Grey hair/bleached hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucycham

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need something explainig to me. Why is it that when you colour grey hair you dont have to add pigment. For example you can put a 5.0 on it and it will come out a 5.0 but if you put that on bleached hair it would come out a horrible muddy colour?

L:irked:

Hi everyone,

I need something explainig to me. Why is it that when you colour grey hair you dont have to add pigment. For example you can put a 5.0 on it and it will come out a 5.0 but if you put that on bleached hair it would come out a horrible muddy colour?

L:irked:

When you say "grey" hair I take it you mean "white" as I'm sure you know there is no suck thing as grey hair... Just a mixture of pigmented and white hairs....

Now to the question at hand... If you had a head of hair that was a nb of 6 with 80 % white hair and your target was say a5.35 you would have to add base shade to cover the white hairs fully... In the case of loreal a golden basic.. This would add the extra dye load required to fill the empty white hairs and stop it looking translucent..

In a bleached hair you have bleached out all the pigments possibly bar the yellow..the cuticle layer has also been compromised.. you could put a warm shade straight on but it wouldn't really anchor very well and would also appear translucent.. If you applied a flat or cool shade with blue pigments it would mix with the existing yellow undercoat to give a sludgy muddy green caste..

So a white hair is empty of pigment and a bleached hair most likely still has yellow pigment... ;)

Bleached hair and natural hair are completely different starting points. Whether there is grey or not, natural hair still has an intact cuticle and a healthy fibre. The grey is a mix of pigmented and non pigmented hair where you can put a base straight on.

Bleached hair has a different porosity as oxidation dissolved internal bonds aswell as pigments like brown, copper and yellow. These pigments have to be put back in order for your target to appear true.

Latest posts

Back