Grampy Geek vs. The Fear Fairies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
According to my Grampy legend has it that unbeknownst to us late at night whilst we sleep, the mystic little Fear Fairies are hard at work sewing together webs of misunderstanding and confusion.
Why would they do this you might ponder whilst tapping the theme from Eastenders upon your temple with your nagger finger? Well, according to Grampy, things have just gotten progressively worse for them since those Cottingley photographs.
In this months article we will look at some common myths that these teeny thugs have been pumping out as of late.

Organic products are better for the nail.

This concept ebbs and flows with the clarity of a tropical Blackpool Paradise resort.
What is the benefit of an Organic nail enhancement system? Is it safer? Is it healthier? Will it give me biceps that would turn the Hulk green with envy?

We all naturally associate the word Organic with peace, love and soft fluffy bunnies. That is because the word “Organic” sounds great compared to its antithesis sounding cousin “Chemical” which we have all been brought up to believe is a synonym for nuclear-disaster. Funnily enough, in chemistry the word “Organic” is defined as a compound (or chemical) containing carbon. For example, humans are carbon based life forms (or so Spock claims) we can be considered Organic. In fact, a hell ova lot of stuff can be classified as ‘Organic’. Come to think of it… I can not come up with a single nail enhancement product that is not organic. I can also think of no particular reason why it would benefit a nail technician to believe that their product is Organic whereas others are supposedly not… I mean, isn’t it like someone marketing you their Milk as being All-White?

Drills are the root of all evil and suffering

Some people get really up in arms when the dreaded D word is mentioned. Parties on both side of the fence get themselves into a frothing frenzy announcing and denouncing the benefits and dangers of Electric Files.

The key concerns regarding the safe use of Electric Files are the following:
  • They cause more fine dust particulates which can pose a greater health risk than hand filing alone.
  • They can aggravate some CTD’s like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.
  • They can cause massive micro shattering of your product leading to weaker enhancements.
  • There is a dramatic increase in the potential for nail plate damage when using an electric file.
Does this mean they are evil? I don’t believe so. I do find it evil that anyone with some £££ and zero training can purchase electric files right off of a shelf and start to go to work on clients. In fact, I had the pleasure of watching one of these individuals with no training actually drill through a natural nail plate whilst working on a paying customer. Was the Electric Files to blame, or was it the technician, or the seller of the Electric File?
While I do not personally use Electric Files, they do have a place for many within our industry when combined with proper certification and some common sense (like never using an electric file one on the natural nail plate). Tools are not evil, only lack of education is.

ABC products are bad for your nail plate so you should be using XYZ

Here we start running into the Organic trap again. Any liquid and powder system, Gel system, Fibreglass and or Resin system are all acrylics and therefore all as potentially harmful and/or beneficial for your nail plate as the other.
There is not a system around that can cause damage to your natural nail plate all by its lonesome so therefore there is not a system around that is better or worse for the natural nail plate. It all comes down to the application, maintenance, and removal of the system in question.
However there are some systems that lend themselves to promoting nail plate damage simply through their use. For instance, MMA can not cause damage to the natural nail plate; however it does require massive abrasion to the surface of the nail plate in order to get any adhesion (for you naysayer, there is plenty of laboratory data to prove this). Therefore, if you use MMA, chances are your clients plates are ruined from your preparation techniques, not MMA.

Final thoughts

Final? I think not. I am only getting warmed up. Sadly however, I hit my word count limit for this article round about 3 paragraphs ago and therefore I must continue this discussion another time for fear of Al’s fairies coming over to ruffle me up. The last item I shall part with is something my Grampy used to say to me when I was but a wee lad.

“Do not feed the fear fairies with the ignorance that makes them fat and full of sass; slap them with a dose of education upside their big ol wing tipped um…er… buttcheek.” –Grampy Geek

Hello Mr. Geek. As usual your article is well researched and very well written. You have an incredible knack for humorous and entertaining communication. I would like to add a little about electric files as our company is pro electric files.

"They cause more fine dust particulates which can pose a greater health risk than hand filing alone."

I agree but I hope that Professional Nail Technicians use proper and adequate ventilation.

"They can aggravate some CTD’s like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome."

The repetitive motion associated with doing nails can cause CTS with or without an electric file - stretching exercises can help prevent these as well as a smaller/lighter handpiece. Ergonomically correct work habits are crucial when performing any tasks that have repetitive motion on a daily basis.

"They can cause massive micro shattering of your product leading to weaker enhancements."

You say "can cause". It may be noticed under a microscope but does it really cause weaker enhancements for the period between fills? Has any studies been done to support this claim? My wife is a Nail Technician since 1975 and has always used an electric file and her clients go three weeks between fills with rarely any breakage.

"There is a dramatic increase in the potential for nail plate damage when using an electric file."

There is also a dramatic increase for a carpenter to cut of an appendage when using a circular saw. I also agree with you here. No one should not be able to purchase an electric file without first having being trained to use it. I have seen the dreaded rings of files caused by Nail Techs with and without electric files.

Regards,

Tim Rochemont
www.nailbasics.ca

Hey Tim,

Thanks for your response. I am not anti-e-files, I am merely anti-answertoallnailproblemsinanelectricsolution.

You are totally correct with saying that any repetitive motion with the wrist can aggravate CTD's. The point that I am trying to make is that many forgo manual filing thinking that e-files will save them from CTD's. Working smarter and frequent breaks and stretches are the answer regardless of manual filing or e-filing.

The micro shattering has been proven to weaken enhancements. Whether or not the nail technician experiences more frequent breakages as a result is down to how thick enhancements are applied and what type of technology is used with the systems.

I concur 100% and am delighted that you seem to agree that if an electric file is to be used, it should only be done with training.

Know the consequences and make an informed decision. That truly is the answer for any situation.

Take care.

The Nail Geek said:
According to my Grampy legend has it that unbeknownst to us late at night whilst we sleep, the mystic little Fear Fairies are hard at work sewing together webs of misunderstanding and confusion.
Why would they do this you might ponder whilst tapping the theme from Eastenders upon your temple with your nagger finger? Well, according to Grampy, things have just gotten progressively worse for them since those Cottingley photographs.
In this months article we will look at some common myths that these teeny thugs have been pumping out as of late.

Organic products are better for the nail.

This concept ebbs and flows with the clarity of a tropical Blackpool Paradise resort.
What is the benefit of an Organic nail enhancement system? Is it safer? Is it healthier? Will it give me biceps that would turn the Hulk green with envy?

We all naturally associate the word Organic with peace, love and soft fluffy bunnies. That is because the word “Organic” sounds great compared to its antithesis sounding cousin “Chemical” which we have all been brought up to believe is a synonym for nuclear-disaster. Funnily enough, in chemistry the word “Organic” is defined as a compound (or chemical) containing carbon. For example, humans are carbon based life forms (or so Spock claims) we can be considered Organic. In fact, a hell ova lot of stuff can be classified as ‘Organic’. Come to think of it… I can not come up with a single nail enhancement product that is not organic. I can also think of no particular reason why it would benefit a nail technician to believe that their product is Organic whereas others are supposedly not… I mean, isn’t it like someone marketing you their Milk as being All-White?

Drills are the root of all evil and suffering

Some people get really up in arms when the dreaded D word is mentioned. Parties on both side of the fence get themselves into a frothing frenzy announcing and denouncing the benefits and dangers of Electric Files.

The key concerns regarding the safe use of Electric Files are the following:
  • They cause more fine dust particulates which can pose a greater health risk than hand filing alone.
  • They can aggravate some CTD’s like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.
  • They can cause massive micro shattering of your product leading to weaker enhancements.
  • There is a dramatic increase in the potential for nail plate damage when using an electric file.
Does this mean they are evil? I don’t believe so. I do find it evil that anyone with some £££ and zero training can purchase electric files right off of a shelf and start to go to work on clients. In fact, I had the pleasure of watching one of these individuals with no training actually drill through a natural nail plate whilst working on a paying customer. Was the Electric Files to blame, or was it the technician, or the seller of the Electric File?
While I do not personally use Electric Files, they do have a place for many within our industry when combined with proper certification and some common sense (like never using an electric file one on the natural nail plate). Tools are not evil, only lack of education is.

ABC products are bad for your nail plate so you should be using XYZ

Here we start running into the Organic trap again. Any liquid and powder system, Gel system, Fibreglass and or Resin system are all acrylics and therefore all as potentially harmful and/or beneficial for your nail plate as the other.
There is not a system around that can cause damage to your natural nail plate all by its lonesome so therefore there is not a system around that is better or worse for the natural nail plate. It all comes down to the application, maintenance, and removal of the system in question.
However there are some systems that lend themselves to promoting nail plate damage simply through their use. For instance, MMA can not cause damage to the natural nail plate; however it does require massive abrasion to the surface of the nail plate in order to get any adhesion (for you naysayer, there is plenty of laboratory data to prove this). Therefore, if you use MMA, chances are your clients plates are ruined from your preparation techniques, not MMA.

Final thoughts

Final? I think not. I am only getting warmed up. Sadly however, I hit my word count limit for this article round about 3 paragraphs ago and therefore I must continue this discussion another time for fear of Al’s fairies coming over to ruffle me up. The last item I shall part with is something my Grampy used to say to me when I was but a wee lad.

“Do not feed the fear fairies with the ignorance that makes them fat and full of sass; slap them with a dose of education upside their big ol wing tipped um…er… buttcheek.” –Grampy Geek

Fab Mister Samuel. I thought that only ppl from Northampton - what a load of old cobblers they are -:D heehee no offence - you old cobblers know what I mean:green: called the oldies (men) Grampy - I'd never heard of it before I met my old man!!!! As for the Cottingley fairies I have lived all my life around or in Cottingley and to this day have I not seen them. All I have seen is wisdom from The Nail Geek:green: :Love:

Your articles are very informative and funny. I learn so much form this site. Thanks

Latest posts

Back