Green fingered geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
Hi i was wondering if someone could help me please.

Randomly,right in the middle of my lawn,a rose bush has sprouted,a winter one i assume.

As this has been mowed on several occasions and still come through i shall keep it as it's persistant lol

So i was wondering how i go about moving it,when do i move it and can i split it to make two plants iykwim

Any advice so that i don't kill it would be great :D

Many thanks x

Are you sure its a rose bush Becki as far as I know (and thats not far) rose bushes don't die back so it should have been there all the time. I had something that looked like a rose that just popped up in my garden, just one stem that just grew and grew. My mum said it was a weed and it took some getting rid off I had to dig right down and get the root out.

It might not be that though, if it is a rose bush you'd need to dig it out really carefully so not to damage the roots as they can be quite thick and spread out.

:lol: yeah i deffo mowed it since july and it has leaves,dark pink flowers and thorns :lol: the stems are burgandy in places too iykwim,so yeah i'm sure it's a rose bush lol x

Do i have to wait to dig it up ?

I'd say wait until March to move it, clip it right back, dont be scared, it may look a bit neglected at first but by the summer it should be blooming and then next summer it will be beautiful!
Plant it in a border if you can rather than a tub!

All this info is from my Dad, hes well into plants and stuff!
xxx

If it's not to cold there yet this is the time of year for planting bulbs and plants before the winter cold.......yes you can move it ......better not to clip it back any farther now though .....as it should have been clipped last month.....depending on how "big" it is
I'd say if it's a foot tall you should have a a root ball at leased a foot around also.....make sure when /if you transplant it you put some bone meal in your hole to give it some nutrients and a good start before the winter....hth's

How weird just sprouting up like that! Im afraid I dont know anything about gardening so cant help you out there, just wanted to comment on your avatar, what a little sweetie!!! xxx

Thanks eveyone :hug:

Hayls,ask your dad if i can split it hun :D

How weird just sprouting up like that! Im afraid I dont know anything about gardening so cant help you out there, just wanted to comment on your avatar, what a little sweetie!!! xxx

I know ,i mowed the lawn a few times,then one day it was just there,maybe 4 inch tall i thought wtf has someone planted this here for a laugh :lol:

Oh and he is sweet when he's still like that :lol:

Becki, he said that it should be pretty tender now, so you can easily split it.
Ive got some roses that have been successfully split either side of my garden they look fab! Try and plant them somewhere where they have a bit of cover, maybe infront of a wall, if not get a small trellisy thing to pop behind it!
hth's xxx:hug:

You're a star :!: Thanks hun :hug:

Pleasure, any time you need any advice, my Father is the one to ask, practically Alan Titchmarsh! lol!!!!

Latest posts

Back