Goodbye Gelish, hello Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemjem33

Reaction score
Hi,
So being so impressed with CND Vinylux polish I am not beginning to regret my Gelish route....
I am full considering selling up and then getting Shellac?! Thoughts people?
I love how fast moving CND are with innovative products and ideas and for use of as a mobile part time therapist it's more affordable! I feel a little priced out of Gelish and finding it hard to build a good collection.
Would I be doing the right thing?!x

I'm not sure what you mean by priced out of Gelish ? Cost wise I think Gelish is more cost effective.
Gelish bottles are 15 ml compared to the 7ml Shellac bottles.
Regarding taking on Shellac, it is a good idea, I have recently taken it on and find it works well alongside my Gelish services. With the addition of Brisa Lite, and Vinylux I feel I have a broad range of products to suit every client no matter the condition of their natural nails.

I'm not sure what you mean by priced out of Gelish ? Cost wise I think Gelish is more cost effective.
Regarding taking on Shellac, it is a good idea, I have recently taken it on and find it works well alongside my Gelish services. With the addition of Brisa Lite, and Vinylux I feel I have a broad range of products to suit every client no matter the condition of their natural nails.

Exactly, why stick with one when you can have both.
some people like gels others don't, so if you have shellac, Vinylux and Gelish you are catering for all tastes.

win win x

I agree with the above and I use both products, actually all 3 lo shellac vinylux and gelish and I ave happy clients as can cater for all :)

I do recommend tho training to use shellaac as totally different to Gelish

I think you need to factor in a few other points not just the price of the colour coat!
CND Shellac only ever requires 2 coats of colour with beautiful opacity even with black! Saves you money not having to apply 3/4 coats.
CND Shellac requires PEP no removal of surface shine, saves you the cost of the nail file.
CND Shellac doesn't require a primer or 'dry brushing' again saving you the money of those two products.
When removing CND Shellac you don't need to 'break the seal' therefore using less time and again saving the cost of a file.
And my favourite thing about CND Shellac is the time it takes to removed!! Anyone that has tried it compared to another product will know what a breeze it is to remove! This saves you a lot of time! And time costs money :)

Again don't feel you have to throw something away you can use the systems along side each other then just don't replenish the other range when it runs out! Just remember to use the full system for both products don't mix and match!

Hi,
Thanks for the points made....
I wasn't meaning the cost effectiveness of bottles, I meant for the cost of my Gelish kit/lamp etc I actually could have more products from Shellac for my money!
Don't get me wrong I LOVE Gelish! But it's hard to build the collection when funds are tight and with them bringing a new collection out all the time I am struggling to keep up! ( I know CND are doing the same)
I would love to offer both that was y intention but with its being a part time thing and also offering other services this isn't fees able for me. I'm going to sit down tonight with pen/paper/calculator or see what's my best option. Thank you for advise so far!x

CND Shellac only ever requires 2 coats of colour with beautiful opacity even with black! Saves you money not having to apply 3/4 coats.

That's not strictly true as a lot of us have found the new colours sheerer and need 3 coats plus if you're having to layer colours to get a shade that may be a standalone Gelish colour, that usually needs 3 coats (2 coats of base colour then coat of layered colour)

Don't get me wrong shellac is a great product and I don't think it can be beaten for ease of removal but there are pros and cons to everything.

Hi,
Thanks for the points made....
I wasn't meaning the cost effectiveness of bottles, I meant for the cost of my Gelish kit/lamp etc I actually could have more products from Shellac for my money!
Don't get me wrong I LOVE Gelish! But it's hard to build the collection when funds are tight and with them bringing a new collection out all the time I am struggling to keep up! ( I know CND are doing the same)
I would love to offer both that was y intention but with its being a part time thing and also offering other services this isn't fees able for me. I'm going to sit down tonight with pen/paper/calculator or see what's my best option. Thank you for advise so far!x

Jemjem if you need any help with cost per service and kit you need etc just pm me. I'm a numbers girls so love a good spread sheet lol

CND Shellac requires PEP no removal of surface shine, saves you the cost of the nail file.
CND Shellac doesn't require a primer or 'dry brushing' again saving you the money of those two products.
When removing CND Shellac you don't need to 'break the seal' therefore using less time and again saving the cost of a file.

:lol: a bit pedantic here, I love your enthusiasm and commitment, but really, we are nail techs we have plenty files and brushes :biggrin:
OP I take your point now, I'm lucky I planned ahead and have always used the CND UV lamp with my Gelish just in case I ever took it on so that I would not incur too much expense when I did.

They do work well together....but once you get used to the easy removal,of Shellac, I bet you start persuading your clients to use it more :wink2: !

I'm thinking the same at mo just ordered a collection of vinylux polishes did a test run on myself and loved it. Got the mini summer set the colours are beautiful , now thinking of maybe using the shellac polish along side and see how I get on trouble is just spent £300 on the 18g lamp

You DONT need to remove the shine prior to gelish application, never have
You DONT need to dry brush and....
You DONT need to break the seal when soaking off and to be honest that takes about 10 seconds.

I'm thinking the same at mo just ordered a collection of vinylux polishes did a test run on myself and loved it. Got the mini summer set the colours are beautiful , now thinking of maybe using the shellac polish along side and see how I get on trouble is just spent £300 on the 18g lamp

I would have loved the 18g lamp but it's a expense I just cannot justify.

But it is hard to build up a Gelish collection and true the shellac bottle are cheaper but half the size but it would be easier to get your colour collection going.

mmm decisions, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for yourself though. xx

Personally I wouldnt jump the gelish ship just yet cos a little later down the line you may regret it.

Do you have an 18g lamp?, if so you could sell that and the money could get you going in shellac.

Hi,
So being so impressed with CND Vinylux polish I am not beginning to regret my Gelish route....
I am full considering selling up and then getting Shellac?! Thoughts people?
I love how fast moving CND are with innovative products and ideas and for use of as a mobile part time therapist it's more affordable! I feel a little priced out of Gelish and finding it hard to build a good collection.
Would I be doing the right thing?!x

I've been doing gelish for the past year which i really like and I've just invested in shellac which I love and actually prefer but that's only IMO, I decided to add shellac because I wanted to use the Brisa light smoothing and sculpting gel and I now can as they do the build it course so as a natural nail girl this takes me to the next step in my training, I've got all three courses booked so I think I'm swaying more shellac then gelish xx

:lol: a bit pedantic here, I love your enthusiasm and commitment, but really, we are nail techs we have plenty files and brushes :biggrin:
OP I take your point now, I'm lucky I planned ahead and have always used the CND UV lamp with my Gelish just in case I ever took it on so that I would not incur too much expense when I did.

They do work well together....but once you get used to the easy removal,of Shellac, I bet you start persuading your clients to use it more :wink2: !

Have you read Lynn's thread on will it make the boat go faster? Professional nail files add up!! Yes I may be a tight arse but if you added them all up you would save a bob or two.

In reply to the DON'Ts!! Lol
If you check will gelish manufactours instructions you DO have to the the things you listed :)

Have you read Lynn's thread on will it make the boat go faster? Professional nail files add up!! Yes I may be a tight arse but if you added them all up you would save a bob or two.

In reply to the DON'Ts!! Lol
If you check will gelish manufactours instructions you DO have to the the things you listed :)
This made me chuckle but good point. OP - will Shellac over Gelish now make your boat go faster, are you losing work because you have Gelish. They bring out new collections - do you need them, are your clients demanding the latest colours? I think you need to consider your audience - what do they want out of your service and do your sums accordingly. x

Amelia, do you have the link for that thread for making the boat go faster?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

Just use the search function and you should find it :)

I find CND bring out collections at good times and not too many colours at once! Everyone moaned there wasn't enough CND Shellac colours at first but I was happy as its less money to spend buying all those colours! With CND shellac there isn't one colour I wouldn't want/use ok if you starting out maybe not all the French colours but there's not that many!

I'm the kind of girl that likes EVERYTHING!! ....yes it makes my boat go slower.... But I would hate for a client to come in and say ohh my friend had a lovely CND Shellac colour called blah blah can I have it please .... Then for my answer to be .. No sorry I don't have that one! That's my NIGHTMARE so I do have every CND Shellac colour but then I've had it since day 1 so I haven't had to buy them all at once but you do get your money worth from those little bottle :)

I got the 6g lamp but was still a fortune! I think I'd rather give my client more of an option rather than a limited choice... Since I got my Gelish kit at the start of the year there's already been two new collections!
I am one for wanting everything and not just bits but how am I meant to keep up with that when I'm a part timer doing this? Also being part time surely the smaller bottles would be better for me (shelf life etc)
I really did think about this too and did a lot of research at the start but sometimes we get it wrong and I think I have. Hmmmmmm what to do?

I use both - I prefer Shellac for removal and I prefer Gelish for application. I use the CND lamp for both. I wouldn't choose between them, I'd use use both and keep yours (and your clients) options open. x

I use my CND lamp with my ACG and have zero problems whatsover despite what the manufacturers state. In fact all my prep products that I use are CND's too. Gelish are hardly going to recommend another companies products.

I use 2 systems and find I'm also able to offer something to everyone.

Shellac isn't a cure all for every client, just like ACG or any other gel polish is either, nothing wrong with a bit of variety. :)

Latest posts

Back