Grey balyage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fehair

Reaction score
I'm new to using wella colours, and as part of getting my experience up, I've offered to balyage my friends hair. She has black hair (from a box, with a lot of build up).
I will be using wella free lights to take as light as I can, but her hair is pretty fine. Any suggestions for what to tone it with for that perfect grey?
Thanks

Could you give us a little bit more information?

Natural depth?

Desired colour?

Are you stripping hair first? Think you might find it difficult to get black box dye to lift light enough for it to be toned grey...

Yes sorry, in bed unwell and not quite with it. natural depth a 6. She would like it as 'silver' as possible, although I have explained that we may have more hope on getting it to that darker muted grey. I will definitely be strand testing first. I'm just not sure if I will be wasting my time, considering the colour build up and texture of the hair.

Are you stripping hair first? Think you might find it difficult to get black box dye to lift light enough for it to be toned grey...

That was my thinking also. If there is build up the only way you are shifting that is to cut it. One of my clients had been doing just that and we tested pieces. Just as well we did as we would have wasted time trying to lift it. Mid and ends wouldn't budge.
Also freelights is quite gentle so you aren't going to get enough lift for what you want.

I didn't even see the part where it said black! Not a chance thats going to happen. You need to explain to her it'll be a gradual process that could take up to a year to get her light enough... And definitely avoid freelights for this.

Yes sorry, in bed unwell and not quite with it. natural depth a 6. She would like it as 'silver' as possible, although I have explained that we may have more hope on getting it to that darker muted grey. I will definitely be strand testing first. I'm just not sure if I will be wasting my time, considering the colour build up and texture of the hair.

You won't even get a muted grey... She can have brown[emoji16]

That is never going to happen! Not from box coloured black hair. You have to lift to a clean 10 (and that ain't gonna happen from box black no matter how hard you try!) she needs to be realistic. Grey is so tricky. And I'm sure she still wants her hair still attached to her head. You'll be lucky to get it to a level 6.

Especially not when using Freelights. That hasn't got enough punch.

Latest posts

Back