Grey toners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren Louise

Reaction score
I have a pre lightened client who is wanting to go grey, she doesn’t mind what shade of grey. Does anyone have any goldwell Topchic or Elumen ideas for grey?

Hi Lauren,

Goldwell Colourance 10P mixed with 8SB can work quite nicely to add a grey tone. I would add more of the 10P than the 8SB as it can grab quickly depending on the porosity of the hair. I would definitely recommend doing a strand test prior to the toner to eliminate any uncertainty.

It may also be an idea to ask your client to show pictures of the grey she likes? Although she says she doesn't mind what shade of grey, they can vary a lot in terms of how light or dark they are and I imagine she does have a preference even if she doesn't express it beforehand. It is always best to be on the same page as a client to help ensure total satisfaction for both sides.

Thank you so much! What ratio would you normally mix up?

For grey, I always tone first to neutralise the bleached hair, then colour.
If you don’t do this, you have to be careful that the blue in the pearl tones doesn’t tone the raw yellow to a khaki green.

As @salonsaviour says, you need to be clear what sort of grey she’s looking for. For instance, a dark steely blue grey or a soft wisp of lilac grey?

Hi Lauren,

I do three quarters 10P to one quarter 8SB, to avoid the 8SB taking over. However, I would strongly advise doing a strand test - as everyone's hair is different!

Latest posts

Back