Green nails - fungal and why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a client who had a greenie and only has polish on. It can happen to the best of us!

I lost my job in a salon over the "bacterial/fungal" debate... :sad: Stopped doing nails for nearly 2 years afterwards... This was not "one of those" or "budget" places either, this was a very high priced salon, that hd no care for the people they were treating what so ever, and when I refused to enhance this ladies nails (a new client for me, from a tech who had recently left) I was dragged over the coals.. This womans infection had gotten so bad that when i started the rebalance I first got the smell.. then it almost felt like jelly under my file.. I instantly stopped, did a removal of the product and informed her That unless she saw a doctor i would not be able to do a service on her again... I was horrified that A) the tech before me had continued to overlay and polish these nails and B) she continued to ignore it.

This woman was a very rich wine makers wife, and came back complained to my boss that she could not be seen without her nails, that I was over reacting.. that her nails had always been like that... My boss explained to me that it was "just fungi's.. file them away and treat with scrubfresh"..:(.. I refused...She was a valued repeat client.. I was makin a fuss..

much to my complete amazement she was rebooked, and had enhancements done by another tech, who sat next to my table the whole time while i was working on another client like nothing had happened... I then witnessed that tech spray and place the file she was using back in her draw, and then use it on another client who walked in afterwards....

My point by telling this is.. I knew that what I was seeing was far and beyond normal, I knew by look/colour and smell that this woman had a serious infection.. I was confident in how I handled the situation, and was extremely proud of my personal ethics.. If it had not been for my training.. and this place, with all its information and guides.. and feedback given by people who take the time to help.. I would have probably not known how to deal with this situation.

To see a certain reply given here upsets me, and I hope the people who continue to give out advice here don't stop.. I gladly walked away from that place.. for them it was "bums on seat/cash in the till" which is perfectly fine, but only if you are not doing so at the cost of a clients health.

It has taken me a while to get over that experience, I was very disheartened.. I am slowly getting back into it, and guess where my first port of call has been.. here.. so thanks to all and any who have helped along the way, and thanks to any in advance who will in the future.. knowing the difference between bacterial and fungal gave me the ability to stand my ground, and refuse to be anything but the professional I have spent so much time and effort to achieve...:o

**I would like to add, That when i said i couldn't enhance them, I did try to retail a product line we had, I explained treatments we could start to get them healthy again but i insisted she needed them seen by a doctor.. i cannot ever forget the grren/black/jellied look of those nails, and can only assume it was years of badly applied enhancements and lack of a duty of care by her past technicians.. I would hate to think of what they look like now.. the smell was like nothing i have ever experienced before, a sour/musty odour that actually had a warmth to it.. blurgh! =/

I lost my job in a salon over the "bacterial/fungal" debate... :sad: Stopped doing nails for nearly 2 years afterwards... refused...

Aww hun poor you to have gone thru this whole experience she because you were being professional and cautious.I think terrible that the salon you were working for made you feel this way.That were obviously embarrassed that someone came along who knew what they was talking about and it put them all to shame.Just feel so bad for you having your confidence knocked like that.
Dont let it get you down hun :)

Awww that terrible!

moral of the storey in a lot of cases like these are STICK TO YOUR GUNS AND BE PROUD OF YOURSELF FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING!

Thanks guys for your help on the matter, feel a little better now and know what i need to do. xx

Latest posts

Back