got a shop HELP !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haylznailz

uniquelicious
Reaction score
Hi all

well i have got my shop sorted just in the process of decorating
can all you pros out there run through things that i may need to know and do

when opening a shop ? just in case i have missed something
i need as much help as poss as im new to this game

i have been working from home but decided its not big enough
i need my own space in a shop rather then havin the public
here in my home all the time

are you with me ?

help of you all would be great

thanks in advance

hi hayls...
well first off i went to SOHBAC business link...they gave me a nail technician profile and it included all the ins and out etc etc...
its mad...did u know u even need a licence to play music to the public, and a licence to have a board outside...
u have to have insurance for ur decor, equipment, employee liability and public liability...and u have to have a 5 lever dead lock, ur own entrance etc etc...well thats what all the insurance companies told moi...
the bank is a good source of info too, if u pick up a business banking pack it covers a lot of the info for business start up...
a bt line
first aid
risk assessment
sign writer for sign and window display
advertising and leaflet drop (advertising costs a bomb but well worth it - and i advise to keep on top of it too till uve got a full book)
contract for rent/lease agreement/include minimum lease term...
cant fink of owt else...if i do ile let u know, any probs email me hun vicx

national insurance contributions also, and if u employ anyone u need to register as an employer...

hi vic

thanks for all that was a great help

my partner is a painter and decorater so he will do all that
im insured with ant just got to sort out liablity insurance
and shop insurance etc

the shop is owned by a huge company its like in a new shopping prectinict
if you know what i mean theres a pic of it on nail mates my site
vic if you have a look im doing a before and after LOL

as for the advertising i shall be doing all the flyers etc myself
i have been doing a few past weeks and they dont look to bad

i shall pay ikea a visit to get all my furniture
id like the proper beauty furniture proper desk etc
but i simply cant afford to have loans etc

so just going to be plain and simple to start with but modern and trendy

yes i will get my first aid kit

didnt know you needed a license for playing music though tut tut
what next hey

other then that i think i may have covered everything

i you guys will put me right if i havnt

thanks again

Good luck to you with your shop. I have just done the same, and Vic is already there but i can add the following:

Hanging Voile - very cheap per metre - in a cool colour - around windows etc looks brill. Mine cost about £9 including two holders (cant think of technical word!!! :D ) and EVERYONE coments on it.

I worked a colour theme, purple and silver and bought little things like candles, pretty boxes etc in these colours and these just went on shelves etc to look pretty.

A silver/gold frame with your prices in the window and some ribbon(present ribbon) looks cool.

My mums idea - thank you mum - was to fix sample nail art nails to pretty shells. She got some really shiny conical ones for 85p each and I fixed nails to them with white tack.

You must have Material Safety Data Sheets for all your products too! You can get Creative ones from Creative website, others from your suppliers.

GOOD LUCK :D Join the shop gang!! I only opened last Friday and am loving it. I spent a bit on 2 ads, but did all marketing material myself, and has gone down well!

Lesleyxx

Good luck to you and your new shop..........

Just a thought tho, don't forget the fire inspection and the extinguishers lol.If you have a shop window you will also need a plated glass insurance, just incase the window should collaps and hurt some innocent soul out ont the pavement .................
just my tuppence worth
But as I said good luck

love Ruth xxxx

hiya :D
i wish you lots of good fortune in your new venture. :D
i opened my salon 16 yrs ago(was it really that long!), there have obviously been some hard times but loads of good memories too.
i only wish that i'd had the collective knowledge & experience of this board back then!
use this board as much as poss. & i'm sure you will go from strength to strength.
not much else to add except don't get too big to quick, & if poss. have a "slush" fund(even a small one) for emergencies :shock:
keep us informed on your progress
lol liza xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back