Good styles for very thick hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skylight

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've got a client who is thinking about a restyle and has asked me for suggestions. She has the thickest hair i've ever seen, coloured blonde - solid colour, she has quite a long face and says that long hair doesn't suit it, so tends towards somewhere between chin length to shoulder length. It's really too thick for a side sweep so it ends up parted just on one side of the middle. The hair is naturally kinky, not curly enough for curls but she has to straighten it or it's all over the place (and not in a good way!) I know we're always complaining we wish we had more hair but she finds hers a nightmare, and all the funkier styles she likes are suited to fine to medium hair. There's nothing wrong with her current style really but it's just quite old fashioned looking for her age. It's been sliced through the ends, but this just makes the mid lengths look mega thick in contrast and she has to keep flattening it down. Sorry it's harder to describe cut than colour and i don't have a pic, but has anyone done any great cuts on really thick hair, she wants to avoid what she calls the 'mushroom head' :biggrin: X

I would
Definitely say a longer
Fringe or shaping around face that's
Shorter to shorten the long face. As for the layering I'd probably blow dry it and cut it by eye using various texturising techniques(deep point cutting etc), I find taking more weight from underneath and leaving the top layers longer helps although without touching and seeing it its harder to know! ;)

Agree. Sounds like quite a mane she has (lucky her!)
As well as the suggestions of ThirtySix, have a think about the suitability for a Keratin Blow dry....may keep it a little tamer and reduce the need for straightening?
xx

Agree. Sounds like quite a mane she has (lucky her!)
As well as the suggestions of ThirtySix, have a think about the suitability for a Keratin Blow dry....may keep it a little tamer and reduce the need for straightening?
xx

Was just thinking the same Jojo!

Great minds :wink2:

Thanks, I hadn't thought of recommending that, maybe would give the appearance of a bit less volume too as it's borderline dry which makes it look thicker. Wish i could post a pic! I think the real trick will be finding the best way of getting that volume out of the last few inches. Would you use thinning scissors, or just cutting and slicing techniques? She would like a broken up look to the ends, not too neat. X

Thanks, I hadn't thought of recommending that, maybe would give the appearance of a bit less volume too as it's borderline dry which makes it look thicker. Wish i could post a pic! I think the real trick will be finding the best way of getting that volume out of the last few inches. Would you use thinning scissors, or just cutting and slicing techniques? She would like a broken up look to the ends, not too neat. X

I would mainly use techniques. As for thinning scissors I hate them!! Except for in a few things! Texturisers on the other hand can be great! If you go by eye and freehand you will achieve a much more broken up look. Don't be tempted to connect the layers etc too much! ;)

Thanks guys, feeling nervous :eek: was thinking of suggesting something like these pics of Dido, where the longer layer reaching her shoulders is just a small section and therefore will avoid being a fat chunk, what do you think?? X
dido3.jpg

dido2.jpg

dido.jpg

How long is her hair now? The shorter you go, the wider it gets dont forget ;-) xx

Chin length bob at the minute, so she'd have to grow the underneath layers out to get this effect, thought that might decrease the impression of width? X

PS Prob wouldn't cut in the short fringe, she's got one to about cheekbones at minute and wouldn't dare to crop it too much... xx

Yep, just go for it with the slicing and texturising! BEst bit I think, bloody good fun :wink2:

oooh i love thick hair....id proberly create either a dawn french assymetric bob or kim kardashian volume to what you decribed.

Assymetric coz once you've dealt with all the slices, it'll be shorter and your create a bit of lightness to it. Easily to look after and still trendy.

The kim kardashion longer sleek look is dependen on her length, by showing your client what she already has and how to "sex" it up. id deep point cut some layers to create some flow/lightness and also show you client that beachy waves are soo in.

Condition wise maybe optismooth to control the frizz/tame the hair. hths xoxo

Thanks everyone, good to know that after a bit more experience i'll be looking forward to the challenge like you guys :) Xx

Latest posts

Back