Great article in the Daily Mail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
Good article, I shall be posting on my business FB page! I was dreeding reading it, as it was a 'Mail' article, but it might do us a favour in terms of educating the masses! Thanks

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

There is some very uninformed information in that article (as usual) especially the first few paragraphs from Louise Thomas-Minms.

Samuel's info was accurate and informative, but what hope is there when these newspapers can't even get his job description right? Lol

However there is for once, some good advice in what to look for in better end salons and for that I am greatful.

I don't understand what discount nail salons do different to other salons apart from the glue? Are we not ruining our nails anyway? Iv been to discount nail salons where they use an electric file and iv also been to a home salon where she also uses an electric file. Friends that iv spoken to have had their nails done at other places and they knock them off in a week, iv heard using an electric file helps them to stay on better! This is only what I have heard though x

Thanks for the link Lynne. I shall be linking this on my Facebook page in the hope that the £5 a set squad will take note although sadly, in todays climate it is unlikely :( Some of the sights I see there are atrocious at best lol xxx

I don't understand what discount nail salons do different to other salons apart from the glue? Are we not ruining our nails anyway? Iv been to discount nail salons where they use an electric file and iv also been to a home salon where she also uses an electric file. Friends that iv spoken to have had their nails done at other places and they knock them off in a week, iv heard using an electric file helps them to stay on better! This is only what I have heard though x

Blimey!

Very often nss will use MMA, which is ghastly, ghastly stuff, and it doesn't adhere terribly well to the natural nail so the nail plate is filed down to provide a key.
The net net of this is that the nail plate becomes so paper thin that it causes pain and lasting damage.
But then, as a nail professional I'm sure you know all this...

IMO the article will at least highlight MMA and the very fact that this is banned in some other countries speaks for itself. Despite the few inaccuracies, the more people read it the better.

IMO if nail enhancements are applied correctly and maintained correctly, they should not cause damage to the nail plate, unlike some of the damaged nails I have seen - over filing, rings of fire and infections to mention a few. E-files are good tools in the right hands and never used on the natural nail. Lets hope a little bit of information, as in the Mail article, goes a long way!

Thank you for sharing this Lynne.
Rhiannon x

Blimey is right!

Not sure if you are a nail technician, but if what you wrote is what you really believe then you need some serious training. :hug:

I haven't ruined my nails in 27 years of wearing nail enhancements!

Whether nails are damaged or not is entirely in our (hopefully) well-educated hands, and whether or not you as the technician, choose to treat the natural nailplate with respect or not. If you choose not to respect the health of your clients' nails then nail damage will be part of your clients' experience whilst in your 'care'.

I have always had pride in myself for keeping my clients natural nails, undamaged and in good health.

All nails become somewhat dehydrated when wearing nail enhancements just as my hair is more dry and brittle when it is coloured ... Although some may class this as 'damage', the signs of damage can be mitigated or reversed by using good moisturising products ... and the same is true for nails.

The reputable products we use for nail enhancement to not ruin nails ... But badly educated nail technicians really do. If you are seeing badly damaged nails on your client then I seriously suggest more and better training.

Last edited:
Hollie, are you serious? As Lynne said NSS use MMA, its as good as pouring cement on your nails, if you catch that it can take your natural nail off too. An electric file should not be used on natural nails regardless of what type of salon! And applied and removed correctly, by a trained nail technician enhancements don't wreck your nails. They only do damage when clients don't follow homecare and/or try to remove them by themselves, I've had enhancements on my nails for years, and I took them all off the other night, and my nails are perfect underneath. But again, Lynne put it perfectly, As a professional you would know all this already.

Geeg beat me to it lol :) xx

Cheap glues containing MMA :rolleyes: dearie me

@Hollie90: how can you have nails on your profile as a service you offer yet be so uninformed? You might be ruining your own nails anyway but most serious techs worth their salt are perfectly capable of providing a non-damaging service.

I'm not in this business to get a reputation for knackering people's nails. That would be unthinkable. As has been suggested, some (or more) training is a must if you want to be informed about your industry.

An electric file DOESN'T help the nails stay on longer. It (potentially in the wrong hands) seriously damages the natural nails . . I've seen plenty of "rings of fire" . . . and a lot of NSS salons use them because they are using the crappy kind of l&p with MMA which sets like concrete and a hand file won't touch them.

Do some searches on here on NSS or MMA, there's tons of info

Cheap glues containing MMA :rolleyes: dearie me

@Hollie90: how can you have nails on your profile as a service you offer yet be so uninformed? You might be ruining your own nails anyway but most serious techs worth their salt are perfectly capable of providing a non-damaging service.

I'm not in this business to get a reputation for knackering people's nails. That would be unthinkable. As has been suggested, some (or more) training is a must if you want to be informed about your industry.

An electric file DOESN'T help the nails stay on longer. It (potentially in the wrong hands) seriously damages the natural nails . . I've seen plenty of "rings of fire" . . . and a lot of NSS salons use them because they are using the crappy kind of l&p with MMA which sets like concrete and a hand file won't touch them.

Do some searches on here on NSS or MMA, there's tons of info

Actually an electric file does help MMA stay on longer because without a rough surface MMA wouldn't stick to the nail plate! That really says it all doesn't it?

Don't use MMA, use good branded lines of product plus excellent training and good healthy application techniques and we should not have to defend what we do in the newspapers !!

It's bad nail technicians who give nail services a bad name... Period!

This is to everyone ... Not getting at the poster above !
Take responsibility for the bad practices you (if the cap fits) use and learn how to do the job in a responsible safe way.

Before we get into a bashing session it might be that Hollie really has been misinformed.
We all know that there are some dreadful courses out there that mislead people into thinking that they are, upon completion, a "professional".
Hollie, this is meant genuinely: get yourself along to a real, proper, nail tech and have a set of nails to be proud of.
This is a genuine offer. When you find one (perhaps one of the lovely geeks on here will oblige), let me know and I will pay for it. It would be lovely for you to experience what it should be like.
Like I said, genuine offer.

I'm not a nail tech I'm a hair dresser and I don't often come on to the mail bit but saw it in the latest section.

I have only had nail extensions a few times years ago and they ruined my nails, I just assumed its what they did, but they did use electric files so maybe that is why,

I found that article really interesting might have to find a good salon and try again x

I'm not a nail tech I'm a hair dresser and I don't often come on to the mail bit but saw it in the latest section.

I have only had nail extensions a few times years ago and they ruined my nails, I just assumed its what they did, but they did use electric files so maybe that is why,

I found that article really interesting might have to find a good salon and try again x

Find a good technician and try again! :green: I'm sure you will get some volunteers.

Meanwhile back at the Article.......

I suppose it is a step forward for the Daily Mail to not just go gung ho and trash the whole nail industry, as this has a bit more balance in it than previous articles.
However there is still a lot of misinformation and because of that I will not be linking it on my FB page.

Find a good technician and try again! :green: I'm sure you will get some volunteers.

Think I will do, it any of you are in the Coventry area pm me :) x

Meanwhile back at the Article.......

I suppose it is a step forward for the Daily Mail to not just go gung ho and trash the whole nail industry, as this has a bit more balance in it than previous articles.
However there is still a lot of misinformation and because of that I will not be linking it on my FB page.

I'm not linking it to mine either for that very same reason.

Even though I don't use an e-file (so no shooting me please :p ) I thought they could be used on natural nails as long as it's the correct attachment with absolutely no pressure (or very little) and on the lowest rpm setting?

As in it just imitates a hand file sort of thing (obviously its a bit stronger)

Latest posts

Back