Guidance required

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trebor

Reaction score
Hi, My wife and I are in the process of opening a wellness practice, offering massage, reflexology, acupressure along with hypnotherapy, weight loss, life coaching etc. the shop/unit we are renting is huge and it has been suggested that we add some additional services to the site, such as hairdressing, nail bar and a tanning booth. Now the nail bar will not be an issue as my wife can cover basic nails and we have looked at further training and the tanning again my wife and daughter have looked at courses for this.
My main question is renting out chairs to hairdressers, what do I supply I have spent the last three days looking for answers, and still none the wiser. I was going to offer a chair with work station, and use of backwash, for the following week one free, then weeks two to four £70.00 and the thereafter £100, which I am told it still to cheap. The location is on the main road with a bus stop right outside. no hairdressers for at least five miles.

So to get back to my original question, what do I supply, or what is the minimum I need to supply? All the stuff I have read despite a lot of it contradicts, however, the main consensus is to make sure a contract is in place. Where do I get one? Can I do my own using many of the templates, or should I have one drawn up, and if yes what is the cost and who can do it, incidentally I am based in Scotland.

Sorry if this may seem long-winded, but this all-new to us, and we want to get it right obviously for us and for any stylist that comes on board.

I may have forgotten something, but we will leave it there for now.

As a hairdresser, id expect, a station, (chair mirror etc) backwash, refreshments, towels, WiFi.
That's about it if I'm honest.
The rest of the equipment I'd supply.

Id just do the rent at a day rate and do a discount if they are there all week

Hi, My wife and I are in the process of opening a wellness practice, offering massage, reflexology, acupressure along with hypnotherapy, weight loss, life coaching etc. the shop/unit we are renting is huge and it has been suggested that we add some additional services to the site, such as hairdressing, nail bar and a tanning booth. Now the nail bar will not be an issue as my wife can cover basic nails and we have looked at further training and the tanning again my wife and daughter have looked at courses for this.
My main question is renting out chairs to hairdressers, what do I supply I have spent the last three days looking for answers, and still none the wiser. I was going to offer a chair with work station, and use of backwash, for the following week one free, then weeks two to four £70.00 and the thereafter £100, which I am told it still to cheap. The location is on the main road with a bus stop right outside. no hairdressers for at least five miles.

So to get back to my original question, what do I supply, or what is the minimum I need to supply? All the stuff I have read despite a lot of it contradicts, however, the main consensus is to make sure a contract is in place. Where do I get one? Can I do my own using many of the templates, or should I have one drawn up, and if yes what is the cost and who can do it, incidentally I am based in Scotland.

Sorry if this may seem long-winded, but this all-new to us, and we want to get it right obviously for us and for any stylist that comes on board.

I may have forgotten something, but we will leave it there for now.
Hi there
So in our salon we all pay a percentage for our space.
Ours was 30% initially and is now 40% however I k ow salons that charge 50%.
All colours and stock are supplied by the hairdresser themselves as they are self employed.
The chair, shelving and backwash etc are supplied by the salon.
A service agreement is a good idea so both of you know where you stand and what is expected, however as they will be self employed how they run their space and column I guess is up to them.
I'm my previous salon we had no formal contract and she pretty much treated me like an employee. I'm NY current salon it clearly states I'm self employed and how I run my room is completely up to me.
With regards to nails... It's a huge business now and I would advise getting an established nail tech in, not that your wife and daughter aren't fab at nails! This could potentially make you money right off the bat!
Sometimes hair can take a bit to build up as people are more precious about their hair where as nails they are more likely to give it a go.
We work on the rule if a customer comes back 3 times they are a customer for life.
Good luck!! [emoji256] [emoji256] [emoji256] [emoji256]

I’d stick with either a daily or weekly set rent rather than a percentage split as it’s much easier to manage.

I think that one of your biggest issues isn’t renting out the chair, but dealing with disputes, if you’ve no knowledge of the trade.
Hairdressing clients can be extremely picky and often have completely unrealistic expectations about transforming from a plain Jane to (any current celeb in the public eye) and will often blame the stylist when it doesn’t work out as they envisaged. You need a hairdresser who is very skilled at providing a thorough consultation to mitigate these incidents.

A self employed person is running an entirely independent business within your premises so they get to decide what services to provide, products to stock, prices to charge etc. However, if they’re the sort of hairdresser who isn’t actually very good, is lazy and not bothered about ensuring clients are skin tested before a colour, re-uses towels between clients without washing them etc., then you’re entire business operation could be tarred with the same brush, so I recommend finding an extremely experienced hairdresser on board to help you recruit the right candidate to rent the chair(s). I’d also consider offering an initial discounted short term contract (3-6 months?) to ensure the fit is the right one, both for your business and the hairdresser, with an agreement that the rent increases to x after the initial period.

I agree with @Pinkbekah82 that with hair, women are a lot more cautious about changing their hairdresser so it can take much longer to establish a decent sized clientele, compared to a Nail Bar.

Thank you for the replies and helpful comments, I have a few more questions
1) If we put a contract in place, what would we need in the contract, of course, if they are SE they can come and go as they please, however, if we charge a set daily rent with a set minimum attendance days, and discount for all week would that not been seen as employed?
2) So as we understand it we supply the bare minimum is that correct?
3) In regards to placing an advert what would we ask for or what should we be looking for?
4) Would we charge the same rental for the nail technician as we would a stylist/hairdresser?

Appreciate the feedback and comments so far

1) Yeah I think you're getting tricky there. You can't put in minimum attendance. You can put if you contract is for X days rent and regardless if they turn up they have to pay that rent.

2) Correct. Don't get involved with receptionists/bookings/taking payments etc.

3) Placing an advert to promote them? I woudn't really. If you want to promote the location do it yourself on your own dime with no specifics but each individual should be doing their own promotion.

4) That's up to you. Hairdresser normally makes more and needs more - IE back washes etc.

Hi Thanks, Banner Penguin

For taking time out to answer our questions, however, what I meant was, advertising for a stylist/hairdresser, not promoting them.

In regards to a contract, is there a standard fill in the gaps template I can purchase, and from where?

Thanks again

Hi Thanks, Banner Penguin

For taking time out to answer our questions, however, what I meant was, advertising for a stylist/hairdresser, not promoting them.

In regards to a contract, is there a standard fill in the gaps template I can purchase, and from where?

Thanks again
It’s worth going to a solicitor in my opinion. Making sure something is actually legally enforceable.

Ahhh. In terms of advertising for renters I imagine stuff like Facebook, gumtree and so on. Just be careful as people seem to struggle to get decent renters.

I would advise joining the NHF. They provide the contracts you need for free.

We joined the good salon guide, so we are listed in their magazines we also have a star rating that we use to promote the business... People tend to like that.
My friend helped with our contracts she's a HR consultant.
I think there are loads of useful templates but agree with what @BannerPenguin says. Everything will fall into place any way and you have your family to support you and help make decisions.

Hello peoples, it's me again.
Well the update is we now have three rooms completed, and slowly obtaining the relevant salon furniture, I have purchased a backwash and due to the small under the sink water heater have installed a shower to service the backwash, however, the showerhead is too big and bulbous, so I want to use the existing backwash head, but the hose is too small to fit the shower. So my question is can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get an adapter to use the existing backwash hose on the shower unit?

Latest posts

Back