green under nail plate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

Have a client who had a bit of onycholosis on her thumb, she only has nno's not long, with bio.

I have been overlaying them and told her to use plenty solar oil in between appointments.

We dont know whats caused the onycholysis i am not aggressive with the filing and like i say its nno's - short.

Anyway she's been wearing a coloured gel, comes today for a soak off and the thumb is green:eek: under the nail plate:eek: :eek: :eek: .

I overlayed the other 9 and left the other one and told her to go to the gp.

Have you come across this? what will the gp offer her?

Would you have done anything different?

amb x

Hey Amber - after reading GMG's article about greenies - it seems that you are guilt free AND I never doubted this :green: - You have been a nail tech for oooo ages and your prep etc will be fandabbydozzy - so why on gonksville would greenies appear on your enhancements? - well imho they wouldn't and this is backed up by GMG's article - you are a fab nail tech :green: xxxx

AWW THANKS SNUGGSYPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:hug: :hug:

I've seen greenies ON the nail plate....but not UNDER..thats what was worrying.

The nail was a strong as an ox not crumbly, no pain etc

I don't think you've done anything wrong mate.
But, I do think that colours hide a multitude of sins. She may have been doing a little "home gluing" and not told you?

With onycholysis the seal is broken exposing the nail bed to bacteria, leaving them susectable to infections. Onycholysis can be caused by other types of trauma besides over filing.
Nail Structure and Product Chemistry p53 "People who use their nails as tools have a high incidence of onycholysis".

AWW THANKS SNUGGSYPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:hug: :hug:

I've seen greenies ON the nail plate....but not UNDER..thats what was worrying.

The nail was a strong as an ox not crumbly, no pain etc

Sorry Amb just re-read this one.
UNDER?? I have no idea but will look this up, like I do (yawn).
I know I'm boring but I do like to see the answer to the question.:lol:

Onycholysis
What is onycholysis?
Onycholysis is a common nail disorder. It is the loosening or separation of a fingernail or toenail from its nail bed. It usually starts at the tip of the nail and progresses back.

Pseudomonas infection

Traumatic onycholysis
[see X-ray]
Fracture underlying
traumatic onycholysis
Onycholysis &
subungual hyperkeratosis
Onycholysis
What causes onycholysis?
Many things may cause onycholysis. Some of the most common causes are:

Repetitive trauma, e.g. daily tapping of long fingernails on a keyboard or counter
Overzealous manicure, e.g. manicure tools pushing beneath the nail to clear dirt and overuse of nail cosmetics
Prolonged immersion of nails in water.
Other causes of onycholysis are shown in the following table.

Cause Examples
Skin disease Psoriasis, dermatitis and less often, pemphigus vulgaris, porphyria cutanea tarda and others
Infection Dermatophyte fungus (i.e., Trichophyton rubrum, T. mentagrophytes infection)
Yeast (Candida infection)
Bacteria (Pseudomonas infection)
Virus (Herpes simplex infection)

Internal disease (uncommon) Amyloid and multiple myeloma, anaemia (iron deficiency), diabetes mellitus, erythropoietic porphyria, hyperhidrosis, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, impaired peripheral circulation, leprosy, pellagra, psoriatic arthritis, Reiter syndrome, sarcoidosis, scleroderma, yellow nail syndrome due to chronic lung or sinus disease
Drugs Tetracyclines
Psoralens
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics
Chlorpromazine
Oral contraceptives
Some anti-cancer treatments

Other Congenital onycholysis, hereditary partial onycholysis, idiopathic acquired onycholysis, hereditary distal onycholysis, foreign body implantation

Who gets onycholysis and how is it diagnosed?
People of all ages, sex and race can get onycholysis, although it is more frequently seen in female adults.

Because so many things can cause onycholysis, your doctor may examine you to check for other skin conditions or medical problems such as thyroid disease. If a fungal infection is suspected, your doctor may clip the nail and scrape a sample of tissue from beneath the nail plate for laboratory testing.

This is the only way to go from what I have read. x

thanks judy:hug:

hey minkus, dont worry.
i've had this on my little finger. i caught it and pulled it up off the bed giving myself onycholisis. then it started to go a bit green. its purely because some moisture has been trapped in the void between nail and skin and some damp loving bacteria has set up home in there.:irked:
i fixed it by trimming the nail down, having a few minutes soak in surgical spirit to get rid of the germs and then making sure it was thoroughly dry. i followed up with a drop of tea tree oil under the nail twice a day.
this has healing and disinfectant properties. it worked brilliantly.:green:

Amb don't worry, I doubt very much is anything you done hun, as judy says alittle bit of diy at home could well be the culprit.

Big :hug:

teri x

I've had this too, with a client who had psoriasis in her nails and as a result onycholysis, the greenie was defo between the nail plate and the nail bed, I posted about it at the time and it was almost pooh pooed! We had to give up enhancements on this client as it just wasn't happening.....we even had puss between the nail plate and bed once!

So yes it can happen

Latest posts

Back