Green nails please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jules123

Reaction score
I have recently qualified as a nail tech, I use CND liquid and powder but am having some hiccups. One of my clients has got green nails around the cuticles and side walls after several appointments/ infills, why is this and what should I do to prevent it getting any worse. Please help. thanks

Well I'd say it's safe to say that her nails are lifting and because of this, she now has a bacterial infection. The bacteria has a place to grow under her enhancements.

I'd say you just need to work on your prep.. have a read of this, it will be very helpful to you

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

In the meantime, make sure to give her nails a good scrub with scrubfresh and file out any lift you see, lightly buffing the green bits. It's ok to apply your new L&P once you have done this, but have her come back after a week so you can asses the nails and make sure they have no signs of lifting or any more greenies.

HTH:hug:

thanks you have been a great help

I would soak off all product so there is no trace at all left on the nail plate, then I would scrubfresh rigourously making sure you get into all nooks and crannies...lightly buff to remove or reduce the green stain as best you can...throw away file...scrubfresh again and only then would I feel it ok to re-apply a new set of nails.

Fully stress how important it is for your client to make an appointment with you if she starts to get lifting to avoid this happening again.

Read this http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Also to add VERY IMPORTANT

any file, wipe/pad that is used on the infected nail needs to be disposed of straight away, if it touches the other nails, or another client, it will pass on the infection...
be safe, not sorry...
*I always keep a small supply of old buffers in case I ever have to deal with this situation, then I don't have to throw out new files ...

we covered this at college...if the nail gos green it is a bactrial infection! BUT you are not allowed to tell your client this is the case as you are not qualified to do so (your not a doctor) your client will need to go & see their doctor.

we covered this at college...if the nail gos green it is a bactrial infection! BUT you are not allowed to tell your client this is the case as you are not qualified to do so (your not a doctor) your client will need to go & see their doctor.

Ok, no idea where you trained so no offence intended here..

Your saying we can not tell our client they have infection but that they must go see a doctor??

Bacteria is the most common life form on the planet, and if we understand it then we can work with it, without having to escalate the problem and scare the client - I would be very worried if I went to a beautician and they didn't say why but said "quick, off to the doctor with you..."

A minor bacterial infection can very easily be dealt with by a nail technician that has the correct training, and this is something that schools should be teaching. There is great information regarding it in Doug Schoons product chemistry and nail anatomy (edition 2) and also take a read of Sam Sweets article...
http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Carly - Envy is right. By saying 'you have a bacterial infection' is not diagnosing a disease but simply saying exactly what she has. There is nothing a DR can do - there are no creams that magically make the green disappear. The 'green' is a stain or the bacteria 'poo'. It grows out as the natural nail grows out. Apply enamel over the nail or a new coating that has been thoroughly prepped and all will be well. When the 'green stain' reaches the free edge simply clip off and bingo - all gone!

If you try to buff you will thin the natural nail - the green stains the nail plate layers. HTH's!

Ok, no idea where you trained so no offence intended here..

Your saying we can not tell our client they have infection but that they must go see a doctor??

Bacteria is the most common life form on the planet, and if we understand it then we can work with it, without having to escalate the problem and scare the client - I would be very worried if I went to a beautician and they didn't say why but said "quick, off to the doctor with you..."

A minor bacterial infection can very easily be dealt with by a nail technician that has the correct training, and this is something that schools should be teaching. There is great information regarding it in Doug Schoons product chemistry and nail anatomy (edition 2) and also take a read of Sam Sweets article...
http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Hi ENVY,
I understand what you are sayin and fully agree with you, but in my college also, we were also told, that we are not allowed to diagnose and must refer to the doctor ! , me ? personally, feel its ok to tell a patient what you think the problem may be, not that I've come across any yet, thank goodness.
But if I thought they needed to go see their doctor, then I would refer.

Hi Tracey,

for legal safety (cover your backside) reasons government regulated schools will always say 'you are not a doctor' etc ...

This removes their liability if something goes wrong and you give poor advice, based on their training.
And I agree with them in the sense, if you truly are unsure of how to proceed due to an unknown disorder, then don't ... But, something like a small bacterial infection on the surface of the nail plate can easily be dealt with if you know how to professionally proceed and can confidently communicate this to the client...

I see alsorts of photos and nails that techs send through when they are unsure... refering to someone who knows more can often be a great idea...

Please ladies do not go sending clients of to see their doctor for such simple things as this. doctors are very busy, all you need to do is educate your client.
Why do greenies happen? Lifting? Actually NO. Greenies are not caused by lifting, they are caused by bactieria getting trapped under the lifting, its a nice warm, moist enviroment. How does it get there in the first place?
The most common cause is dirty washing up water.
So clients need to be made aware that they should always come back to you at the first sign of any lifting, and to make sure that this is unlikely to happen, visit a £ shop and buy some washing up gloves.
This is not a dig at any of our newbies, you have to go by what you have been told by your educator, but as you gain a bit of confidence in your own ability and hopefully buy nail books, like Gigi's for your own enjoyment and further education, you will see that most things you can deal with easily, a few things will prompt you to suggest that your client talks to her surgary practice nurse and once in a blue moon you might suggest that a client needs to go to A&E not a nail tech:green:

thankyou all for your comments, they all helped me a lot in fixing the problem and I felt more confident in explaining it away to the client, who has rebooked with me. so thanks again to all you geeks

I would soak off all product so there is no trace at all left on the nail plate, then I would scrubfresh rigourously making sure you get into all nooks and crannies...lightly buff to remove or reduce the green stain as best you can...throw away file...scrubfresh again and only then would I feel it ok to re-apply a new set of nails.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :green:

Can anyone help me out? Been searching the subject "greenies" on here and thought I understood mostly what can cause them but never heard that people can be prone to them and can come from within the person (ie a more medical problem? never heard this before ). Sorry cant find the post now but is this true at all that someone can be more prone to the "greenies" ie if taking medication/run down? Confused, could someone clear this up for me? x

a little off subject here i had a friend whos daughter was a supposed trained nail tech.....anyway she would put enhancments on her mother every 2-3 weeks...she had very very bad natural nails, she was at my house one day visiting whilst i was still training in college and i noticed how bad her nails really were, they were thick and crusty yellowing nails :eek:, (nothing i have ever seen before) so i told her she should consider strongly about going to see a doctor, and stop having the enhancements!

about 2 months later it turns out she had liver cancer:eek:, possibly if she had gone to her doc this would have been picked up earlier and she may still be here today, the nails tell a thousand stories this was they only sympton she showed that there was something wrong with her health.

Latest posts

Back