Green stuff on acrylic brush!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I would love some advice as to what’s going on!

My acrylic brushes keep getting green gunk on them! It’s disgusting and I don’t know why!

I’ve been told before that it’s contamination, but from where? How? They don’t touch anything apart from a clean, scrub freshen nail, monomer and acrylic powder. They live in a black plastic case when not in use away from any contamination.

All the products including the case are CND. I just don’t understand it. They never touch anywhere that they are not supposed to and no one else uses them.

It happens to each brush. When I get a new brush I flick the bristles in the end of my finger to remove the gum that they come with. Exactly how I’ve been taught by CND.

It’s driving me bonkers and I’d love to get to the bottom of it.

Attachments

• 1FA48503-9F29-428A-A10D-BDC4ED6E2005.jpeg
    1FA48503-9F29-428A-A10D-BDC4ED6E2005.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 88
I'd say its the glue holding the bristles in the ferrule, the monomer will travel up the bristles and start to breakdown the glue

I'd say its the glue holding the bristles in the ferrule, the monomer will travel up the bristles and start to breakdown the glue

Is this a normal thing to get then? And how do you prevent this from happening?

How do you store your brushes? I would store them bristles down but not touching anything. That way, if there is any monomer left, it won't drift back up into the ferrule. :)

How do you store your brushes? I would store them bristles down but not touching anything. That way, if there is any monomer left, it won't drift back up into the ferrule. :)
I store them flat in the plastic CND case.

Not normal, but not uncommon. Usually you'll get yellow streaks in your product. I've not seen those green bits before but knowing how the brushes are constructed it's the only thing I can think of. I store my brushes bristles down so the monomer cant travel into the ferrule.

Not normal, but not uncommon. Usually you'll get yellow streaks in your product. I've not seen those green bits before but knowing how the brushes are constructed it's the only thing I can think of. I store my brushes bristles down so the monomer cant travel into the ferrule.

What do you use to store them face down?

My current brushes have caps so it's easy. When I used CND brushes I cut the ends off the plastic pipettes they sold and used them as caps. When they got manky I threw them away and made new ones.

How often do you use your acrylic brush? If you are not doing acrylics regularly sometimes the remaining monomer in the brush can turn yellowish. Even when your brush is stored correctly and upside down.
Tip a little monomer into your dappen dish and use it to clean your brush before each service.
As others have mentioned, it could also be the glue from the brush if your brush has been stored incorrectly and monomer has been melting the glue. This can cause overexposure if it's spilling out the top of the handle where you're holding it.
I would probably get a new brush to be sure and ensure of proper storage :)

You could store the case with the bristles facing down. That may help. :)

If its the CND brush box i had it won't work as the brushes just restbin curved slots, they'll just slide down and crush the bristles. I tried BlueTack to hold them in place but it went very odd and stiff with the exposure to the monomer.

Latest posts

Back