Grey coverage - what is best?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
Luckily for me, I don't have this problem as my hair is quite fair, but for those that do (including a very good friend of mine :hug: ), what is the best method for covering grey hair?

I believe that hair turns grey due to the lack of pigment in the keratin? and would assume that this will impact on the structure of the hair shaft?

So, if you have really dark hair (nearly black in fact) and want to cover the grey roots, what would be the best product to use ie. a semi permanent (as I believe this would be far more gentle on the hair) or a permanent? (well ...because it will be permanent!)

Or would low and hi lights be a better option?

I think for peeps who have very dark hair, they must feel conscious of the fact that their grey hairs show really quickly after having either type of colour! and indeed would a semi permanent colour really cover the grey???

I know that my roots even though they are quite fair, drive me nuts when they start showing so any help or advice would be very much appreciated :green: as would my friend.

BTW my friend has had both semi and permanent colours carried out by her hairdresser, along with a full consultation and whilst the results have been fairly good - they have not quite come up to expectations!

Hence my question :hug:

I think for peeps who have very dark hair, they must feel conscious of the fact that their grey hairs show really quickly after having either type of colour! and indeed would a semi permanent colour really cover the grey???
My natural hair colour is very dark brown... and yes I do sometimes feel quite self conscious of my grey hairs.
I've now all but given up trying to 'hide' them, fortunately I don't get many and they're usually at the sides so I can cover them up. When I see them I'm a bit naughty and pull them out :o

I'll follow this thread because if there is a definitive answer then I'll translate it and take it with me when I go to the hairdressers next time :D

Lightly applied highlights work well..something right in between your natural color hair and the grey. This technique works well for those who don't want to cover all of it up but the grey showing is a bit too much of a contrast to their natural dark hair. In other words..they don't like the "sparkles" .LOL

I use a demi color with 90% of my clients that have grey and I haven't any problems with the grey covering.
But if you don't want to do the full covering with color and just want to blend, go with the highlights.

Lightly applied highlights work well..something right in between your natural color hair and the grey. This technique works well for those who don't want to cover all of it up but the grey showing is a bit too much of a contrast to their natural dark hair. In other words..they don't like the "sparkles" .LOL

I use a demi color with 90% of my clients that have grey and I haven't any problems with the grey covering.
But if you don't want to do the full covering with color and just want to blend, go with the highlights.

JDs I am so glad you have joined the site and are a moderator - you have given lots of answers to hair questions that I and others, have needed much help on :hug: I realise that this thank you should have gone in an pm or rep (gotta spread the lurvvve and run out of rep power :rolleyes: ) but I'm sure peeps won't mind just this once :lol: :hug:

BTW was I right about the reason for going grey?

BTW was I right about the reason for going grey?
Smart lil cookie..you are correct. As our bodies get older, we start losing Alot of things that the body has always naturally produced.:irked:

You are welcome :wink2:

Hi

Yes your right snuggs the hair does change as we age, not only in colour but often in texture and condition to. Hormone fluctuations have a huge impact on your body usually the hair, skin and nails are the first affected.

As for covering grey : if its a new client and she doesnt have a lot of grey i would go for a quasi/demi with 4% (i use wella colour touch) if she wants to match her natural color. If however she has a lot i might suggest lightening her base tone maybe with highlights to start with so the grey's 'blend' more than are totally covered. IFKWIM If you lighten the tone of the hair a little the greys are as obvious.

HTH

Thank you for your replies I will let my friend know :green:

When I was a little girl I always wanted to be a hairdresser more than anything else (closely followed by a nurse) wish I had had the opportunity before and followed it through!

Oh well never mind - thanks again :green:

Thank you for your replies I will let my friend know :green:

When I was a little girl I always wanted to be a hairdresser more than anything else (closely followed by a nurse) wish I had had the opportunity before and followed it through!

Oh well never mind - thanks again :green:

How uncanny i wanted to be a nurse then a hairdresser! :lol: the thought of cleaning up poo and blood kind of put me off though :eek: hence the hair choice :lol:

Highlighting sometimes works this is why I've stayed quite blonde on top, I don't notice the sparkling hairs up there as quickly. My natural is a level 4, if my hair were any darker the bonde highlights would not be an option as I would not be able to get them an acceptable level of blonde without sacrificing the integrity of the hair.

Like JD said a color between the natural shade and the lightest shade is usually acceptable and less maintenence for the client.

There are products available- shampoos Artec, Paul Mitchell, Redken that have pigment in them that can be used to blend grey or extend the life of a highlighting or coloring service whether you are covering grey or just prolonging color life.

When covering grey the biggest key is to remember to put back what is missing- Yellow or Gold- these are the most abundant pigment colors in our hair and if not replaced the results are flat or drab sometimes even green. If there isn't enough gold or yellow in the formula it may not cover the grey either.

Demi pemanent is very similar in structure to permanent, the major difference is the oxidizer, MEA or AMP instead of ammonia and the dye molecules are a combination of preformed and indirect so they coat and penetrate instead of just penetrating the cortex. In most corrective instances, demi permanent is actually MORE permanent because of the stain, this is why it works well with grey, because of its ability to blend and not leave a harsh grow out line (demarcation). HTH

Jeni :hug: thanks for your fab info!

What is really interesting is that in the "States" you cover all aspects of beauty hair/beauty/nails.

I really appreciate all the advice I have been given to pass on to my friend xx

Oh and to add - Little Angel - I always believe that coincidences bring us together :wink2:

Latest posts

Back