Goodbye Gelish, hello Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't find Gelish to be stronger than Shellac when I was wearing it ... In fact Shellac felt both stronger and harder to me and Gelish felt much more bendy especially after washing up with my hands in hot water. I think the 'gel is stronger' argument is a Myth and been promoted for far too long and by too many people who haven't used both products on themselves to test.

Shellac offers a variety of choices for what ever strength a client needs, but even by itself it is quite strong enough for most normal healthy nails.

Good luck with your Shellac business OP.

Yep this is what I am finding and it's hard to explain to clients oh I will get them eventually. I rang sweetsquared today and they said the shelf life of shellac once opened and provided you look after them is 12months. The size of the bottles is perfect for me as I don't do many clients (mostly HD)
Just FYI shelf life of Gelish is 3 years.

Just FYI shelf life of Gelish is 3 years.

We all know that that really is not true! I cannot believe that NH claims a 3 year shelf life for a gel in a bottle that lets light into it from a hole in the label!! I kept my Gelish in a cupboard (the same cupboard where I keep all my Shellac incidentally) unused, unopened and untouched for approx 8 months after trialing it and when I took it out to give away to someone each one was solid. I took off the lid and the brush wouldn't even come out of the bottle ... It was stuck fast in the gel.

On the other hand I have some of my original Shellac at home from 4 years ago which is still perfectly useable, but even so CND wouldn't guarantee it for more than a year and I don't think other companies would guarantee theirs for more than that either.

I didn't find Gelish to be stronger than Shellac when I was wearing it ... In fact Shellac felt both stronger and harder to me and Gelish felt much more bendy especially after washing up with my hands in hot water. I think the 'gel is stronger' argument is a Myth and been promoted for far too long and by too many people who haven't used both products on themselves to test.

Shellac offers a variety of choices for what ever strength a client needs, but even by itself it is quite strong enough for most normal healthy nails.

Good luck with your Shellac business OP.

Thank you! My mind is set Shellac it is for me. I want to offer Vinylux & Shellac and they work together so it's perfect. As for the shelf life issue I wouldn't want them to last for three years anyway fingers crossed I'd be busy enough that they would get used up. I am excited and so are my existing clients. Once my cheque clears the order is going in this week excited excited!x if I order the kit with 23 colours does anyone know what colours it includes? I will obviously find out when I order but just intrigued :) x

Thank you! My mind is set Shellac it is for me. I want to offer Vinylux & Shellac and they work together so it's perfect. As for the shelf life issue I wouldn't want them to last for three years anyway fingers crossed I'd be busy enough that they would get used up. I am excited and so are my existing clients. Once my cheque clears the order is going in this week excited excited!x if I order the kit with 23 colours does anyone know what colours it includes? I will obviously find out when I order but just intrigued :) x

S2 can provide you with a list before you order ;) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

i am getting more and more clients "trying" shellac after having other brands elsewhere and they are loving the look and feel of it they are hooked....and they cant believe how quickly it soaks off!!! You will not regret it!

I think the 'gel is stronger' argument is a Myth and been promoted for far too long and by too many people who haven't used both products on themselves to test.

I have tested it on myself! Shellac was not strong enough for me. There are a lot of CND products I do like, but Shellac is not one of them.

Tell me a product that is strong enough for everyone? Even liquid and powder isn't strong enough for everyone! ... but that does not make it weak or inferior to something that may be stronger for a minority of individuals and it doesn't mean that isn't suitable for most individuals .. and Shellac definitely is.

The people who are the hardest on the 2-3 week colour services are the ex enhancement clients. They expect too much and for too long and they shouldn't even be wearing the colour service on its own.

Some have tried to make allot of mileage out of spreading the myth to others that Shellac is not as strong as XYZ .. and it is not correct plus with the options that go along with Shellac there is now a Shellac service that will suit everyone. Shellac and CND is all we use in the salon and we are (I'm proud to say) without doubt the most respected and the busiest and most successful nail salon on the Costa Blanca. :D

Every individual is entitled to make up their own minds and nothing wrong with sharing personal experience as long as it is made clear that it is just one personal experience and not given as a universal truth.

Last edited:
Every individual is entitled to make up their own minds and nothing wrong with sharing personal experience as long as it is made clear that it is just one personal experience and not given as a universal truth.

Exactly

I only use CND nail products in my salon. It's all I've ever needed. I am an all systems nail tech so can cater to every client which makes my salon stand out from the crowd.
Each to their own but I've never felt the need to use another brand and have never been asked for another brand either. If a client wants a certain shade,I'll just create it.
I have every shellac shade and we use them all. Of course we have some colours which are more popular than others but I find that if a colour isn't getting used much I will wear it myself, sometimes i bling it up with glitter or additives and a client will want it. Result.:)

I'm a newbie to shellac a few of my clients have flaky nails on the free edge can they still wear shellac ? I use Gelish on them at mo but I'm introducing shellac in next couple of weeks busy saving :)

I've had my Gelish colours, some for 2yrs and I've put a round sticky label over the window and painted it the colour of the Gelish. Guess what, it's fine! Not set in the bottle! Incidentally, I also offer shellac too as I think both products are excellent.
Some clients ask for Gelish by brand some ask for shellac. I don't see the problem in offering both. Works for me! Jmho x

I'm going to keep my neons as shellac don't seem to do these colours :)

I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm kind of in the same situation.

When I first started out mobile a few years ago, I began using Shellac. I loved some of the colours available, I loved the ease of removal etc. When I started my salon, I introduced a few Gelish colours as they seemed have more variety in colour choice.

At the beginning my clients tried both systems out, eventually seeming to all move over to Gelish. There were claims it lasted longer, didn't chip as easily so the clients had a preference.

To cut a long story short, I didn't buy any new colours in Shellac but gradually built my Gelish collection to over 50 colours because that was what I was using, the Shellac having been relegated to the bottom drawer.

Now I'm having trouble with Gelish removals, they just aren't budging and after 18 months I'm wondering if I made the right decision about bringing in and collecting all of the Gelish that I currently have.

I have mentioned buying more Shellac colours to work alongside Gelish but existing clients claim they don't know the difference (even though I tell them time and time again) and those that have already tried both still continue to say Gelish lasts better on them.

I read so many good things about Shellac in here, and Salon Geek was what made me offer Shellac in the first place and to be honest I'm starting to feel a little envious of all the Shellac techs out there.

I have spent so much money on Gelish and even have the 18g LED lamp, which I love, but I don't want it all to go to waste. I know I can sell it, but I love my lamp :o

And before it's asked.. No I haven't trained in either yet, money has been so tight, but I have my Gelish course booked for the beginning of next month.

I don't know what to do :irked:

I am with you too on the removal thing! I have done my training and do feel that it doesn't easily remove. I love the fact with Shellac that there is no buffing before or after for removal. (People do say they don't even do that with Gelish but I was trained by nail harmony to do so!)
What I now plan to do is purchase my shellac kit tomorrow and run my Gelish along side with the limited colours I have. I like the idea of being soley CND.x

I'm a newbie to shellac a few of my clients have flaky nails on the free edge can they still wear shellac ? I use Gelish on them at mo but I'm introducing shellac in next couple of weeks busy saving :)

Hi Lisa
Sounds like delamination, simply use your koala buffer to gently remove this prior to your shellac application and then it won't be at risk of lifting

HTH
Samantha xoxo

I'm just starting to tell my clients that I'm introducing a bit of shellac along side Gelish they asking what's the difference what's best thing to tell them without the science bit. ?

I'm just starting to tell my clients that I'm introducing a bit of shellac along side Gelish they asking what's the difference what's best thing to tell them without the science bit. ?
Clients are only interested in what's in it for them if they use it.

What's in it for them is ...

Zero dry time.
Zero nail buffing and damage.
Shorter service time.
Mirror-like shine that stays that way.
Beautiful classy colours.
And
Faster removal time.

Look what I've just got 😁

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1371208322.666293.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1371208322.666293.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 115
So having a go with my shellac Tutti Fruiti and brush almost seems set? Same with my top coat, any solutions for this or do I have faulty brushes. They don't seem to fan if that makes sense x

Latest posts

Back