Greedy salon owner with poor ethics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasnyder3

Reaction score
This is long, but I need some advice! I started working in a salon in 2004 where the daughter is technically the owner, but the mom (who only does the bookkeeping) calls the shots!

There are 2 hair stylists and 2 nail techs (owner & me). The "employees" are considered self-contracted but the salon provides all the equipment and product and we are paid a percentage based on services we render.

In 2005 the salon owner was in a car accident. I took over her nail clients and running the salon...opening & closing, etc. I was never paid anything extra for running the business. She came back part-time after 6 months, but alot of her clients chose to stay with me. This did not make the owner's mom very happy and she tried to schedule everyone with the owner instead of me. This has been going on ever since and we have had several confrontations about her unethical behavior. She has accused me of stealing from them and seeing clients in my home.

Both the hairstylists are on my side and can't believe how poorly I am treated, especially when I went above & beyond after the accident. The hairstylists also have problems with the mom and her greedyiness with scheduling, pricing, paying us, etc. I could go on and on with all the things that have happened! They lie to my clients and tell them I am unavailable to try to get them to schedule with the owner instead. Then if they do, they take my client's card and put it in the owner's file!

The latest thing they are doing is offering $5 off a full set of nails with the owner only, but they never said anything about it and they are giving it to my clients as well! I only found out by accident when I called one of my clients who had been scheduled with the owner! Any suggestions on what to do and what rights I have with the clients? Can I offer my own special to my clients and would the owner have to honor that?

Wow...You're in a pickle aren't ya hun? I think that if you try to offer your own specials to clients it would just cause more conflict between you and the owner. Have you thought about going to another salon? I see you are in MI as well and depending on what part we know that there are LOADS of them all over! I don't know I would just try and sit down and reason with her/them and if that doesn't work start collecting your clients names and numbers and start working from home (I know that's kind of backhandish, but shucks!!)

I didn't get a chance to read your profile, but if you are licensed there are plenty of salons that would be glad to have you.

I'm sure some of the other geeks on here could probably offer you more advise, but that's just my two cents... :hug:

pm me and let me know what city you are in.

Walk away hun, life is to short for this sort of cr*p in your life. you are obviously a good tech otherwise you wouldn't have the problem. So sit tight, sit quiet, find somewhere else, tell your clients yourself that you are leaving the salon but not the industry, if your client asks, tell them where you are going. Work your notice and go. The owner and mother won't like it but, tough, you won't be stealing clients, which is what they will say, because clients are not slaves, it will be their free choice if they follow you. You have the right to tell your clients you are going and so long as you only say where in reply to the direct question, where are you going, you will have done nothing wrong.

Now I'm to long in the tooth to play nice.
I personally would, take details of all my clients home with me, set up at my new place and call all my clients and tell them I had moved, where to and as a first visit welcome gift I was offering a $5 extra treatment:lol:
But thats me, I have learned the hard way, don't get mad get even.

it is such a shame that you have been treated like this, its been thrown in your face rather than appreciated.

unfortunately this seems to happen in all walks of life, its like the people you help can't stand being beholdent to anyone.

I used to work behind a bar and I ran the bar for a week for the owners to go on holiday. Well **** happens, mistakes happen, and as its not my full time job, I didn't do it as efficiently as they did. Instead of thanks I got a list of complaints about how much profits they had lost because of me (real ale gets poured back into kegs and I didn't pour enough 'slops' back into the kegs).

I walked out. But, it was a part time job.

My first instincts was to leave, and start up yourself. You clearly have the skill to run your own business. If the person wants to be selfish and nasty, then she/they are not a company to work for.

Yes, i agree that there are companies, from all areas of the employment market, that screws staff around.

Good luck and hope things get better.:hug:

Get your ducks in a row.
Get every single address,e-mail,telephone including phone number of each client that wants your services.
Make sure you get all the products/supplies you need to satisfy the clients that will be following you to your new work place.

(Dont bad mouth them or their actions when you get there, this will be difficult at first, it was for me...)

I had to leave a salon a few years ago, and it turns out, probably one of the best things that ever happened to me.
It was scary, but I had to go.

They have since closed their doors.
I never celebrate anothers loss, but if they would have been more kind, not only to the workers, but the customers as well, they may still be in business.

Years ago when I was first starting out, I had a "salon owner friend" take advantage of me, and I have to admit, she taught me lots, about what NOT to do.
Good luck, let it be.

Sorry to repeat some of the other post...

Latest posts

Back