Grape Gum

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiggs81

Reaction score
Hi geeks
I find grape gum needs 3 coats and even then the finish can look patchy. Has anybody tried layering it with another colour first to give a more opaque finish without altering the colour too much?

This happened mine and no matter how hard I shook it , it always looked dull and streaky.

I got a toothpick and gave it a stir, there was a lot of pigment stuck to the bottom of the bottle and after a good stir gives good coverage in 2 coats :)

Might work for you ;)

This happened mine and no matter how hard I shook it , it always looked dull and streaky.

I got a toothpick and gave it a stir, there was a lot of pigment stuck to the bottom of the bottle and after a good stir gives good coverage in 2 coats :)

Might work for you ;)

Ooh thanks for the tip. I might have to give this a try as mine is the same, it's patchy but I love the colour just don't like having to do 3/4 coats. The usual tapping and turning was not working just made my hand red from tapping lol. ;) xxx

Mine's the same, 3-4 coats to get a half decent finish. It's at the point now where I gently persuade my clients towards other colours!
Will try the toothpick straight away!

Was going to post the same thing the other night...got 2 coats of grape gum on and looks patchy but thought it might of been my application...so I'm not the only one. Will give the tooth pick a go. Did anyone else find that it was shrinking away from the edges or was it just because I was putting it on top of Brisa sculpting gel?

Was going to post the same thing the other night...got 2 coats of grape gum on and looks patchy but thought it might of been my application...so I'm not the only one. Will give the tooth pick a go. Did anyone else find that it was shrinking away from the edges or was it just because I was putting it on top of Brisa sculpting gel?

No it shrinks quite badly, the free edge often needs a second cap quickly before the last cure to ensure the colour stays right up to the edge. I battle with grape gum so I'm off to try the toothpick stir too :0) I do love this colour though

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

I have the same problem with cake pop :(

Me too!! Love grape gum but it annoys me! It was the first one I done on myself and I thought it was just my application but I done a clients nails a couple of weeks ago and on a few of them I had to do 3 coats! Will try the toothpick tonight lol x

I find that too, I now use one coat rock royalty and two grape gum and it still looks nice and bright. :)

X

Wish I would have read this before today! Just had a client wanting grape gum and ended up doing 3 coats and it still didn't look great. It was a new client so was really annoyed that it didn't come out so well and looked very different to my colour pop. Will have to try the toothpick trick!

does anyone have this with Rubble to. i dread using it even after 3 coats still looks patch! defiantly going to try toothpick test! :Grope:

does anyone have this with Rubble to. i dread using it even after 3 coats still looks patch! defiantly going to try toothpick test! :Grope:

Rubble looks great in two coats for me. Do you give it a really good shake?

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

yes really shook it :( i now dread using it just seems to give full coverage on tip/free edge x

I've got rubble on at the mo with 2 coats and it is patchy but thought it was me as I've only just started using shellac. I did give it a good shake but will try the toothpick next time. I was warned off grape gum when I did my shellac training so I bought a different one xx

I've had no probs with either grape gum or rubble. Weird.

I read in another thread (from Sarahh5678) , that laying Blush Teddy, Lobster Roll, Limeade and Grape Gum, with Cream Puff or Studio White helps make them more opaque so that should help coverage. I haven't tried it yet, myself but it might be worth a go.

Latest posts

Back