Groupon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Who buys from here and do you get the same service/products as they say you would if you paid full price?

I've never bought anything, nor wowcher. I just can't believe the low prices.

Just wondering how you've found it x

I use Groupon regularly although I've never bought a service from them (except afternoon tea but I've not arranged that yet!)
In my experience, Groupon are much better than wowcher. I've never had a problem with them and products I've bought have been great.

I know from talking to people who have used it (suppliers) that GroupOn take a large percentage of the price and there is massive paperwork involved in ensuring the supplier gets their portion back from GroupOn, one error and they lose out. Therefore I only try to use them for actual 'products' or things like hotel rooms. Products are sold with a mark up for profit therefore if it's cheaper then the seller is still making a profit and I'm getting a bargain, so I don't feel uncomfortable. In my view empty hotel rooms still cost money so if they want to give it to me cheaper then they've obviously allowed for the lesser income. I don't like using GroupOn for things like haircuts/beauty treatments/etc. as I know margins are small at the best of times and it devalues our trade.

I'll happily use them for restaurant deals, even though I know the mark up on food can be small too, but I think for restaurants it does give them and us the opportunity to try and potentially become a regular.

I've used Wowcher quite a few times - couple of Christmas or birthday presents here and there. The ones where they send you the discount code are best as you can then go onto the actual website and order through there.

Booked a Paris trip a couple years ago through Wowcher as well and it was really good, as soon as I had bought the voucher I was given all of the info for the holiday provider. I never had an issue with it. Definitely Google hotels, providers beforehand though as like everywhere else they tend to use the best photos which may not be up to date :)

Agree with not buying the beauty services / products though!!

I bought my dad a racing car experience for Xmas no problems with it :)

I have used both and think groupon is better but mainly for household stuff not services.
Just had an issue with wowcher cos I ordered a steam mop which never arrived and I couldn't go hold of the company. They did refund me but in the form of a credit note so have ordered a new one from different supplier and hope this one comes!

I use both & before getting into beauty I used to be one of those bargain chasers we hate so much hahaha!

I once paid around £25 for a full body massage & demalogica facial from a new salon that had opened & my god! It was the best treatment I have ever had! Genuine products,full hour massage, full hour facial & the therapist was amazing! I stayed a regular(ish) client for years until I moved out the area.

Yet another time I booked a 'package' (from another salon I add!) that included cluster lashes that glued my eyes together by a very uninterested & stroppy therapist that couldnt give a hoot.

I know the first experience is probably (and sadly) a rare occurance, but Little gems do pop up on there occassionally. I can understant why she did the bargain site thing as a new salon, but its not something thats ever interested me as a therapist/business owner xx

I've only had one experience which was when a friend bought us both a spa day.

We booked it three times and each time received a phone call in the morning cancelling us as a therapist hadn't turned up.

I can understand they cancelled the groupon people rather than full paying customers but it was annoying.

I've used Groupon for travel bags etc but would never purchase a beauty service from there

I've used Groupon for travel bags etc but would never purchase a beauty service from there
Why is that? Do you think you may not get a good service or is there another reason?

So if you bought say s hotel stay or afternoon tea, would they send you a voucher? Or do you just rock up with your Groupon email??

So if you bought say s hotel stay or afternoon tea, would they send you a voucher? Or do you just rock up with your Groupon email??

You can show the hotel your voucher on your phone so they can scan it or print out the voucher they send you.

I would ask the hotel which they would prefer.

For my dads one I printed off the voucher and he's taking it with him

The small print for each offer will tell you what the supplier wants, for 2 hotel stays it's been a print out of the Groupon voucher, but for another that had to be booked on the phone via a booking centre they just wanted the voucher number and a view of the email on my phone when checking in.

I always print a copy just in case

I have used groupon for goods and serices. The goods I have had have usually arrived swiftly and are great, the services have been hit and miss but that is reflection on the company supplying the service rather than groupon.

I will purchase anything I am interested in, (yes, even hair & beauty services) as I think the company offering the service at a reduced price should be aware of their margins and what they will be making or losing per groupon sale & if the service is good I do usually return as a full paying client/customer.

I have recently had some beautiful photographs taken of my daughter & some friends for her 13th birthday through a groupon deal, I bought an extra photo package direct from them after the shoot so they got an add on sale but I have reccomended them to others & I will definately return to them in the future as the service was brilliant.

The way I look at it is, I love to try out new things & new places and if there is an offer on wherever it is why shouldn't I use it?

Don't often post anymore but thought I could help. I've ordered loads from groupon and their service is brilliant. Cannot fault them. I had a faulty item and once I emailed them they couldn't apologise enough and I got a full refund. Something else was late and the postage was automatically refunded and I got a follow up email to check the product arrived.

Wowcher were a nightmare. Ordered twice from them and never received the item. First time I got a refund after about 2 weeks of arguing the second time they refused to refund me. I went to CAB and emailed them back one last time citing the law that they had to refund me and they started getting rude and refused only offering me a credit note. I ended up going via my bank using the visa chargeback thing to get my refund from them and was told by both CAB and the bank that wowcher are nightmares and they are always having to deal with them taking money and never sending out stuff then refusing to refund.

Won't hesitate to use groupon but wouldn't use wowcher again for anything. Never bought services just products though.

Why is that? Do you think you may not get a good service or is there another reason?

My reason is this:
As an industry professional I will not support others in the industry that drastically under cut service prices by doing deals with discount companies.

I understand hair and beauty salons do this as a cheap form of marketing, however it is destroying the industry and counterproductive.

Groupon, wowcher and other beauty industry sites which promote drastically discounted beauty and hair services are underminding professionals who charge real prices.

Many people now do not want to pay full price or have unrealistic expectations of what treatments cost as these sites groom people in to getting something for nothing.

I know many people that will only use salons offer deals or running Groupon offers etc.

The thing is that, where these type of clients were far and few between, they are now the norm.

What's even more shocking is that salons, feel that rather than hold their rates they drop them to compete with these deals which is counterproductive.

I have spoken to many businesses in my area all have long standing excellent reps like me and they all say how much Groupon and the like have affected their businesses and the way clients shop around for treatments.

I was approached by wowcher to do a makeup classes and the wanted me to work 4 hrs for £10 per person (15 people in the class) plus provide and pay for goodbags worth £7 for each person, and provide a room and pay for it as I'm mobile, It's insane.

Groupon are no better.

I have used wowcher for hotel deals, which were great. One of my clients bought a microdermabrasion voucher from groupon and paid £21 instead of £45. She felt that the treatment was rushed and not worth £45 but would go again at the lower price.

So here's the best tip. If you see a deal on Wowcher or Groupon, contact the salon/hotel/establishment and ask if they would honour the discounted price anyway. Most will say yes, because that way they get the full amount of the discount price without having to pay anything to Wowcher or Groupon. It's definitely worth asking.

My reason is this:
As an industry professional I will not support others in the industry that drastically under cut service prices by doing deals with discount companies.

I understand hair and beauty salons do this as a cheap form of marketing, however it is destroying the industry and counterproductive.

Groupon, wowcher and other beauty industry sites which promote drastically discounted beauty and hair services are underminding professionals who charge real prices.

Many people now do not want to pay full price or have unrealistic expectations of what treatments cost as these sites groom people in to getting something for nothing.

I know many people that will only use salons offer deals or running Groupon offers etc.

The thing is that, where these type of clients were far and few between, they are now the norm.

What's even more shocking is that salons, feel that rather than hold their rates they drop them to compete with these deals which is counterproductive.

I have spoken to many businesses in my area all have long standing excellent reps like me and they all say how much Groupon and the like have affected their businesses and the way clients shop around for treatments.

I was approached by wowcher to do a makeup classes and the wanted me to work 4 hrs for £10 per person (15 people in the class) plus provide and pay for goodbags worth £7 for each person, and provide a room and pay for it as I'm mobile, It's insane.

Groupon are no better.
I really enjoyed reading that post :) I feel the same really in regards to hair & beauty, not so much for other products but then I'm not in those industries, I often look at local salons advertising their offers and they've either put a cut & blowdry with conditioning treatment at like £100 before discounts so you get it for like £25 or their actually charging like £5 for it, I think it cheapens our industry too, and encourages deal hunters, I wouldn't ever put my business on there

So agree with Lady Murasaki.......
Where on earth can we go from here......
The bar has been lowered, folk want it all, for a ball of string.:oops:
Try charging a fair rate for your quality service now, and they will think you're a greedy Bast**d! o_O

Latest posts

Back