Grey hair on kids ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Have a question for you hair experts.Yesterday went to the beach with the kids and as my 14 year old sat on the beach I noticed a white/grey hair on his head:eek:I kind of hoped it was a stray dog hair from my Westie,that had attached itself on his head,but nope,when I pulled at it,it was well and truely attached(well,until I ripped it out,that is:lol:)

Anyway....is this normal??My hubby and family went prematurely grey but not at 14,although I dont know if this was the age their hairs started losing pigmentation or not as I didn't know them at that age.

Anyway,anyone know please????

Have a question for you hair experts.Yesterday went to the beach with the kids and as my 14 year old sat on the beach I noticed a white/grey hair on his head:eek:I kind of hoped it was a stray dog hair from my Westie,that had attached itself on his head,but nope,when I pulled at it,it was well and truely attached(well,until I ripped it out,that is:lol:)

Anyway....is this normal??My hubby and family went prematurely grey but not at 14,although I dont know if this was the age their hairs started losing pigmentation or not as I didn't know them at that age.

Anyway,anyone know please????
I started going grey at sixteen and buy the time I was 30 it was about 75% have been totally white since I was 35 (see profile pic)

I started going grey at sixteen and buy the time I was 30 it was about 75% have been totally white since I was 35 (see profile pic)
Thanx Adele,I know its all down to genetics but wondered if this was normal,guess it is,better not tell my son that,both sons already worry about going bald as there's baldness on my side of the family.:green:

Hi,
We first spotted a couple of grey hair's, on my daughter when she was about 5 yrs old.
She has really thick dark brown hair and they stood out a mile.

She is 15 now and over the past 10 years, she has had a few more but nothing drastic.

Hi Babs,

Yes it is completely normal. Not all kids get them but there are quite a few.
Chaulk it up to genetics. If you pull them out, that is one less hair that your kid has but it will just grown back grey again.

Sometimes when people get knocked in the head, it will be hard enough to damage the follicle of the hair and cause it to lose pigment.

Don't fret about it. :)

Hi Babs,

Yes it is completely normal. Not all kids get them but there are quite a few.
Chaulk it up to genetics. If you pull them out, that is one less hair that your kid has but it will just grown back grey again.

Sometimes when people get knocked in the head, it will be hard enough to damage the follicle of the hair and cause it to lose pigment.

Don't fret about it. :)
Thanks Jayne,he's had plenty of knocks on the head so could be that but then again his Dad is very grey and so's my MIL so as you say propbably down to genetics.

Hi, this sounds completly normal even if grey hair is in the family it sounds as if it is just a one off. A couple of my friends aged 18-21 have a few grey strands and they dont worry about them. If he finds this a problem then he could have some blonde highlights that will disguise the grey.
Laura xx

Latest posts

Back