guarantee work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrie

Reaction score
I was left a business card and a price list from one of my clients on my table when i wasnt in late friday, it was from the new huge nail bar in a large shopping centre.

The thing that struck me was down the bottom of the price list there was a little note saying :

We do not guarentee any work from this salon, once you walk out the door your nails are your own responsibility. These arnt the exact words as i left it at work :?

I agree in part that yes the client has to take responsibility and look after her nails, but i think saying that they give no guarantee for any work done in the salon is going a bit far?

I do if i can see the problem is something i have done wrong, but if its a break or something like that i do charge them, but if i have made a mistake i do my best to correct it and do right by the client.

Im wondering what everyone else does? do you give guarantees?

Kerrie :)

kerrie said:

Hi Kerrie,

I guarantee my nails for 7 days from the appointment. If they have any losses or major lifting within this time and they have followed my homecare guide, then I will fix them free of charge.

Unfortunately you do get the odd clients who will pull the wool. If you just mention that if they have nails which come off, please bring them with you which will help you to ascertain the problem. You would be amazed how many people stop having so many losses in the first week LOL.

You should know by the state of the nail plate whether they came off willingly or not LOL.

I only guarantee against lifting.
Breakages have to be paid for although I do include a free new nail if needs be during a maintenance appointment.
Breakages are really the clients' responsibility. When they leave the salon my contract is complete and they do not leave with breakages!! :D

hi guys :D

could i just ask what would you do in this situation i have which is in regrads to guarantee of work. I did a full set of gel/tips last week on a girl (17yrs). well i knew from the appointment that she wasnt properly listening to what i was saying about homecare etc so when i got home i bet with other half that theyd be off in no time due to her picking/not looking after them. 2 days later one tip has came away at the side slightly from when she was play fighting with someone so when she told me this (i was in the pub and this was in the evening) i said if you just dont touch it etc it will be fine as it wasnt pulled away that much at all. Next day its 'came off' and she has banged another one in a door and most of the nail tip and most of the gel but not all from right next to cuticle has came away. I didnt see her about this as she told my other half who works in same place as her. Then basically over a period of the next few days she told a mutual friend of ours she has chewed the rest off because they looked a mess with 8 nails on (having to chew the rest of proved to me my nails were strong enough in the first place)! i couldnt beleive she hadnt attempted to ring me etc to have a repair done or anything like that where i could have obviousley helped her! so i thought fair anough nails obviosuley arent for her as she wasnt at all bothering with them in my opinion so that was that. now i hear from our mutual friend she had been discussing with a load of our other friends one evening that she thinks she should be entitled to a free set! i nearly died when i was told this. in all this time she hasnt mentioned her nails to me or this free set conversation either but is willing to discuss me and the nails with everyone else which i was a bit upset with really and thought well what do i do if she does ask (even though im sure she would have done so by now if she was going to)

any advice on this kind of situation anybody? im struggling where i live as it is to get clients so could do without people bad mouthing my nails really. sorry this is so long but wanted to know what you all thought youd do in this situation.

thanks for any advice anyone can give
collette

I had a similar situation with the very first set of nails I did. They were on a hairdresser in the salon I was thinking of renting a room in. She pestered me to do her nails before I had completed my 4th day of my Foundation course. I did them, but they were on the thick side and slightly too wide at the tip. She made me rush as she was meeting her boyfriend and despite me saying I needed a lot of time. Before I was really finished to my satisfaction she said she had to leave. She said she was happy with her nails (I wasnt!) I asked her to contact me soon so I could do maintenance and improving. After 4 days I had heard nothing. I went into the salon and I was told that she had tried to file them herself, she went over the top and filed some of the white virtually back to the tip - not a pretty sight LOL. She then made pains to hide her hands when people asked about her nails - no chance of me working there then LOL.

I certainly would not give your client a new set FOC. I give all my clients a homecare guide and I get all new clients to sign my consutation form saying they agree to look after their nails in accordance with my information and that I am not held responsible for any problems if they do not.

A year later the girl in the salon saw someones nails I had done and she called me to see if I would do her nails - cheeky mare wanted them for the same price I had done the first set :evil:

Hi ya all,

Well my policy is the same as Geeg's, if there is any lifting in the first few days of the nail service, definatley not more then a week, then I will make good, so to speak..................
Breakages, like they say in all those little ornament shops, will have to be payed for lol.....................

If I have a clients on the phone telling me that they fell off, I always tell them:
Oh dear you poor love, well if you come in and let me have a look I will see what the cause for this was..................
Can I also have a look at the fallen off tips please????
Oh you haven't got them anymore???? Well never mind I will be able to tell by the stress marks on the nail plate exactly what happened!!!!!!
So when would you like to come in ??????

This lets the client know, and they are usually new never been to me before clients, that I know my stuff and will not just go oh ok I will redo them lol ....................

As for Colettes client:
Tell her the nail enhancements are meant to break, thus protecting the natural nail from severe damage done during.....................
unarmed combat
shutting fingers in doors
falling over
They are not indestructible and will not withstand the power of ..........
Teeth whether they are human or gerbils, hamsters, pet rats or any other life form lol...........

If by any chance she does ask for a free set...........Tell her no!!!!!!
If I had gone to the hairdressers and they had given me a nice hairstyle and I then went home willy nilly took the scissors to my hair, chopped it all off...........Do you think they would give me a wig or hair extensions for free................NO..............
In my book it's self inflicted and therefore she pays for a new set......
If she dind't look after the first fully payed set, what makes you think she will look after a new freebie one ..........No reason what so ever ..........

As they say, she is young, she will learn, that you have to take responsibility for your actions and that means in her case.....
Pay for a new set............

So Hun don't beat yourself up over this, be firm , be professional and be confident that you know more then she does...................

love Ruth xxxx

I guarantee my nails providing they take heed of aftercare advice and after listening to advice on this board I now ask anyone who loses a nail to bring it in so I can assess why it fell off. Since then, I have had no complaints of losses at all

hiya guys

thanks soooo much for your advice it confirmed everything i already thought anyway just that sometimes you find yourself questioning yourself so thought id get an unbiased view of people who dont really know me rather than just the one of my other half, mother etc who all said what you have just said.
I do have a policy thing they sign regarding taking meds etc but i think i will incorporate the above info regarding homecare into it just to cover me a bit more in the future.

thanks again ladies!

collette :D

geeg: you said you guarantee against lifting for 7 days, so if someone was to come to you for a 2 week maintenance appointment and there was lifting to a few nails is that something they could have done? (not that im saying this would ever happen to you lol )

Im not really having a problem with lifting clients, as i have just started using Rentention +, I did a new set on myself 2 weeks ago when i got it and i am usually prone to a bit of lifting and always need to buff and fix my nails up , but with the Rentention + i havent had to touch my nails in 2 weeks, they really look like they were just done yesterday :shock: The only thing i have been doing is using solar oil twice daily, the results are brilliant :D

The reason i really asked the question was that i know we are not responsible for what clients do to their nails, but i do feel responsible if i make a mistake and there are problems, then i try to make good on them, to keep my clients returning. Usually when i ask them what happened when they tell me their nail just snapped off, i get oh yes i got it stuck in the car door or i was lifting up the garage door, but i know they do try it on lol, I really cant understand why though , for the sake of a $3 repair lol

Thank you for all the imput and advice everyone :)

There is an old saying ... as the nail grows, the balance goes.

After 2-3 weeks is when lifting MAY occur depending on where the apex of the nail has grown to. The longer the nail, the more pressure is put on to zone 3 where the nail is anchored -so to speak.

So the answer to your question is YES, if lifting occurs after a few weeks it is pressure and not something you did. However if this is happening a lot to one or more clients, then make your zone 2 coverage extend to zone 2 and a half to compensate BUT only on clients who habitually have this problem. I think it will be rare.

Usually it is the clients who 'push' it manitenancewise and go 3-4 weeks. I always charged more for a 3-4 week rebalance even if there was no problem - much more work to keep those nails in shape!

Any lifting before 7 days - and usually you would seei t on more than one nail - is the nail technician's fault.

Thanks geeg :)

Yes i understand totally what you mean, although now that im in the salon i have been so busy, back to back clients from 9 to 5.30 all week , alot of them are rebalances, and most of them are 3 - 4 weeks as they have waited and are looking for a new tech, im finding im spending alot of time fixing up these nails its been a bit nighmarish, and as i have my prices for rebalance/Infill posted out the front on a sandwich board i cant really charge more, its why im getting them in the first place, but i just had to get that of my chest lol

But yes most clients are all so quick to blame their last tech, and yes some of them are quite justified i have been seeing some shockers lol but i have also seen quite alot of good work too, but im taking this all on board to making me a better tech and it also helps me improve my work as well :)

But i am definatly clear on the guarantee of work now :)

thank you very much

kerrie said:
I was left a business card and a price list from one of my clients on my table when i wasnt in late friday, it was from the new huge nail bar in a large shopping centre.

The thing that struck me was down the bottom of the price list there was a little note saying :

We do not guarentee any work from this salon, once you walk out the door your nails are your own responsibility. These arnt the exact words as i left it at work :?

I agree in part that yes the client has to take responsibility and look after her nails, but i think saying that they give no guarantee for any work done in the salon is going a bit far?

I do if i can see the problem is something i have done wrong, but if its a break or something like that i do charge them, but if i have made a mistake i do my best to correct it and do right by the client.

Hi Kerrie

yes I guarantee a new set of nails for a week. I have made a few mistakes and have always put them right without charge. I also explain why it happened to the client and learn from it.

I am relatively new in this business and the other day a client came back to me after having an infill 4 days previous with 3 broken nails. I was really nervous about charging her so when she came in before I started the treatment I explained to her that I would charge her for each nail, giving her the choice whether to have them done now or wait and have them mended at her next maintenance appointment. She didnt have a problem and paid me (and even gave me a tip) this has boosted my confidence no end.

I think salons that dont even try and help or educate their clients are making a big mistake, which if they do is great because I hopefully will get their business !!

Heather
Mobile Nails

I guarantee nails for a week against lifting and breakages are to my discresion. It is difficult to find out if a client is pulling the wool over your eyes, which a lot do but most are genuine and will admit. I would rather a client admit and then I respect them for that and feel I can offer the help free.

Hello all...

Yes, I guarantee my work- until the next appointment- whether it be 2 or 3 week rebalance. After 3 weeks, no guarantees- as Geeg stated- the nails become very unbalanced after 3 weeks.
Lifting is never a problem- I use Retention+. :)
As for 'breaks'- I fix them for free within 2-3 weeks- no matter what. (My pricing varies for 2 and 3 week rebalances- in my opinion- the longer they go between maintenance appointments, the more time, work & product used.. so I charge accordingly).

I have always had this saying (when clients ask if I charge for repairs),

"If you break a nail, I do not charge to fix it within your normal maintenance schedule. You will already have "paid"- in 'pain'- as a result of the break!" (Their nails are 'on-there'... a 'break' equals OUCH!)

There is no such thing as "my nail fell off". HA! No way, no how. Not with Creative products & Creative training!

If a client says "my nail fell off"- I'd probably just start laughing- hysterically! (lol) Then I'd say- "I'd like to see that happen- go ahead, do it- make one fall off!" lololol

Bottom line is- don't believe them when they say 'my nail fell off'!

Can you believe some clients!!?? They're just looking for a free repair. Sheesh.

Hi Melissa, I am interrested to know why you would guarantee against breakage, when a break is clearly not your responsibility ... is your 'guarantee' just to promote good relations?

Like most, I have always included a new nail (one only) within a rebalance if necessary (for good will) but I would never fix a break in between appointments for free myself as the time it takes to do in the salon is much longer than when included within the rebalance appointment.

Your offer is a very generous one. I hope your clients appreciate it.

Hi Gigi,

Yes, my guarantee is to promote good client relations :) Your reply prompted me to go through my 2003 appt. book last night- and throughout the whole year, I only had 4 nail repair (15 min.) appointments. All of my clients (around 95+ total/70 standing appt) are very appreciative of my policy- most especially because they do not have to take advantage of it! Breaks are so rare! Now I hope I haven't jinxed myself! (lol)

I remember years ago when I first started, when a client would come in for their appointment, after my usual greeting I would ask, "How are your nails"... now I just give the usual greeting and basically expect that their nails are still perfect.. thanks to Creative and all of the education & hands-on training I have received (and continue to go to)! :) Creative's education is the BEST!

Of course, if a client misses an appointment (I charge them for missed appts), and comes a week or two later than usual, and has a broken nail- most times I still don't charge-- for some reason I feel that charging for repairs is 'nickel and diming' them... repairs are so rare- and yet so easy to do (as you mentioned) within the maintenance appointment.

I usually have a few 15 min breaks within my week (just because I don't book time for lunch everyday)- and I can squeeze in a repair then...

I just find that it amazes clients that I guarantee my work and do not charge for repairs... and that's an impression that sticks with them that sets me apart from the rest...

With the influx of NSS salons (here in the States anyway- do you have a lot of NSS there?), it's important to separate ourselves from them, rise above- and offer the best customer service, highest quality work, a guarantee policy, and a relaxing, sanitary environment, etc.

Best wishes,

You've convinced me!

I will do the same from now on because actually, as you say, breakages are so rare these days that you get all the credit for offering the service, but it is rarely needed. Sounds like a good deal for both the technician and the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back