gutted! a year wasted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie32

Reaction score
I started a part time hairdressing course last year, it was three hours two evenings a week over 2 years. Last year we did one nights theory ( finished ALL of our theory in that year) and one night practical.

After the summer hols we returned to college to find we had been merged with 2 other groups, which is just fine until we realised we were all at varying stages :irked: One group is competant enough to do clients and have just a few assesments to finish, the other group is slightly less competant and our group.....:irked: havent completed a thing! cant do anything on the block let alone a client. We spoke to the new tutor ( who we will only have on one night cos on the other night we still have our old tutor :irked:) and he said for what we had learnt last year wasnt worth doing and we might as well be starting all over. He is flabbergasted at just how much we DONT know ( even the complete basics)
In one year we learned one cut ( one length) put 5 direction setting curlers in the front of the block, an oil treatment, conditioning treatment, a vertical roll, a scalp plait and put 3 foils in the fringe of our block. Not good is it?:rolleyes:

I feel really let down and fed up, I have some serious catching up to do and what makes it worse is on one evening we are stuck with the same tutor as we had last year who taught us nothing:mad:
Im seriously thinking of chucking it all in tbh the only thing that keeps me going is the thought of loosing all that money.

:cry::cry::cry:

God hun how I sympathise with you!!!! Feeling pretty similar to yourself at the moment but dont give up please:) Its awful that this tutor/college hasnt done you proud by providing the service and education you have paid for. If you really really think that you havnt learnt what you should have in the last year then you need to speak seriously to the course provider and see if either they can provide you with the tuition that they have failed to give you or read some of the replies to my thread ''so disheartened..advice guys'' as the geeks have really helped me think seriously about my options. What about putting your foot down and getting a refund-they havnt delivered what you have paid for!?
Im going to be totally honest and say to you I think what you have done up to now isnt alot :( and cant believe that you have only been shown one cut....I think that alot of these courses now are about getting bums in seats and ticking their boxes. Dont get me wrong there is no doubt in my mind that there will be fab tutors and colleges that let people like you fullfill their potential but by the sounds of it thats not what they are doing for you hun. You need to be progressing and improving at a steady pace. Stand your ground hun and feel strong in the knowledge that its not just you these people are letting down coz Im feelin ya!!!

OMG sat there reading this and thought how this sounded near enough exactly like me last year!!

exactly the same course part time evenings, same layout, and we also had a tutor who we didnt learn much off, she was lovely and great hairdresser but to soft , took ages to get lesson started/no one listening...then same as you we got a guy do one lesson the next year he sat us down saying cant believe the level your at , none of you are going to pass etc etc!! he owned a salon in town , was really strict, blunt , rude, loud but he turned us round!

there are few things you have to make sure you do tho which is difficult
bring in any friends/family you can to do assessments on when not got anyone practise on your block

practise at home when got chance....use conditioner and talc mixed together for practising foils

depending on ur circumstances try get a job in a salon , i got one as a salon assistant 3 days a week - learnt more here than a whole year at college , shampooing / neautralising / stocktaking / how to do bookings is all key parts if you want to go into a salon and just watching when your free, you learn so much

thing that annoyed me the most was I was rushing about getting models,making sure i got everything signed off and when it came down to it at the end , some who hardly turned up/ only passed a few assignments got the same qualification as me at the end - colleges are only out for the money and fill the places we all know that - just got to think we have a better standard and it will show, they wont last long - if they even get a job!

I am now a junior stylist in the salon I was a assistant in,and still learning lots as obviously a 2 day a week college course is not going to make you a expert it is very basic level.... whilst I was learning at college I was pregnant and had a baby half way through and only took the week off to have her, and still got through it, if I can do it anyone can!

best of luck
xx
and there always hair geek for questions!

I think there maybe some advantages here, you may have an opportunity to shadow someone who is on a higher level or more experienced with hairdressing and you will have an opportunity to put your theory into practice, I hope I am right, but if this is not the case I think you should speak up sooner rather than later when it could be too late. Good luck and hope this helps :)

Hi
I am sorry that you seem to have had a bad tutor. However, I think that you should continue but make sure you have a part time job in a busy salon...for no pay if needed. Hairdressing is a practical " hands on skill" that you learn by doing. You must do all the home hairdressing that you can, practice is all. Dont be afraid to charge once you are more proficient though :!:
You will learn the basics in college but ultimatly you will learn to become a stylist yourself ...by experience

Thats me decided then-Ill be going straight out tommorrow to find a salon that needs a passionate level 2 student who is willing to work hard and put in the effort to get the results I need! xx Hun get yourself to see your student union or your head of department and tell them in a non threatening but damn straight way that you arent happy and want what you paid for or your flamin money back, you deserve better xxx

Latest posts

Back