Great Client - broken nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry's Nails

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first thread, and I am only knew to the Nail Tech scene - I use both Brisa and IBD products, and work from home (or mobile if my clients prefer). Being a Nail Tech is my second job, so I usually only have 2 clients a week after hours, for full sets, and about 1-2 clients a week for refills / repairs / maintenance.
I recently completed a full set on a new client, of whom normally has acrylic applications. ( I only do gel enhancements), so this was all new to her.
Within 2 days of her full set (which I thought were way too long), she broke 2 of them. As soon as she called me I arranged for them to be repaired/replaced the next evening. I explained that even though she works in a clothing store, they may be too long. She agreed to have them shortened to a more practical length, and I replaced the two that had broken, applied more gel to the apex to strengthen them (to make them a little thicker than my normal application technique)
But alas, she rang me again last night (4 days after her repalcements and shortening), and said she had broken more nails. She is not upset with me, nor upset with her new nails (as she takes business cards to leave in her store, and recommends me to new clients - but could I be doing something wrong? Or is it possible that she is really hard on her nails (using them as tools).
The nails are breaking a alittle above her natural smile line (of which she is a reformed nail biter), and not a clean break, usually a corner.
Any thoughts that you have, will help me I am sure.

Have a nice day

Regards
Kerry

Working in a clothing store is one of the most hazardous jobs for nails!!

You may think it is low stress for nails but NO it is not. These chicks use their nails to open boxes, to unbutton clothes do up zips etc etc and put allot of pressure on their nails in doing so.

I used to have allot of clients in the 'rag trade' and they were some of the worst clients for breakages.

It is obvoius to me that she is using the tips of her fingers allot (as you would expect in this trade) and I'm sure her probelms are down to the activity level here and not your work.

I had this happen to me too when I first started to use Brisa.

Are you making them too thin and are you sure that you have built the apex enough ? These were the causes of my problems and they broke in the same place as you describe.

I carefully followed Gigi's tutorial on gel application (also in her book Nailclass)
and the breakages stopped.

HTH

I would use acrylic for this client

as you said the client prefer longer nails and works in a clothing store so she must have really strong nails

when my clients come to me first time i ask them about their temper, occupation and other so i can best fit the methood for them

you don't use liquid and powder so the only way is (as girls said) make them thiker in apex area and keep them short :)

I would use acrylic for this client

as you said the client prefer longer nails and works in a clothing store so she must have really strong nails

when my clients come to me first time i ask them about their temper, occupation and other so i can best fit the methood for them

you don't use liquid and powder so the only way is (as girls said) make them thiker in apex area and keep them short :)

Brisa gel, properly applied, is as strong as L&P so that shouldn't be a problem

well brisa is the strongest gel ever but for me still L&P is stronger:)

well brisa is the strongest gel ever but for me still L&P is stronger:)
I've worn both and find no difference but I suppose we (and our nails) are all different:)

:) I wear veeery long nails up to 4 or 5 and gel is just not for me

though i don't tel my clients that one or another is better or worse

I always say that nail technicians who limit themself just to one methood are like the doctor who would perscribe aspirin for a head ache and broken leg ;)

:) I wear veeery long nails up to 4 or 5 and gel is just not for me

though i don't tel my clients that one or another is better or worse

I always say that nail technicians who limit themself just to one methood are like the doctor who would perscribe aspirin for a head ache and broken leg ;)

Thanks to everyone for their replies. The reason I dont not apply acrylic is that I suffer with migraines, and there is something in the powder and liquid combination that triggers them off. So - this is the reason that I only use gels, and love doing nails, & nail art.
I changed from IBD to Brisa for the strength it has, and it is less runny, easier to build with.
My client has since removed all of her really long nails and on her next appt is opting for short practical sculpts. I am glad that she is easy to get along with, and she has admitted to me that she is pretty rough with her hands. Maybe I can wean her into a longer length, when she learns to look after them.
In the mean time - she is a paying customer and she is referring new clients to me, of which I appreciate.

I have to agree with Patis here. For certain clients, l&p does fare better, in my experience, for clients who's occupation or lifestyle denotes.
Maybe, just maybe, it is because i am way more experienced with l&p..I build up that damn apex to the detriment of mine and the clients free time, though..if it was any bigger the client would need hiking shoes,lol.
Because of my disheartning problems with gels..I will only use them as a natural nail overlay.
Maybe i need to look through Nail class again, in case i have missed something?

Just as a after thought, Kerry, are you using the Brisa lamp?

[Just as a after thought, Kerry, are you using the Brisa lamp?[/quote]

No I am not using a Brisa lamp at the moment, but an IBD 3000 - I would like to get a Brisa one, but need to be more established to be able to afford one. When I started out I bought everything in IBD - slowly changing over, as I experiment and learn more about other brands.
I was building the apex quite heavy with this client, but apparently even with acylics she breaks them - I think she just wants them too long, and they are not suited to her lifestyle.

[Just as a after thought, Kerry, are you using the Brisa lamp?

No I am not using a Brisa lamp at the moment, but an IBD 3000 - I would like to get a Brisa one, but need to be more established to be able to afford one. When I started out I bought everything in IBD - slowly changing over, as I experiment and learn more about other brands.
I was building the apex quite heavy with this client, but apparently even with acylics she breaks them - I think she just wants them too long, and they are not suited to her lifestyle.[/quote]
BINGO, there you go mate, i did my IBD cert and converted to brisa..the IBD lamp is not suited to a full cure for the brisa at all...through my own experience. Honestly you do need the brisa lamp..hate to tell you..it is damn expensive..but it is needed. HTH
If she is even breaking L&P (acrylics) then she is defo wearing them too long..good on you for shortening them.

Kerry very sorry for your health problems :cry:

there are valid reasons why some techs only offer gel or only offer L&P...:)

I am aware of that

but in poland where I come from most techs complain about L&P just because they can't do It

many companies offer only gels so there is a lot of myths about L&P

here many technicians limit their point of view and do not want to open to new techniques and they don't go to further trainings etc

It's a big problem I deal with everyday

I am aware of that

but in Poland where I come from most techs complain about L&P just because they can't do It

many companies offer only gels so there is a lot of myths about L&P

here many technicians limit their point of view and do not want to open to new techniques and they don't go to further trainings etc

It's a big problem I deal with everyday

You are very right Patis and it happens in other countries also. It was very like that in Germany years ago because that country started out using gel so most women know now it and ask for it first. But this is now changing.

To begin with though, All clients heard when L&P hit the scene was, " Oh it is so bad for your nails etc." whereas in the States, Gel has never been the preferred system there because they started out 30 years ago with Liquid & Powder. The early gels in the states were a disaster with many clients having allergic reactions to it and it got a bad name for that ... now opinions are changing there and now people trust their suppliers much more too.

Years ago people were spreading all kinds of lies about other products just because they were frightened of the competition. Some still do it but technicians are much better informed and educated now and can make informed judgements and recognise the BS when they hear it. (I hope you know what BS is!! :lol:)

The industry is growing up at last!

Nice to have you here on the salongeek site. :hug:

BS?? no i have no idea

thx Im also pleased to be here

I run my own forum in poland but it is very small because it is quite young

I found the web address while reading "nail structure and product chemistry" by D.D. Schoon :green:

BS....Hint....comes from a bulls backside...:lol: x

aaww
hehehe I get it

:cool:

Latest posts

Back