Greedy fiancé, need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The beauty lady

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in a predicament. I've recently bought a house with the other half and I was meant to be able to use the summer house or the garage to work from for nails if need be. However because he doesnt want to go back to the pubs after this has passed he has now bought a huge cabin for the garden to make into a lounge / bar. Hes also commandeered the garage for all the bikes and other general family junk. So my though was to carefully plan the cabin so one corner would be empty and I can use a folding table with some nice chairs and pop my nails polishes on a shelf and my equipment in my little trolley and do it that way. I will tidy all my stuff away once I'm done. So you wouldn't know I'd been there. It means I can have a relaxed atmosphere, offer drinks and clean safe space. And means I dont have to have people in my house. What do yous think?

You bought the house together on the understanding that you could work from home in a summerhouse. I’d be very firmly stating that plan isn’t going to change and he can play at being a pub landlord somewhere else.

The idea of a home salon is for it to be a beautiful and calming salon set-up. Realistically, no-ones going to want to get their nails done in a shed smelling of booze.

I had thought about getting a nice big divider. Its wont smell of booze. I normally do mobile but atm would rather my clients came to me when allowed so I couldn't argue spending thousands on a cabin and only using it for a couple of clients who dont mind coming to me

I had thought about getting a nice big divider. Its wont smell of booze. I normally do mobile but atm would rather my clients came to me when allowed so I couldn't argue spending thousands on a cabin and only using it for a couple of clients who dont mind coming to me
From a man's perspective, he is being unreasonable and frankly taking the p***.

I agree with what AcidPerm said that he needs to stick to the plan. If he doesn't feel safe in the pub why is it any safer bringing all your mates in the garden. If it's just for him, he can sit in the house lol.

I'm a man who impulse buys crazy stuff all the time. Guilty. However, this is literally him playing pub landlord which he will quickly get bored of. I can feel my wife in my head saying "That's rich coming from you!" ha.

I normally do mobile but atm would rather my clients came to me when allowed so I couldn't argue spending thousands on a cabin and only using it for a couple of clients who dont mind coming to me

Honestly, if you’ve got a well equipped pretty cabin in your garden, why waste money travelling to clients? If it’s done properly, you’ll have no problems getting clients to come to you. You might lose some mobile clients but you’ll also gain local ones so no time wasted travelling and setting up/down and the bonus being, it will be a real pleasure going to work.

You might also consider adding to your skill set and offering a wider range of services in the future? It could be a little beauty retreat.

Have you read the log cabin set up thread? Loads of really good ideas in there.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/log-cabin-shed-etc-salon-set-ups.231263/

I totally agree with Bannerpengin and AcidPerm.
Also you'll be earning money in that space not spending it.

Good luck

It's going to be more like a snug with nice comfy chairs and a couple of little tables, nice rug, small bar type corner unit just with a fridge underneath hidden away and a tv on the wall. I dont need it to be very very girly as my clients who are happy to come to me are happy to come and sit in my kitchen if need be. It means that they dont need to be in my house and its somewhere I can clean down as much as possible. Its not going be full of his mates. Just one or 2 when the football is on. I'm fully qualified in level 2 and 3 beauty so I would add bits on if he decides he isnt wanting to use it at all.

It's going to be more like a snug with nice comfy chairs and a couple of little tables, nice rug, small bar type corner unit just with a fridge underneath hidden away and a tv on the wall. I dont need it to be very very girly as my clients who are happy to come to me are happy to come and sit in my kitchen if need be. It means that they dont need to be in my house and its somewhere I can clean down as much as possible. Its not going be full of his mates. Just one or 2 when the football is on. I'm fully qualified in level 2 and 3 beauty so I would add bits on if he decides he isnt wanting to use it at all.
With all due respect, it seems you've already made your mind up and just wanted everyone elses validation which you didn't get.

If you're happy to do it then by all means, go for it! :)

Your clients may be fine with it but if you try to get new clients, they may not be. When people assess value in a service, it's not just the service that comes into play, it's a whole bunch of stuff including environment which impacts how the client determines the value in their mind.

Not the same situation but as an example, I went for a back, neck and shoulders massage at a beauty place in town. The room was a cold, upstairs room, bright day light coming in, dead silence, nothing relaxing about. I never returned.

I have read your posts with somewhat a bit of frustration and dismay to be honest. I am clearly married to a saint that has got the most amazing supportive attitude to my business. He has always considered my business to be a priority and I am so sorry that yours isn't the same. You need to put more value on your own business too. He has broken the promise of providing you with a salon.

You say you only have a few home clients, but little acorns can grow into a mighty oaks in the future.
Create your salon haven and keep it that way, and your clients will get the best journey. Get that one room for you and let him play at being barman in another. The deal is either shed or garage so I believe?
Have you another room to turn into your salon? Or his own pub?

Hopefully he will give up on his idea and you'll get your space in time. If not insist that he gets another shed for all that garage crap and you can get the garage as promised.

Best of luck.

I've set my ideas down as wanting a snug where I can work from. Baring in mind when my clients bring their kids or their sister or mam, for double appointments, it would give them somewhere to sit and I can get them a drink while they wait. I'm not a growing business anymore. I have another job so these are just my long term regulars I will be doing.

Hi all, I'm in a predicament. I've recently bought a house with the other half and I was meant to be able to use the summer house or the garage to work from for nails if need be. However because he doesnt want to go back to the pubs after this has passed he has now bought a huge cabin for the garden to make into a lounge / bar. Hes also commandeered the garage for all the bikes and other general family junk. So my though was to carefully plan the cabin so one corner would be empty and I can use a folding table with some nice chairs and pop my nails polishes on a shelf and my equipment in my little trolley and do it that way. I will tidy all my stuff away once I'm done. So you wouldn't know I'd been there. It means I can have a relaxed atmosphere, offer drinks and clean safe space. And means I dont have to have people in my house. What do yous think?

Tbh a nail salon and bar seems like an absolute dream to me and I’d be by daily 😂😂... but in all honesty, sounds like you both want to work from home. Heck, that’d be the dream for me too!! I think there needs to be some type of compromise. Can you think of one?

Latest posts

Back