Groupon, have you tried it, what are your thoughts & opinions please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Offering single treatments mobile won't be worth your time. You will be at a loss. Why not offer a pamper party deal?

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Great to hear what you all think. I guess being mobile id be lucky to cover costs but as my huby said so many people will see my company details which would be a great way to get it out there.
Have any of you had repeat clients from it? that would be my main aim but i feel that people use it as a budgeting site to make those luxury that are hard to get with the recession possible,but aty expense? hmm still not sure.
Do you have a link to the other company id be interested to compare the two.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Yes it will be good business but can you imagine how meny people might buy your deal and how much you will lose.
As I previously said my offer was RRP £73 and I made £10 out of it. So added onto product cost and your time minus petrol money you will end up doing all these treatments for nothing! Out of the 45 clients I have done so far through groupon only a handful have rebooked and those ones stay 5mins drive from me.
If it was a mobile offer you will have people all over the place buying it and you will lose out so much. I really wouldnt recomend doing a groupon if you are mobile. As theres no guarantee anybody will rebook.
Alot of groupon users only buy these things as they are mega cheap.

For those who are mobile, why not add in the terms and conditions that travel costs will be applied at xx amount per mile, that way you will get something for your time!

Above all, use Groupon etc for what it is - an advertising tool! It gets your name out there and may increase your client base. Above all, if you collect all their details, you will have a target audience to do your own offers!:hug:

Living social is far much better than greedy groupon.

You can negotiate the share depending on the price you are offering.

And you get your money even if the voucher wasn't redeemed by your customers. So no "send the codes"
nonsense.

Nail designer with a twist;)

That's a very interesting point, I'd like to find the answer to that question....

Groupon of course keeps the money!

If you are.mobile state what areas are.included in the price outside of that radius there will be an extra call out fee

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

From a consumer point of view I have just purchased a colonic for £28 through Groupon. The usual price of this treatment is £70. There is absolutly no way I would rebook this treatment because I simply do not have the budget for a £70 treatment.

To me it doesn't matter how fantastic the clinic is, how fantastic the treatment is or how much I love it, I won't become a regular customer because I can't afford it. I am there because it was such a steal.

So in this case it is a waste of time the place doing my treatment because I won't be a regular.

I reckon a good 90% on there are like myself treating themselves due to the price.

I wouldn't be offering treatments on there!

I agree with gemsie above!

I also think groupon attracts a certain
Client - after a bargain and no intention of being a regular client.

With the amount of shellac vouchers
For my area on groupon I could have a shellac every fortnight for past 6 months from different salons for £10-£15!

Wow - that's kinda depressing when you look at what you actually get.

Mat

Your not looking at the bigger picture! It worked fabulously for me... I have gained new loyal customers x

I nearly took out a deal with Groupon recently until I did the math... Some London salons were selling hundreds (even thousands) of vouchers so I thought I'd work it out. I figured if I was offering a service with £75 to Groupon who were selling it for £29 then take into consideration the 50/50 split, plus the VAT which they'd charge me, I'd basically be getting around £10 for a service that takes my staff 2 1/2 hours. That doesn't even cover the products used, the bills or rent on my salon and then there's their hourly wage to consider too... If 150 people bought vouchers then my stylist would have been tied up for weeks purely doing Groupon clients. I'd have made a massive, massive loss for clients who weren't willing to pay full price...

If Groupon had sold a few hundred more of those vouchers then that could quite possibly have run my business into the ground.

Just not worth the risk IMHO. Better off taking the gamble on an ad in the local rag, or a new leaflet design and delivery company.

Here is a lil secret my salon told me.... Groupon does do research on whatever service you offer else where and on your salon website. They normally take 50% off average service advertised then you make half of that booo lol
But what some girls have done is made up a service and call it something special like example: (cut w/"european" :) deep conditioning treatment and scalp massage) they come up with a price say $60.00 = $30.00 on groupon = $15.00 for provider which means $15.00 hourly which they calculated to be worth their time and product for possible new returning client, added it to menu before contacting and leave the service on menu until after groupon ad has came out then remove from menu unless clients are booking it regardless if normal price. So basically you make it sound like a spruced up service (to be able to charge more) which is still great because you are offering it and you know you do a good job. I have 2 girls who booth rent and the both went in on the ad the ad together 240 people bought it. This is their second time doing the ad the first time only 42 people bought it :s lol
Any how I have yet to do this because I do nails and i am pretty booked as it is. Hope this helps :)

I had a meeting with a chap from Groupon on Monday, I recently went full time so thought while I have these extra slots in my diary I might aswell give it a shot.

I'm not particulary looking at the 'profit' from the groupon offer as honestly, there is none, infact if I thought about that too much I'd proably get depressed, lol, it will however cover cost of products.

I think with things like this you have to look at the bigger picture and think of the potential clients it could bring in.

I will do my best to upsell other treatments while they are here and also it should give alot more hits to my website so fingers, toes, legs & eyes crossed I will get some more from that too.

It goes live on Monday so will keep you posted!

Living social is far much better than greedy groupon.

You can negotiate the share depending on the price you are offering.

And you get your money even if the voucher wasn't redeemed by your customers. So no "send the codes"
nonsense.

Hey Natalya, I'm looking into social living- do they send you the full voucher payments or ask you to return the vouchers for your payment like groupon do? I enquirer with social living online about a week ago and nobody has been in touch which is a bit disheartening! If there is any further info on social living u could give me I'd appreciate!

Thanks!

Kim xx

Hey Natalya, I'm looking into social living- do they send you the full voucher payments or ask you to return the vouchers for your payment like groupon do? I enquirer with social living online about a week ago and nobody has been in touch which is a bit disheartening! If there is any further info on social living u could give me I'd appreciate!

Thanks!

Kim xx

D'oh sorry just read your post properly! So u don't send in the vouchers which is great in comparison to Groupon! They must make so much off unused vouchers!!!!

Anyone know anymore on social living? I tried Facebook ads too but just not cost effective. My bid for clicks had to be so high to get any impressions so I could only budget a few clicks per day! What's everyone's experience with Facebook Ads? K x

Groupon were on watchdog tonight did anyone else see it? X

Can't believe this thread is still going, fab to hear all your views. Yes i saw it too puts it in a whole different light,feel very sorry for the salon being put in that situation and i can't help but wonder if it was worth it for them ie did they loose money on these treatments,did they have to turn away regulars or full paying clients to fit groupons clients in did they get return clients???
I decided not to do it this year as i feel it won't work for me whilst being mobile.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I suppose you really have to weigh it up.

Like some have said, you're getting your name out there on a large scale.

Some people also buy vouchers as gifts, which could turn into loyal clients. Also people that have never been to a salon might use Groupon to 'test the water' and they may become clients.

I think it was Craig? who mentioned doing a pamper party type offer. That way I suppose your initial charge could be really high, and if your in one place for long enough then it might not work out at a loss.

Im going mobile and maybe it can be specified that all customers be in the 'XX' post code area.

The lady who does my, ahem, 'intimate' wax (i gave up doing it myself - took me forEVER!) did a Jessica Geleration offer and I think she has done pretty good from it, I'll ask her next time I go as she should be able to see if she's had rebookings from it by then.

Oh and I recently went to a salon for my own Groupon and they said they limited it to 2 Groupon clients a day so they were all spaced out and didn't have a month with bad takings.

OOH - thats just reminded me, when i went i was going to see Katy Perry, and my underarms were ready for a wax so she did them for me, so there was an extra already, plus she gave me 25% off my next treatment which i will be using too :)

Thanks!

Kim xx

You don't need to send anything back. You get the money about a week after the deal is closed. I think. No voucher submissions. They will send you a list with names and voucher codes for your reference.

Our salon collects every clients email address and we now are emailing the catch it quick deals directly to our customers. It works.

These places are not really for money making it's for getting volume through that door. And if you are good and making good first impression there are no reason why they wouldn't rebook. We have done 2 groupon and 1 living social deal in the last year and we have gained a lot of repeat business.

Latest posts

Back