Grey hair - not blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppyisland

Reaction score
Iv been h/l this clients hair for about a year.
Naturally she is salt and pepper grey. She cane to me with a flat base 5 on to get more to her natural hair. Iv bleached it with 9% with Olaplex and toned with different variants of ash/violet. Most recently matrix 8v but have used nxt Metallics, Schwarzkopf dove grey, diacolor milkshake. Her hair is very thick and very coarse.
She uses fanola at home.
When she comes back 6-8 weeks later it’s always brassy. She hates that colour.
She has questioned about a global bleach before but she’s very dark through the back. She also recalls having it done a few years ago and looking like a canary [emoji85] this pic was taken 4 weeks after I coloured her hair.
Does anyone have any ideas of getting it more “silver” or even more of a natural grey?
Il attach pic below...
7562239b3366f78570a07b2b8e0d4391.jpg

We’ll of course it’s brassy after 6-8 weeks! Thats the natural undertone being exposed. :)
The purple shampoo should be enough to tone it down between re-growth colour appointments.

The picture on my screen looks quite silver so I don’t know what the problem is really?

We’ll of course it’s brassy after 6-8 weeks! Thats the natural undertone being exposed. :)
The purple shampoo should be enough to tone it down between re-growth colour appointments.

The picture on my screen looks quite silver so I don’t know what the problem is really?

Thank you!!
I thought I was going mad!! I personally think it’s silver, I have said when she’s comes back and it’s brassy it’s because it needs doing again. But she just hates that colour.
I was thinking of trying to match it to more her natural with maybe a few darker (5) through it and then nmaybe the lighter tones would feel lighter still?
She has already contacted me about being first on my waiting list as she can’t stand the colour [emoji85]

I'm with you guys, this doesn't look warm at all to me, actually loos like a very nice natural silver. I find the blue fanola once a week or mixed with the violet fanola helps a little more at keeping warmth at bay, but it's important not to overuse it.
For future appointments I would follow her natural pattern of salt and pepper if possible. So keep the dark areas dark, and lighter areas light. If you have to put a highlight in a dark area, keep then extremely fine, this way it will lighten better and will grow out better. Also make sure you're using a quasi / demi permanent for the darker cooler colour.

I'm with you guys, this doesn't look warm at all to me, actually loos like a very nice natural silver. I find the blue fanola once a week or mixed with the violet fanola helps a little more at keeping warmth at bay, but it's important not to overuse it.
For future appointments I would follow her natural pattern of salt and pepper if possible. So keep the dark areas dark, and lighter areas light. If you have to put a highlight in a dark area, keep then extremely fine, this way it will lighten better and will grow out better. Also make sure you're using a quasi / demi permanent for the darker cooler colour.

Thank you ronray [emoji4] I struggle to see the warmth too.
With the darker cooler colour what tone would you use? I’m conscious of it going flat/khaki and I definitely don’t want anything with warmth [emoji23]

How dark would you say the darker areas are?

They’re about a level 5 maybe 6 but no lighter than that
You could try colour touch 2parts 8/81 + 1 part 4/71 or 7/89 + 5/1.

Your other option would be illumina 6/16 + 5/81 with 1.9%

You could try colour touch 2parts 8/81 + 1 part 4/71 or 7/89 + 5/1.

Your other option would be illumina 6/16 + 5/81 with 1.9%

Fantastic thank you!! Very much appreciated [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back