Groupon and the like

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppies

Reaction score
Groupon, a deal too far….
Having been a beauty therapist for 22 years, owning my own salon for 18 years, I have seen the various advancements and near clinical treatments evolve within the industry. From what was essentially a wage earner, the beauty business has spiralled into a very rewarding profession.
I currently own a large salon in a busy little town centre and have seen both the growth and the demise of trade during the current recession. The tightening of belts in most household budgets is bound to have a knock on effect to businesses that rely on the disposable income of working families. Fortunately there is a strong desire in today’s society to look good, but where clients were rebooking at three weeks, they now try to make it back to the salon four weeks later. All in all, we as salon owners have to maintain very high standards to retain clients.
The recent upsurge of online “price buster” sites such as Groupon, were seen as a welcome lift to falling appointment books, and on the face of it, they do have a place in my view for certain promotions. However, having been approached to utilise their services, I have come to the conclusion that they are becoming increasingly harmful to the beauty business.
Groupon, suggested I should come up with a one-off deal that would draw in the masses, they were quite keen for me to do an offer on keratin hair straightening on the hair side of my business, as it had proved a great success for many other salons, their argument being that once the new clients book in for the offer, they will “add on” other treatments within the salon when they visit, a reasonable assumption. I arrived at a bargain price of £99.00 for what is a two to three hour treatment using approximately £30.00 of product cost. This to me seemed an opportunity to promote my salon and break even on the deal.
When Groupon, called me back, they suggested I offer this deal at £35.00 as other salons had used this price to great success. At this point, I began to realise the offer would not be self-financing regardless of the numbers of new clients this offer would attract. Furthermore Groupon, were to receive full payment from the client on booking the appointment whilst retaining 50% of the cost for their part in the promotion, the monies due to me would be paid approximately 14 days later. I declined their offer as unacceptable.
Discounting treatments does work, however these sites have created a following that chase the various deals on offer, they will not, in my view breed any loyalty to your salon whatsoever, the suggestion that these appointments will book other treatments when they arrive is flawed, in that, they are at your salon to save money and the real purpose of these clients is to have a cheap day out at a salon they have not previously visited.
My conclusion is age old, to have a busy salon you need to be consistent, welcoming and essentially, be the best at what you do. Anyone can give away their time and service, the real skill is in your ability to make your client feel that for the period of their visit, special.
I have seen little salons set-up and make “unbeatable offers”, but the truth is, even in these recent roller coaster trading conditions, Client retention is based on these principals and your ability to create a haven for them during their precious time with you. There will always be a need for these new little salons as people’s budgets fluctuate and we all need to cut our cloth accordingly, but the real success stories never gave away the family silver!

I absolutely couldnt agree with you more.

I am (at present) a self employed nail technician working above a hairdressers (I qualify for beauty in June) so business is slowly building... I understand that I need to work when I can and believe me I do but I see these Groupon deals and it kills me.

I had a company phone me directly after seeing my website (it wasnt Groupon but the same concept) the guy was very nice and gave me all of the benefits about bringing in new custom, etc.

I sat and listened politely but knew my answer as soon as he started talking. When he finished I said to him 'I wish you well with your day but no thank you' He said 'May I ask why?' and I said 'Yes of course, I've heard of plenty of salons agreeing to Groupon and such like, ending up with more bookings than they can cope with, each virtually at a loss and at the end of it, the clients are not loyal - they just move onto the next salon with the best deal' The was a silence at the end of the line and he just said 'We call those "bargain hunters" - He totally agreed with me.

Its just a shame that this sort of business will continue but I think there is a business for loyal clients that know the therapist and will stick with the same person and this is what I will rely upon for the future.

x

Could not agree more, devaluing our trade and profession is not the way forward. Groupon are the only winners.

I agree and disagree I recently ran a groupon. I did my research and came to the conclusion I would benefit from doing this.

The reason I did a groupon was purely for advertising purposes, I am a new salon in a poor location (but cheap rent).

I could have spent hundreds if not thousands on advertising to get ahandful of new clients.

In total I sold 120 groupons and sold about the same in direct bookings.

So far all bar 6 have rebooked and revisited the salon and rebooked again, most of them having other treatments as well.

I also at the time of running the groupon I ran the same deal in the salon.

I did not offer anything of a brand name or branded treatment therefore not devaluing these services, I.e shellac, hd brows and the like.

I've had so many new clients from groupon that didn't even buy it but got directed to our website and they liked what they saw at full prices.

So for me purely from a business point of view groupon has worked wonders, ok they took 50% off me but I'm too the winner.

I do agree though that seeing shellac manicure for £9 and similar are going to attract the disloyal and bargain hunters and you run at a big loss per client and it does devalue the treatment.

The only winner is Groupon. The biggest loser is the industry as a whole.

I agree and disagree I recently ran a groupon. I did my research and came to the conclusion I would benefit from doing this.

The reason I did a groupon was purely for advertising purposes, I am a new salon in a poor location (but cheap rent).

I could have spent hundreds if not thousands on advertising to get ahandful of new clients.

So far all bar 6 have rebooked and revisited the salon and rebooked again, most of them having other treatments as well.

I did not offer anything of a brand name or branded treatment therefore not devaluing these services, I.e shellac, hd brows and the like.

I've had so many new clients from groupon that didn't even buy it but got directed to our website and they liked what they saw at full prices.

So for me purely from a business point of view groupon has worked wonders, ok they took 50% off me but I'm too the winner.

I do agree though that seeing shellac manicure for £9 and similar are going to attract the disloyal and bargain hunters and you run at a big loss per client and it does devalue the treatment.

Your experience of it sounds very interesting to me. Can I ask you what the services were that you offered and how much it was? As you say the 'big brand named' treatments are the killers - Shellac for £10 is the one I see popping up too often for my liking

x

I too have used Groupon, when I took over my salon it had only ever been a hair salon for 14 years with loads of scope for beauty. I researched Groupon worked out what offer I could do when opening the beauty side of business for me we sold 420 deals with 90% using the Groupon and 75% of them either adding other treatments or rebooking. I look at it from a marketing point for me it worked it let ppl know that we now offered beauty and cut the time down that I was paying a wage for someone not generating business at the beginning.
My beauty therapists are now nearly allways booked up in advance.

When I was deciding whether to do it I went back through my books and looked at what I was doing least of and it was the basics of beauty the bread and butter of any salon.

I was at the time doing on average 40 spray tans a week, gellux like it was going out of fashion, lashes galore but minimal waxing tinting and facials.

So the deal I done was choose 3 out of 6 treatments.
Express Manu, pedi, facial, 15 min massage, body scrub and eye package to consist of eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting and eyebrow wax.

These were the treatments that I wanted to be popular in the salon.

With groupon you have to up sell this is where you make your money for example I did body scrub so up sold a spray tab for straight after.

I did not offer or state any products to be used.

I offer express and luxury. Luxury is my expensive brands express is lower end brands.

A good friend of mine runs her own company making home made products and candles Isis a deal with her that she supplies me really cheaply and in return I retail her products.

All of my groupons I used her products and sold loads too and ppl liked these products liked the concept of supporting a local supplier etc.

In return her business has grown.

All I can say us if u consider a groupon you have to be completely business like with it.

Think about what you want to generate money from yes you can do shellac for £9 but once they like the product they will just look around for where it is cheap next time.

Do not do it to boost income from a one of treatment look at it long term.

Always treat the groupon customer as if they are paying full price give them the same service as a full paying client.

Do not oversell cap it be realistic even if u cap it at 20 you will get an experience of it and can always run another one.

In 10yrs this has been my most successful advertising campaign and I regret wasting money on paper adverts, Leaflets etc that have drawn no business in.

X

Also I added a surcharge for late night and Saturday's and when ppl rang up to book I'd offer them times when the salon is quiet Wednesday is a dead day for me so booked up every wed with them x

When I was deciding whether to do it I went back through my books and looked at what I was doing least of and it was the basics of beauty the bread and butter of any salon.

I was at the time doing on average 40 spray tans a week, gellux like it was going out of fashion, lashes galore but minimal waxing tinting and facials.

So the deal I done was choose 3 out of 6 treatments.
Express Manu, pedi, facial, 15 min massage, body scrub and eye package to consist of eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting and eyebrow wax.

These were the treatments that I wanted to be popular in the salon.

With groupon you have to up sell this is where you make your money for example I did body scrub so up sold a spray tab for straight after.

I did not offer or state any products to be used.

I offer express and luxury. Luxury is my expensive brands express is lower end brands.

A good friend of mine runs her own company making home made products and candles Isis a deal with her that she supplies me really cheaply and in return I retail her products.

All of my groupons I used her products and sold loads too and ppl liked these products liked the concept of supporting a local supplier etc.

In return her business has grown.

All I can say us if u consider a groupon you have to be completely business like with it.

Think about what you want to generate money from yes you can do shellac for £9 but once they like the product they will just look around for where it is cheap next time.

Do not do it to boost income from a one of treatment look at it long term.

Always treat the groupon customer as if they are paying full price give them the same service as a full paying client.

Do not oversell cap it be realistic even if u cap it at 20 you will get an experience of it and can always run another one.

In 10yrs this has been my most successful advertising campaign and I regret wasting money on paper adverts, Leaflets etc that have drawn no business in.

X

How much did you charge for this

I see groupon in 2 ways aswell, there is stupid people that do shellac for £9 then there is people who use it wisely, it's like advertising but paying after th have succeeded getting your name out there, in fact you don't pay at all you have to do the service. Groupon doesn't come down as far as me which I suppose is a good thing, but I would like to do a groupon deal, it gets your name out there. For established business' running them I think it is a downward spiral tho :-/

I also agree and disagree too!
Having run a CND Shellac offer for £10 (my usual price is £22) with a similar but much smaller site called Living Social I sold around 40 vouchers. I've completed most if the treatments but at the end of each I've taken my appointment book and asked each client if they would like to book their next appointment in advance. Although they have all been very happy with my service they all declined. This got me thinking. Why would someone pay £22-25 for a treatment when every salon on these sites are offering the same treatment for as little as £7 and usually no more than £11?
Now, I'd just taken on a nail room within a beauty salon on the Wirral in an area where I had no clients. I do 3 days a week there. But I also work on the other side of the Wirral, from home 3 days each week. Working from home has it's pros and cons, no passing trade, no walk-in's but no rent etc. The Wirral is a small enough place for people to travel to any part of it. Anyway, I digress but it's relevant.
I decided after testing the water with Living Social to run a Groupon offer but this time I wanted to offer L&P enhancements and not Shellac.
I felt confident in my skill that this system would bring repeat bookings and I really and honestly have to say that it has. Every set of enhancements that I did through Groupon have re-booked, told their friends who have in turn booked, bought gift vouchers and booked in for other treatments. I am now super busy in both my home studio and my commercial studio BUT, you have to know how to manage your appointments.
Obviously my regular clients take precedence and I have been mindful to make sure that they are accommodated, I allocated 8 -10 hrs each week for Groupon clients and didn't break that rule. Once those spaces were full the Groupon client was told that I was fully booked until xyz date. As they had 6 months to redeem their vouchers this was fine to do, most people want them as soon as possible but towards the end of the 6 month period Groupon offered to extend the voucher by another 3 months so that I could accommodate the remaining few. In total I sold 241 vouchers.
It really did work for me and for the lady who owns the beauty salon in which I rent my room from. I really, really do believe that the key is good time management though. It can and does, seriously fail when all 200-odd people call within the first 3 weeks and you frantically book them all in leaving no time for regulars, walk-in's and full paying customers.
I also changed my voice message as I use my mobile as my salon phone number. The message now states that "for bookings and enquiries please call between the hrs of 11am -6pm Monday to Fri and please note that voice and text messages regarding Groupon vouchers to this number CANNOT be returned."
This then makes sure that you aren't using any of your own money to return calls and texts etc.
I hope this helps.
All products used are CND
xx

Latest posts

Back