grrr! keep filing my own nails!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonjovirock4eva

Reaction score
how on earth do you guy protect your nails!

spent ages last nite painting my own nails they looked really good but im practicin my gels 2 day and when im filing down the tip to size it for the nailtrainer i keep catching my own nails! have now lost loads of polish off them and they need re-doin
oh well guess its extra practice in polishin!!
just wondered if any of u had any tips as to how 2 save mine!!! :grr:

I think its practice really, If the polish wasn't there you would be filing your own nails which over time is not good.

When I was starting and had this problem I used to use tech wrap which is like an elastic strip which you could wrap round your fingers. I found this snagged against the file though and got in the way x x x

i do the same...i start with square and end up with almond on my thumb and middle finger...i know its cos of how i am holding my file but its the only way i can do it...tried lots of other ways and i just revert back within 5 mins...

This is where I find the almond/stiletto shape helps, since wearing this shape I don't seem to file my nails as much x
I tried the tech wrap but found it got in the way (bit like wearing gloves)

Are you catching the nails on the hand you are holding the finger with? If so try changing your grip slightly so your nails are not in the way, I'm assuming as you are using a trainer that you are relativley new, if so it will be easier to change your grip now than way down the line when old habits die hard! . Be concious of the way you are holding the finger & persevere until you get your grip right, before you know it it will feel totally natural to you & no more scratched nails.

I'm exactly the same AND dissolve enhancements/enamel on right hand off the scrubfresh! Gonna do Brisa course next year so at least I should end up with one hand half decent, lol!

mine and all the girls in my salon are the same. i even round my index finger on the hand i HOLD my file with, god knows how i do this lol

i also get terrible file burns on my fingers, if im having a busy week they end up bleeding:cry:

does that mean im neva gonna have good nails again!!!!!!!!!

does that mean im neva gonna have good nails again!!!!!!!!!
Lol i have just started my course and Ive been thinking the saame thing

This is where I find the almond/stiletto shape helps, since wearing this shape I don't seem to file my nails as much x
I tried the tech wrap but found it got in the way (bit like wearing gloves)

TRUE THAT!

well im just coming up to the end of my level 2 and my nails are the pits at the mo, all short and thin nail plates , its just something we have to put up with i guess lol, 1 of my tutors at college told us that until we finish our courses we wont have nice nails as we are always practising on each other lol...Lucylou

This is an LCN product but it works like a dream :) and it doesen't hinder the filing.
Protective Finger Bandage, Beige

A nail technician's dream. Our protective finger bandage is ultra comfortable and is disposable for maximum hygiene.
Colour not as pictured!

Me to!

I got a sore thumb and index finger, soooo sore!! :lol:

I have just brought some of that finger bandage stuff today and will be using it the next time i practise. Looks like a god send!:)

The only nail I file is the right hand side of the thumb of my left hand (I'm right handed), I just seem to catch it when I'm holding the client's fingers . . . other ways just don't seem as natural or as comfy so I've just got used to a slightly wonky thumb - or occasionally I wear them all more rounded just so they're all the same for a time

I hold the finger with the thumb pad and knuckle of my index finger, so my index nail is practically tucked under the finger I am holding.. never had a prob, wear my own nails long, never catch them on the abrasives.

Latest posts

Back