Guniea pigs & other long haired pets

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
Do any of you have piggies? Or other pets with long hair? I've spent hours trimming mine tonight and have epically failed fair play... The pig is back in its house and Im going to have to drink a large glass of wine to chill the hell out...

There's got to be an easy way to trim a pet? I just don't have enough hands!

I've got one long haired and one slightly shorter haired pig. I don't tend to trim them at all. They love the fluff! I do brush then regularly.
I may need to trim the longer haired one around his bum as he gets older. Stops them causing a mess!
What are yours called? Any pics? [emoji4]

I have a short haired piggie so she doesn't need grooming thank goodness. We do have 2 dogs though one of which definitely needs regular grooming so I get the clippers, scissors and brush out and she loves it. She looks great at the end but I tend to look wet, messy and generally rough!! :rolleyes:

We had 5 girl piggies, sadly not with us any longer. The only one that needed trimming was one which randomly grew a long shaggy bit off the back end of her for no good reason lol - I used to kind of drape her over my upturned left hand, and she just used to lie there lol

Piggy pics anyone? Here were my little darlings
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453676076.116215.jpg

Omg they are gorgeous! Your own herd

awww piggies my fave small pets. long haired piggies shed just like short haired piggies so you really dont need to trim them although you may want to just around their bottoms so they dont get matted or messy.

@blossom your piggies were very cute :)

Aw great! I'm so glad there are piggie people here! :D This is sprite (short hair) & biscuit (the long haired) her hair gets really matted around her back feet, I managed to cut most of the top but she started freaking out when I got to the bum area, my daughter tried to help but the game on her phone was more important so that iritated me too! I'll give it another go tonight

@krum whats your habitat like for them? How don't they get matting?

Mine are in a c&c with a hay loft & fleece lower area

@blossom their gorgeous! I'd never trust biscuit over my hand she'd have my fingers off or my veins out of my arm lol, she's a feisty one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 54
This is a few months ago before her first trim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 38
She's got better hair than me. S'not fair!! :)

I'm finding hair everywhere this morning lol, it's finer than baby's hair! She got goldwell de tangling stuff on the bits I cut off too lol, desperate times ;)

Oh her long hair is quite different to my boys. His is long but fluffy so it doesn't drag so much. This is the best pic I can find on my phone. I need more little pig pics. You can't fully see his fur!
We have saw dust atm but I'm thinking of changing to fleece.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453712741.166801.jpg

If it's just back feet and back end, why not put her in an old jumper sleeve.

One of your kids old jumpers, cut off an arm and then s/he can see out the arm. But won't scratch you with their claws etc. and because their feet are in the jumper, they can't scrabble away...

If it's just back feet and back end, why not put her in an old jumper sleeve.

One of your kids old jumpers, cut off an arm and then s/he can see out the arm. But won't scratch you with their claws etc. and because their feet are in the jumper, they can't scrabble away...
A jumpers a brilliant idea! I tried to swaddle her with a towel last night but it wasn't working, she's like a little ninja lol

Oh her long hair is quite different to my boys. His is long but fluffy so it doesn't drag so much. This is the best pic I can find on my phone. I need more little pig pics. You can't fully see his fur!
We have saw dust atm but I'm thinking of changing to fleece. View attachment 193726
Aw that's cute :)

All ur piggies are sooo cute!! Especially ur long haired surf girl!! Xx

Now,don't laugh girls.... but.....

I've always been afraid of Guinea Pigs! :( I think its the way they squeak & the thought of scurrying lil claws.....

saying that though, the one with long hair (Biscuit?) is gorgeous!

If you don't mind me asking, do they smell? I've had rats & hamsters that can be a bit whiffy & think I imagine Guinea Pigs to be worse 'cos they are bigger! (odd through process I have sometimes lol!) the (imagined) smell is part of my fear!

xx

A hammy smells a lot more than a Guinea!

As long as you keep their cage clean you won't have a problem. Mine used to obligingly all wee in a designated corner which made it easy to do that bit a lot.

The actual smell of a Guinea itself is wonderful. At the risk of sounding a bit weird, I fully admit to sticking my nose in their fur and inhaling - lovely! :)

We had 5 and none of them nipped, all adorable.

They have different squeaks for different emotions!

You'd love them - are you tempted? X

We have saw dust atm but I'm thinking of changing to fleece. View attachment 193726

Krum he looks quite young? Beautiful [emoji173]️

Now,don't laugh girls.... but.....

I've always been afraid of Guinea Pigs! :( I think its the way they squeak & the thought of scurrying lil claws.....

saying that though, the one with long hair (Biscuit?) is gorgeous!

If you don't mind me asking, do they smell? I've had rats & hamsters that can be a bit whiffy & think I imagine Guinea Pigs to be worse 'cos they are bigger! (odd through process I have sometimes lol!) the (imagined) smell is part of my fear!

xx
I'm terrified of hamsters & rabbits! Piggies have little personalities tho :) their lovley to keep as pets, they can be a bit skitty if you make a loud sound or go to pick them up when they don't want you to but I've got a technique to pick the little buggers up now without them mauling my fingers o_O biscuits bum does tend to smell because her fur gets wet from the wee but sprite dosent, I just bathe biscuits bum in the sink every now & again and the smell goes, it's the urine on top of hay that smells the most, there's some kind of chemical aparanty that gets released when hay gets wet, they only need hay to eat tho which can be kept in a container so they can live purely on top of fleece which eliminates pretty much all the smell :)

My daughter makes me watch squeak dreams on you tube all the time... We have learned lots

Mine used to wheeeeek at the tops of their voices when they heard me open the fridge - they knew where the veggies were lol

Latest posts

Back