Grrr, skin testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairdressingBug

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
Does anyone else have the same problem as me?
In my salon we do everything by the book and wouldn't i have it any other way! but there is 3 salons within a 5 minute walk of mine and none of them do skin testing when they do colours on new clients. basically if they have tint already on there hair they are happy enough to accept that as they are ok to have a colour without a skin test.
It is so annoying because I lose so many clients because of this reason. We are in an area where we do get a lot of walk in ans they ask for colour and we say "unfortunatly because you havnt had a colour at this salon before we have to do a skin test at least 48 hours before your colour appointment. We can do this now as it only takes a few minutes and we can book you in for you colour in a few days time. We have to do this to protect you because if you have a serious reaction to the colour it can be fatal and its our job to protect all of our clients" Then they say no its fine I need it doing today. then literally go to the next salon and they get there colour done! its so annoying its like we are being punished for being legally compliant.
Am I the only one who has this problem?

can't you write on their client card something like "client happy to go ahead without skin test" and get them to print sign and date it?

I don't think so because I don't think that my insurance would cover that if something did go wrong :(

I don't think so because I don't think that my insurance would cover that if something did go wrong :(

Your right, it wouldn't stand up in court.

Eventually the other salons will become unstuck. If they're skipping on skin testing then god knows what other corners they're cutting!
Be patient.. Once they slip up then your salon will stand out to be the one that actually cares about the health and well being of their clients.

Can you just tint test them anyway then next time they may be able to call in to your salon?

Im beauty but I will tint test nail clients, & waxing clients 'just incase' they want an eyelash or brow tint.

Ive worked in a hairdressers (2) as a saturday girl, 1st time I learnt about patch tests was in college!

Xx

The L'Oreal rules are that you test for a new colour, or if they havent had colour in the last six months.

We are the same and yes it is very annoying especially when some clients get slightly annoyed by it !
I just explain that ALL salons should do it and why so we look the most professional !
I would rather lose a few quid on a colour every now and then than have the level of stress that comes with a law suit . Not much else you can do unfortunately :(

I know and I would never lower the standards of my salon to the standards of theres its just frustrating. I thoughts all my problems where answered with the new well innocence range they are bringing out (where they claim you don't get a reaction from it) but after properly thinking about it they could still be allergic to the developer so will still have to skin test for that.
I do suggest to everyone when they come in that that if they have the skin test they will be then covered in the salon to be able to drop in and just have a colour when they need to (depending on the appointment availability that day) but you would be surprised how many people actually refuse it.
I know I am doing everything right and I can sleep easily at night knowing that but its just so frustrating when I am turning away a couple of hundred pound a week because of it
Thank you all for your comments :) its nice to know I am not the only one who is in this position

Goldwell elumen is a permanent hair colour where skin testing is unessacery. Yes it performs differently to koleston or whatever you use but could be ideal to claw back some lost business.

I second ColourGirly.

Elumen doesn't need skin testing.
It's not ideal in all walk-in circumstances but it gives you some scope and some of the colours in the book even give you a '1 up' on the other salons because they wont have the same range of permanent shades.

Oh right but isn't there a possibility they could be allergic to the developer? And would insurance companies cover that if some reasction was to occur?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can you just tint test them anyway then next time they may be able to call in to your salon?

Im beauty but I will tint test nail clients, & waxing clients 'just incase' they want an eyelash or brow tint.

Ive worked in a hairdressers (2) as a saturday girl, 1st time I learnt about patch tests was in college!

Xx

New laws came in last year or end of year before, so they have to have a test 48 hours prior to the treatment & then the treatment has to be then done within 90 hours. If the treatment isn't done in the 90 hours, then the test is 'null n void' and will need re-doing all over again.

If a client has had a colour treatment with the salon already (and they arent trying to go darker than there previous treatment) then they can have a repeat treatment, within 12 weeks of there last treatment. If it exceeds that then they again have to have a patch test.

(If an existing client normally has a light colour & wishes to go darker, then they must have a patch test done for upto 2 shades darker than the colour they wish to go now, (as they could react to the increased level of parabens) ....

Goodbye to patch testing? You can now use the NEW PRODUCT FROM Wella : Koleston Perfect Innosense. Here this link here - (I've cut n paste some of the info below)

Sense and Sensitivity: Allergies to hair dye - are they over?

Wella Professionals, Koleston Perfect Innosense is a new professional hair colour brand which is formulated with ME+, a brand new dye molecule which offers the same high standard of colour while reducing the potential for allergic reactions thanks to something as simple as its shape.

How does it work? PPD (para-phenyleneadiamine) and PTD (para-toluenediamine) are the ingredients that are usually to blame for hair dye reactions, and are used in the patch test that's recommended before treatment. It's these two ingredients which have been replaced with the new, innovative ME+.

- See more at: Sense and Sensitivity: Allergies to hair dye - are they over?

Hairdressing Bug - Elumen doesn't HAVE a developer.

It's kind of a similar consistency to crazy colour - except it's permanent and as well as bright shades there are blondes and browns.

Yes I have seen this I am stocking this in on my next wella order at the end of the month. I will check the manufacturer instructions when it comes in and see what it says on there :) Thank you

Odd question but Can you actually have an allergy to peroxide? It's just water with added oxygen. Is that possible?

Oh right but isn't there a possibility they could be allergic to the developer? And would insurance companies cover that if some reasction was to occur?

There's no developer, no one has ever reacted to it. EVER. Ring goldwell an ask them it it's a manufacturers instruction no need to test.

The OP had stated her issues with skin testing. Wella Innocence is still a powerful colour that can cause severe allergic retail and still requires a skin test. So it doesn't answer her problems.

Oh this sounds great I'm going to look into it :) I have never even heard of it! Ive always used well for everything but I'm going to have to look into goldwell :) Thank you :)

There's no developer, no one has ever reacted to it. EVER. Ring goldwell an ask them it it's a manufacturers instruction no need to test.

I really don't think you should state this as fact in a public forum as you cannot possibly be certain that no-one in the world has ever had a bad reaction to the product.

Some people have skin that is highly sensitive to water and cannot wash with tap water. (My sister-in-law for one). So although pretty rare, just because you are not personally aware of an adverse reaction doesn't make something 100% safe.

I have recently developed a reaction to several semi-permanent colour ranges and many salons still don't test clients when using semi's who would normally test when using anything mixed with peroxide.

Following manufacturers guidelines is to ensure your insurer will pick up the tab if you get sued. However, it's no guarantee that a client will not be harmed by a particular product just because the patch test looked ok.

I always personally test with a darker tint as the pigment is more concentrated, especially if the client is having a global application of colour.

Latest posts

Back