Grey hair, wanting a modern grey look!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boobaloo

Reaction score
Hello geeks, ok so my client is at least 60 % grey, the usual mainly white around the front but still a base 5 with scattered grey from the crown to the hairline. The hair is very resistant, and we have in the past done highlights at the back and some lowlights at the front. She actually quite likes the grey but it is dull, and uneven. So I would like to achieve a more modern "grey" look. I'm thinking of doing a full head bleach with 3%, to lift the back up, I realise it won't do anything to the grey, but it will pre- soften so will make it easier to get some colour in
Then I'm thinking of some colour sync in a 10p? Thoughts please? Blue?!! :)

I'm thinking it would only tone the grey slightly but when using pearls, remember its 70% ash 30% gold so be careful how u lift but the tone doesn't last long, I'll sleep on this question though as I've got a stinking hangover :( xx

Thanks for replying Blue. I hope you feel better soon :) when you get a min could you possibly tell me the pink mixes ( bright and baby pink ) I tried to message you but couldn't. Thanks ever so :) xx

Thanks for replying Blue. I hope you feel better soon :) when you get a min could you possibly tell me the pink mixes ( bright and baby pink ) I tried to message you but couldn't. Thanks ever so :) xx

Yeah I'm having a play this week hopefully!! X

I often use a full head foils, alternate bleach and a beige blonde, then flood between with an ash level 8 semi. Enhances and evens the grey rather than covers it.

I often use a full head foils, alternate bleach and a beige blonde, then flood between with an ash level 8 semi. Enhances and evens the grey rather than covers it.

Lovely thanks persianista, I have done similar in the past, only thing is an 8 semi without pre-softening won't do anything on her hair, it's so so resistant, I've struggled to get a semi in a level 6 to do very much, so that's why I'm maybe thinking of going down the all over bleach first, or maybe just pre-soften it all first, full head fouls and flood with the semi? Full head option is less work though ;) she has an awful lot of hair. Hmmmm still thinking an 8p would be rather nice though either way.xx

Lovely thanks persianista, I have done similar in the past, only thing is an 8 semi without pre-softening won't do anything on her hair, it's so so resistant, I've struggled to get a semi in a level 6 to do very much, so that's why I'm maybe thinking of going down the all over bleach first, or maybe just pre-soften it all first, full head fouls and flood with the semi? Full head option is less work though ;) she has an awful lot of hair. Hmmmm still thinking an 8p would be rather nice though either way.xx

Have you tried sync extra coverage?

Have you tried sync extra coverage?

No maybe that's an option, but I din't really want to cover the grey this time just give it a bit of tone and shine and I think the extra coverage are a bit darker arn't they? Will have a look on the shade chart Tom. I'm just liking the idea of the 8/10p look. I liked yours blue! Xx

No maybe that's an option, but I din't really want to cover the grey this time just give it a bit of tone and shine and I think the extra coverage are a bit darker arn't they? Will have a look on the shade chart Tom. I'm just liking the idea of the 8/10p look. I liked yours blue! Xx

Mines rinse out now :( I'm gonna try 10v and 10p, sync extra coverage only blends not full coverage but on in Wn I think :( x

Mines rinse out now :( I'm gonna try 10v and 10p, sync extra coverage only blends not full coverage but on in Wn I think :( x

That was quick! Did you use colour care shampoo and cond?! ;) lol!! I'm so used to saying that these days :) ooh how disappointing I was loving that colour. X

Well to be honest ive got fortetherapie in the shower at home, might try again and bring color care total results x

Hello geeks, ok so my client is at least 60 % grey, the usual mainly white around the front but still a base 5 with scattered grey from the crown to the hairline. The hair is very resistant, and we have in the past done highlights at the back and some lowlights at the front. She actually quite likes the grey but it is dull, and uneven. So I would like to achieve a more modern "grey" look. I'm thinking of doing a full head bleach with 3%, to lift the back up, I realise it won't do anything to the grey, but it will pre- soften so will make it easier to get some colour in
Then I'm thinking of some colour sync in a 10p? Thoughts please? Blue?!! :)

I might be barking up the wrong tree and not understanding fully what youre trying to achieve, but have a look at affinage gothic collection...range of greys but with shine unlike natural salt and pepper...i dont get chance to use them much as my clientele is pretty young but a friend of mine uses them all the time for lowlights on white hair and to give more of an even salt and pepper look on uneven white hair :)

http://www.affinage.com/uk/links/AFFINAGE_Gothic.pdf

Last edited:
Affinage greys are superb, I have had them all full head one time or another, had a lot of older ladies saying they wanted their hair that colour :p

Thanks Perry, no not barking up the wrong tree at all!! She isn't all that old, just 40 and her hair is long. I want it to look quite striking and she's always up for something new!! She likes being grey but as I say it's dull and uneven. I would prefer to use Matrix if poss, but the gothic collection def looks very interesting! I'm steering towards all over bleach with 3% then an 8av all over,
With maybe a hint of baby pink thrown in :)
somewhere

So a follow up.........firstly I used matrix protopak to prepare the hair, then i did an all over bleach with 3% it lifted the dark hairs between the grey beautifully. I then applied a 10p so colour with 3% all over. It was absolutely lush, some areas ( the original dark bits, that had been lifted to a pale yellow ) were a beautiful beige blonde and the grey looked lovely too. :) happy client. Lovely result and one I will be doing again :)))

Glad you got a great result. Always a good day when you get a happy client:biggrin:

So a follow up.........firstly I used matrix protopak to prepare the hair, then i did an all over bleach with 3% it lifted the dark hairs between the grey beautifully. I then applied a 10p so colour with 3% all over. It was absolutely lush, some areas ( the original dark bits, that had been lifted to a pale yellow ) were a beautiful beige blonde and the grey looked lovely too. :) happy client. Lovely result and one I will be doing again :)))

Aren't they beautiful!! X

Yep lush! Very similar to loreals 9.13 s perfect as they were the only ones missing from my palette :))

Ooh and other lovely products, protopak and instacure, hair felt lovely after all that :) x

Yes!! I used to love 7.13 and 9.13

Latest posts

Back