Guy 36 trying to become a nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyNails

Reaction score
Hi people.

So I’m a complete novice to nails, but I’m super convinced that this will be the right career for me. I’ve been looking at courses to take etc and I’d like to use CND, as I’ve read a few posts that recommend them.
So my questions are...

1 Do you think I’m to old to start a new career in this industry?

2 will my gender be a issue?

3 why can’t I find a complete nail course with CND? I can only find courses with gel or shellac etc not a course that covers it all.

I’m located in Leicester so I’m aware I will probably have to travel, maybe somebody knows of a equally good training school closer to me. Thank you for reading all my post and help would be very much appreciated.

Hi
1) no - plenty of us came to nails later in life
2) no - many of the best nail techs in the world are men
3) CND is some of the best training in the world, they don't 'lump it all together' in one course as each system, skill, and product is an individual in its own right and treated as such. Plus not everyone wants to do everything so individual courses work better.

Good nail training is never local no matter where you live :p CND is a great start, good luck, keep us updated in how you're getting on

Ahh ok that would make sense then, thanks for your help [emoji16]

Im 37 and start training with CND next month! I had similar worries about my age but think some of it is me being gutted about not doing it sooner!

Im doing L&P in October and then Shellac in November. If all goes well then I will do a CND Spa and Pedicure at a later date. Im glad that I can space it out.

I actually did a full on course with a different company who I wont mention about 9 years ago, we did acrylic, gel, fibreglass and manicure all in 5 days.... it was way too much all at once and to be honest wasn't very good. I remember at the exam looking at what another student had created and actually felt really sorry for her because looking at them thought there was no way she would pass.........she did. Seems like they just passed everyone lol.

Good luck x

Last edited:
Thank you Dolly day dreamer, I’m glad I’m not alone.
How long after the courses do you think you’ll be doing people’s nails?

It is never too late. I think that best nails done buy Russians/Ukrainians, with actual deep manicure (cuticle clean up and application without 2 mm gap) and nail plate leveling. You dont need CND course. There is lady in Coventry (she is polish), she teaches russian manicure. I live in Desborough and I can also show you what to do. My works are attached. I went to Riga for nail course. Courses in Uk are very behind unfortunately. But it is enough to finish accredited course online to be insurable and to know what to do.
Also Youtube channel Nail mastery by Tatyana will be great for you, if want to stand out and do quality job. There are plenty guys nail techs on YouTube and Instagram.

Attachments

• AddText_08-26-07.11.03.JPEG
    AddText_08-26-07.11.03.JPEG
    214.6 KB · Views: 63
  • AddText_08-25-08.06.11.JPEG
    AddText_08-25-08.06.11.JPEG
    177.9 KB · Views: 64
  • AddText_08-25-08.05.00.JPEG
    AddText_08-25-08.05.00.JPEG
    254.7 KB · Views: 61
  • AddText_08-25-08.05.34.JPEG
    AddText_08-25-08.05.34.JPEG
    418 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thank you Dolly day dreamer, I’m glad I’m not alone.
How long after the courses do you think you’ll be doing people’s nails?
Im not sure. Im currently on maternity leave so im lucky that ive got another 8 months before I needed to go back to work so was going to use that time to practice ALOT before going out into the big scary world!

I have my sister coming this week so that I can spend an hour or two just polishing her nails over and over to try and get a technique. I really want to be perfect with my polishing! The same as my hubby, ive talked him into letting me use his hands this weekend lol.

I do have a hand trainer but its just not the same.

I was thinking about doing treatments half price at first to clients while im still gaining confidence and building a portfolio. however this worried me a little. Say I do someone a shellac manicure for a tenner, and its of the understanding that im still a newbie etc, im worried that if I do a poor job that person will still remember that and not come back, even if they've had it cheap. Do you know what I mean? But then what else can you do!

Im not sure. Im currently on maternity leave so im lucky that ive got another 8 months before I needed to go back to work so was going to use that time to practice ALOT before going out into the big scary world!

I have my sister coming this week so that I can spend an hour or two just polishing her nails over and over to try and get a technique. I really want to be perfect with my polishing! The same as my hubby, ive talked him into letting me use his hands this weekend lol.

I do have a hand trainer but its just not the same.

I was thinking about doing treatments half price at first to clients while im still gaining confidence and building a portfolio. however this worried me a little. Say I do someone a shellac manicure for a tenner, and its of the understanding that im still a newbie etc, im worried that if I do a poor job that person will still remember that and not come back, even if they've had it cheap. Do you know what I mean? But then what else can you do!

Yea i know what you mean!! Surely all nail techs go through the same thing, and we have to start somewhere right! I’m hoping to do my training and then ask a salon if I could work for them on Saturdays without pay, to gain experience and speed etc.
Excellent that your partner and family are willing to help tho [emoji16]

It is never too late. I think that best nails done buy Russians/Ukrainians, with actual deep manicure (cuticle clean up and application without 2 mm gap) and nail plate leveling. You dont need CND course. There is lady in Coventry (she is polish), she teaches russian manicure. I live in Desborough and I can also show you what to do. My works are attached. I went to Riga for nail course. Courses in Uk are very behind unfortunately. But it is enough to finish accredited course online to be insurable and to know what to do.
Also Youtube channel Nail mastery by Tatyana will be great for you, if want to stand out and do quality job. There are plenty guys nail techs on YouTube and Instagram.

Those nails are lovely! As I said before I’m a complete newbie so I’m not to sure on differences between Russian etc. I looked at CND because they are so well recognised & respected in the industry. I’d hope that would help me to secure work in salons etc. I’ll take a look at Riga tho, there’s so many decisions to be made. I’d love to see what you do sometime as any help is much appreciated and thank you for offering your support.

What about starting with VTCT mani and pedi course. They should be available locally and are nationally recognised. Then you can add other courses in different systems without being tied into one supplier or insurer?

What about starting with VTCT mani and pedi course. They should be available locally and are nationally recognised. Then you can add other courses in different systems without being tied into one supplier or insurer?

I didn’t realise I’d be tied into one insurer. I have seen that a lot of the courses give you a percentage off your insurance, I thought that I could take my qualification to a insurance company I choose?

Yea i know what you mean!! Surely all nail techs go through the same thing, and we have to start somewhere right! I’m hoping to do my training and then ask a salon if I could work for them on Saturdays without pay, to gain experience and speed etc.
Excellent that your partner and family are willing to help tho [emoji16]
Thats a great idea, ive thought about getting a Saturday job myself. The salon where I go to has someone who just tends to apply the tips so not sure if they are working her up to the next bits.... gosh the though of doing it and having clients come to me makes my stomach drop lol but have to get on with it.

What profession are you in now? X

Thats a great idea, ive thought about getting a Saturday job myself. The salon where I go to has someone who just tends to apply the tips so not sure if they are working her up to the next bits.... gosh the though of doing it and having clients come to me makes my stomach drop lol but have to get on with it.

What profession are you in now? X

Lol I know, the thought of messing up someone’s nails is worst!! I suppose if it happened in salon there’s other staff to sort out any problems, and give advice if your getting a bit stressed.

Currently I work on a car production line so it will be a complete career change for me.

Lol I know, the thought of messing up someone’s nails is worst!! I suppose if it happened in salon there’s other staff to sort out any problems, and give advice if your getting a bit stressed.

Currently I work on a car production line so it will be a complete career change for me.
Thats true, or if you lose your nerve someone can step in with some guidance. Its an idea that I may consider actually.

I worked in the same office with mostly the same people for 12 years so also completely different for me as well. Im not used to dealing with the public so to speak so that also makes me a little anxious!

Those nails are lovely! As I said before I’m a complete newbie so I’m not to sure on differences between Russian etc. I looked at CND because they are so well recognised & respected in the industry. I’d hope that would help me to secure work in salons etc. I’ll take a look at Riga tho, there’s so many decisions to be made. I’d love to see what you do sometime as any help is much appreciated and thank you for offering your support.
Im at home on sick (problem with back), so can do any day and time. Just let me know, my Instagram @czerwien_nails.
Link for manicure course https://www.petitenails.co.uk/. They also have Instagram. Best of luck.

Hi Joey. As you can see I'm a guy also. Don't let your age or gender put you off, its very different today. I was very lucky to do a full VTCT Artificial Nail Structures course at my local college whilst I was doing the Beauty Course. I feel that it covered everything from Acrylic, UV Gel and Fibreglas (Silk). So you actually qualify in all systems. You will however gravitate to one system in particular. I did and it was Acrylic. I just prefered them to any of the others. Also if you do a course at your local college they don't bombard you with one particular product. So you may well get experience in different ones. You will with experience be able to pick the systems and products that suit you and your clients. You just need to do it. Good luck Nicky

Hi Joey. As you can see I'm a guy also. Don't let your age or gender put you off, its very different today. I was very lucky to do a full VTCT Artificial Nail Structures course at my local college whilst I was doing the Beauty Course. I feel that it covered everything from Acrylic, UV Gel and Fibreglas (Silk). So you actually qualify in all systems. You will however gravitate to one system in particular. I did and it was Acrylic. I just prefered them to any of the others. Also if you do a course at your local college they don't bombard you with one particular product. So you may well get experience in different ones. You will with experience be able to pick the systems and products that suit you and your clients. You just need to do it. Good luck Nicky

Thanks Nicky

I didn’t realise I’d be tied into one insurer. I have seen that a lot of the courses give you a percentage off your insurance, I thought that I could take my qualification to a insurance company I choose?

You are not tied to one insurance company with proper recognised qualifications. I trained with CND about 15 years ago, part ofvthe package was student, then pro insurance. I've since moved insurers a couple of times based on cost savings, etc.

Be aware that a 'certificate of completion' is very different to a 'certificate of qualification'.

There are several posts on here about reputable insurance companys such as Salon Gold, etc. Do your research as always. Check with the insurer that the company you are contemplating using is one of their approved training suppliers. Many have completed a course only to find no one will insure them as it wasn't a recognised company.

Hi there,
VTCT training gets my vote. That is If you can find a local college.
Good luck to you

Hi there,
VTCT training gets my vote. That is If you can find a local college.
Good luck to you

Yea that’s not as easy as you’d think it would be lol

Latest posts

Back