Grey hair going yellowy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chattichic

Reaction score
Hi I have a client that has white hair & around the front it has a yellow cast to it.... She is not a smoker we have tried a silver shampoo.
Any advice why it's happening & how we can remedy?
She went to Jamaica & didn't wear a hat, that's the only reason that I can think of.

Yeah could be heat?! I've seen some elderly ladies hair going slightly yellow after having the tongs through.

Thanks, she's always had tongs though.

In not sure then maybe just the heat and not wearing a hat. Malibu C crystal gel is meant to cleanse the hair well. Maybe worth a try?!

Thanks.:wink2:

If she has been in the sun it may be caused by photo-oxidation. White hair has no melanin pigment, which normally protects the hair in the same way that it protects our skin in the sun.

Because of this, it is more susceptible to sun damage, which can breakdown certain amino acids in the hair causing the discolouration know as "photoyellowing". It is also more common if the hair has already been bleached, and I believe it also depends on the wavelength of the sunlight.

I am thinking that toning the hair with a violet toner might be the way forward, but the malibu is also a very good idea for removing anything else that may have discolored the hair.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Fake tan or makeup !

I know you said you've tried silver shampoo, but have you tried Matrix SoSilver?

I think it's more like a toner as if left too long it does actually stain hair purple. I usually recommend clients use it 1 part silver shampoo, 3 parts normal shampoo but obviously in this case you'd just put it on neat.

Hi, this happened to one of our ladies, it's gone now, but we think it was down to a medication she was taking. For a long time we thought it was where she was spraying her perfume in the morning, (hers was more bottom back left of her nape)

Other things to take into consideration (sorry if anyone else has already suggested these, I haven't read entire thread)

Does she wear tinted moisturiser or use the moisturisers such as dove holiday skin that add a bit of fake tan?

Is there a product build up in that area that has been singed by a heated styling product.

As we all know, white hair is in fact translucent or colourless therefore there will be a contributing factor which is making it appear yellow.

Could you try a very mild bleach bath on the affected area or to a test strand and see if that removes the undesired tones?

Hayley

Latest posts

Back