Green Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjNailz

Reaction score
Hello,

I know when some people wear false nails for to long their nails go green 1. is this due to water under the false nails and no air? 2. if i was to give a manicure would i still pop thier hands in soak or will the water weaking them?

I have not had a client with this problem I was just wondering just incase

Thanks guys x

Hi, If nails are green under enhancements then the enhancement needs to be removed as the green is a bacterial infection from something being trapped under the nail enhancement, it is not normal but does happen.

Found this online might help you:

To rid the nail plate of the infection, simply remove the enhancement, lightly buff the stain to open up the nail plate cells, scrub the nails with a lint-free wipe saturated with Scrub Fresh ! (Creative). This will remove all moisture and some of the surface oils, and leave behind pathogen fighters to keep the spores from breeding. Then, depending on the depth of the color, you can safely reapply product. If the stain is very dark, I would suggest leaving the product off for a period of time to allow the nail plate to 'harden' before applying any more product. Instruct the client to keep the plate clean and dry at all times, and wear gloves when having her hands in water or using household cleaning solutions.

Also make sure any files are destroyed and any implements used are sterilised well.

Hope this helps.
Claire x

I would also like to just point out that 'greenies' do not occur because enahancements (extensions) have been worn for too long...enhancements can be worn forever and a day if they are correctly applied and maintained regularly.

I once had a "greenie" on my nail whilst I had enhancements - the salon who did them told me it was due to water getting under the enhancement and soaked it off, stuck my finger into neat vodka for 15 minutes and then reapplied the enhancements!

Was quite scary :(

I once had a "greenie" on my nail whilst I had enhancements - the salon who did them told me it was due to water getting under the enhancement and soaked it off, stuck my finger into neat vodka for 15 minutes and then reapplied the enhancements!

Was quite scary :(

Oh lord .. the vodka trick!! This is just so much rubbish.

Once the enhancement is removed the bacteria dies in the air immediately.

Bacteria will only grow in the right conditions (warm, dark moist). Once that environment is removed, the bacteria die instantly and do not keep breeding! You can safely re-apply the enhancement material again and expect no further problems.
Unfortunately the nail will still carry the stain from the infection until it grows but the infection will be GONE.

Greenies usually occur if clients do not return in a timely manner for maintenance.

Greenies can also occur if the technician has not spotted a 'leaking' nail at the rebalance appointment and fails to do something about it (usually an inexperienced technician).

Greenies should not be allowed to happen but for whatever reason sometimes they do. Every tech should know how to deal with greenies and to reassure their clients that it is nothing dangerous and to not neglect their maintenance appointments and ... that if the client knocks a nail badly she needs to come and have it seen to instead of assuming that because it did not break or fall off that everything is OK ... enhancements that have bent under pressure are the ones that leak and eventually turn into greenies.

Hi, If nails are green under enhancements then the enhancement needs to be removed as the green is a bacterial infection from something being trapped under the nail enhancement, it is not normal but does happen.

Found this online might help you:

To rid the nail plate of the infection, simply remove the enhancement, lightly buff the stain to open up the nail plate cells, scrub the nails with a lint-free wipe saturated with Scrub Fresh ! (Creative). This will remove all moisture and some of the surface oils, and leave behind pathogen fighters to keep the spores from breeding. Then, depending on the depth of the color, you can safely reapply product. If the stain is very dark, I would suggest leaving the product off for a period of time to allow the nail plate to 'harden' before applying any more product. Instruct the client to keep the plate clean and dry at all times, and wear gloves when having her hands in water or using household cleaning solutions.

Also make sure any files are destroyed and any implements used are sterilised well.

Hope this helps.
Claire x

The pathogens in the case of a greenie are bacteria not spores and once the enhancement is removed they die they do not continue to breed.

I've seen this type of cases numerous times, and in adition to what geeg say i think it can also be caused to inapropriate desisfection/dehydration of the nails prior to product application. If moisture/dust is left of the nail plate and product is applied over it it can produce the right enviroment for these bacteria to develop.
I often see this cases from people comming from NSS, that i can only assume neglect hygene and proper procedures.
The only few cases my own clients had were due to neglect on the client side, i.e., not comming back in time, having lifting for long period of time...

I had a gal come in with a broken gel nail off and her nail being green very light. I told her I would have her wash her hands as did I then used the Cool Blue and on her one finger (green) I used Scrub Fresh. We will leave it for the night and she made an appointment for a fill tomorrow. She waited 6 weeks. I try to call txt or email for follow up appointments as we all have busy lives.

I have only been in a Salon now for 3 months and thus far been super great. I am so happy to hear that this has happened to others. It is my first greenie and I can assume since I wash use cool blue scrub fresh and new files each time as well as change barbacide daily it is the six week length.

Thanks SG's I love this site!!!

I had a gal come in with a broken gel nail off and her nail being green very light. I told her I would have her wash her hands as did I then used the Cool Blue and on her one finger (green) I used Scrub Fresh. We will leave it for the night and she made an appointment for a fill tomorrow. She waited 6 weeks. I try to call txt or email for follow up appointments as we all have busy lives.

I have only been in a Salon now for 3 months and thus far been super great. I am so happy to hear that this has happened to others. It is my first greenie and I can assume since I wash use cool blue scrub fresh and new files each time as well as change barbacide daily it is the six week length.

Thanks SG's I love this site!!!
It is never recommended for clients with enhancements to ever wait 6 weeks between maintenance appointments. In that time the enhancement will be out of balance and getting longer and more prone to stresses and it is courting the very things that will loosen the enhancement so that it becomes susceptible to moisture being trapped under the product.

You need to tell your clients that 3 week maintenance is vital for good nail health and if they push it they are going to have problems. It's one thing to be 'tight' with the money, but it is another to be stupid when it comes to the health of ones natural nails. If any of my clients want to risk nail infections then they can push off to other technicians who don't care .... I'm not risking people looking at green nails and being told I did them !! Because that is what they say; they never say, "I went way beyond the time I should have and caused the problem myself because I was being 'tight' with my money."

Latest posts

Back