Green hair - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljboutique

Reaction score
Hey

Im asking this question on behalf of my grandma . She used a shampoo and conditioner from boots made for swimmers to get chlorine out of the hair and well she now has green hair it has some how dyed her hair .

Myself and my sister have done hairdressing nvq level 2 but we had no idea why this would have happened and how to correct it so any help with be much appreciated thanks xxx

Hey

Im asking this question on behalf of my grandma . She used a shampoo and conditioner from boots made for swimmers to get chlorine out of the hair and well she now has green hair it has some how dyed her hair .

Myself and my sister have done hairdressing nvq level 2 but we had no idea why this would have happened and how to correct it so any help with be much appreciated thanks xxx

If your grandma has blonde bleached lighter coloured hair the chlorine may have caused it ,
and in this case your grandma could test piece a bit after she has shampooed
with tomato ketchup , this usually pulls the green tinge out of the hair caused by chlorine but... do a test piece first , good luck let us know how you get on:) x minky

She is a swim teacher so is always in the water her hair is a natural white/grey I can only assume because her hair is porous it just obsorbed the colour from the shampoo/conditioner which was green

She said one of her friends recommnded using ketchup which she tried but her hair still has a green tinge to it maybe a deep cleansing shampoo I feel bad for her no one wants green hair x

Last edited:
Hi , she could try some clarifying shampoos too
and also add some baking soda to the shampoo , this is a very good clarification treatment ,
but as stated before do some small test peices first
and once the green has gone only use clear shampoos.

Also be careful of mousses or temporary colours that may contain mettallic salts which can cause these green tinges
as these can also cause well known chemical reactions on hair when mixed with chlorinated pool water
:hug: minky

Thanks for the advice minky just rang my grandma she was very pleased so hopefully she will have green free hair soon xx

Hi , she could try some clarifying shampoos too
and also add some baking soda to the shampoo , this is a very good clarification treatment ,
but as stated before do some small test peices first
and once the green has gone only use clear shampoos.

Also be careful of mousses or temporary colours that may contain mettallic salts which can cause these green tinges
as these can also cause well known chemical reactions on hair when mixed with chlorinated pool water
:hug: minky

Iv'e never heard of the baking soda one, I'll have to remember that! How much soda would you add? Would you leave it all to soak in or shampoo as normal? Cheers!

Iv'e never heard of the baking soda one, I'll have to remember that! How much soda would you add? Would you leave it all to soak in or shampoo as normal? Cheers!

Hi, If your hair turns green from chlorine in swimming pools, wash it with 1/4 cup baking soda added to a clear shampoo :)

Also I belive Loreal has just launched one called , super duper pureology range a purifying shampoo for coloured hair containing baking soda. RRP £16.50 a bottle :hug: x minky

Just outside my front door is a heated indoor/outdoor swimming pool and the concierge puts in tons of chemicals of every description....

and not only does your hair turn green....it turns neon lime green :eek::green:

My daughters hair was all over bleached blonde and I have never seen such green hair in about 10 minutes...!!!!!
It literally glowed....lol

Nothing worked....ketchup, baking soda...nothing....
but then hers was extreme. She had to dye it brown.

I decided to give the pool another go as its been months...and I have highlights...
and :irked: I've got green tips!!!!

I'm just hoping it fades over time....

Everyone walks around here with green hair in the summer...well most blondes do anyway.
You just have to adjust your clothing and accessories accordingly :lol::lol:

by the way I am sorry I was no help...I just wanted to share my green hair story lol...
and I hope your Grandma manages to restore her hair colour....and tell us the outcome and what worked as I am interested myself..!!!

Just outside my front door is a heated indoor/outdoor swimming pool and the concierge puts in tons of chemicals of every description....

My daughters hair was all over bleached blonde and I have never seen such green hair in about 10 minutes...!!!!!
It literally glowed....lol

Nothing worked....ketchup, baking soda...nothing....
but then hers was extreme. She had to dye it brown.

I decided to give the pool another go as its been months...and I have highlights...
and :irked: I've got green tips!!!!

I'm just hoping it fades over time....

Everyone walks around here with green hair in the summer...well most blondes do anyway.
You just have to adjust your clothing and accessories accordingly :lol::lol:

by the way I am sorry I was no help...I just wanted to share my green hair story lol...
and I hope your Grandma manages to restore her hair colour....and tell us the outcome and what worked as I am interested myself..!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::green: Nice *lol* Ever thought of moving... ha ha

Good one Minky, I shall look that one up!

Yuck I wouldn't fancy swallowing a mouthful , but I guess it would clear the sinuses :green:
I can imagine you must smell of chlorine for days :eek: :lol: lol
wouldn't it also sting your eyes and make them bloodshot ?

Also I have heard if certain water softeners are put into the water tanks supplying the water to the buildings to prevent limescale build up in pipes
and if you wash your hair in water that has had these softners added ,
it can react with the chlorine in the pool water

Hi Hope this doesnt get to to u too late, have you tried using aspirin?
I have used it a couple of times before for the same problem with great results. Crush 4/5 tablets in water and pour over the hair, leave for a few minutes 5-10 minutes but keep watching. It should remove the green tinge from the hair.:)

The green is slowly coming out:) but there is still a tinge to the hair when the light catches it so I will pass on the aspirin idea what made you think about using aspirin in the first place Im loving all the weird and wonderful cures for the green hair thanks everyone.

xxx

Thats good that its coming out.
It was a method i learned on a course a few years ago. Hope she gets back to her blonde soon!:)

Hi Juules ,that's a good tip :)
I heard a while back Jennifer Anniston also uses your tip to keep her highlights looking fresh and new
x minky

Ps... the baking soda is " bicarbonate of soda " (the one you clean the fridge out with) lol, x

Hi Hope this doesnt get to to u too late, have you tried using aspirin?
I have used it a couple of times before for the same problem with great results. Crush 4/5 tablets in water and pour over the hair, leave for a few minutes 5-10 minutes but keep watching. It should remove the green tinge from the hair.:)

It will teach me to speed read....

I saw your first line on using aspirin and was a bit :eek:

Then went back to your post and realised you put it ON the hair and not IN your mouth :lol: Silly me...

I'll certainly try it!!!!!

and to earlier posts... I could move but green hair is a small price to pay :lol:

and to Minky....for some reason the chlorine doesn't affect my eyes or anything...it just sends me lime green :lol:
( the rest of my family get really red eyes though so they avoid it )

Latest posts

Back