Guy wanting to become a nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,

I personally have never seen the company in question you have put the link up for. However they do have the guild logo on there website so that's a good start.
Take a look on the guild website and they will be a list of company's they recommend etc to do courses with.
There is also another company who you can learn with from home essential nails. I have not learnt with these, but many nail geeks on here have and really rate them.
You need to make sure whoever you train with the qualifaction's you receive at the end you will be able to gain insurance.
If you search on here there are plenty of people who have trained with different company's etc. NSI, CND, Nail Harmony, The Edge, Cuccico there are lots to chose from.

Good luck with who ever you chose, and I would love to have my nails done by a gentleman in a salon.

Welcome to the world of becoming a nail geek ;) xx

Definitely go for it Steve, I wouldn't bat an eyelid if my tech was a man - as long as the job he did was a good one. In fact it was almost sure my confidence in a funny sort of way as my first thought might be 'in a female dominates industry to be in this profession, he must be good!'. Just a thought.

I never thought of it that way! Also, I suppose that because of the barriers, even if they are self-imposed (and judging from all the positive responses in this thread my worries are, well, nothing to worry about), it will push me to try as hard as I possibly can to be the best that I possibly can. Turn any negativity I may face as a man in this industry to my advantage and just use it as a desire to succeed.

I hope no one takes that the wrong way, as I'm sure you all strive to be the best that you can be also!

Your recommendation for CND is duly noted by the way! Another company for me to research. I really do want to ensure that I get the best training possible, which is another reason why I value all the comments that I've received so far.

To everyone who has said that they wouldn't mind, or even would love eto have their nails done by a man, thank you - it is inspiring and really is giving me lots of confidence.

Go for it Steve! If its something that your passionate about & interested it, don't let anything stop u!

In the nail industry there are lots of very talented nail technicians.
Don't worry about what people say, it's their opinion, which they have a right to say. But they ain't living your life and know nothing about u!

Your training course doesn't seem right. 2 days training in acrylic doesn't seem right.

I've trained with NSI at college, moved into EzFlow & Essential nails.
I'm booked on CND for shellac then doing a conversion to acrylics & gels with them.

Nubar, Youngs nails, EzFlow, Sweet squared are all good.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do!! Show them what u got!! 😃

Welcome to Salon geek! I was in house of Fraser today and walked past the nails inc nail bar and there was a male tech working on a client. No one was batting an eyelid. We have some fantastic geeks on here that are male so hopefully they'll pop up with some advice speaking from experience for you too.

When it comes to deciding your training remember, buy cheap buy twice. I would strongly recommend doing a very in depth course that covers all areas with one of the companies already mentioned. Sometimes cost can be a factor i know, but when you consider the education you are getting not to mention the value of products you'll receive in a kit, it really does pay to pay! Even if it means saving up for a bit it really will be worth it. Will good education you'll not only get good training from the start but good products and also back up from the company way into the future.

Go for it and good luck!

Hi Steve

I trained at South Trafford College. They were excellent, very picky and hard on you, but you need that. I started with manicure and pedicure and then went on to do nail enhancements. The classes were once a week but you were expected to complete several sets of nails as homework, on tips and humans, which you were assessed on. You could also try NSI which have a training school in Salford, not too far away for you.

You should defo do it! When I was at college I had a man in my class and he was one of the best and everyone loved him! Also my fiancé likes to mess about with my nail kit when he's bored and does some fantastic nail art! As long as you are happy and doing your best you'll get there :) x

Do it Steve!

Go in for your education knowing that your first set of education certainly wouldnt be the last, nail education is an ongoing thing and you never know what areas you personally could do with a one to one booking where you tackle any areas you may struggle with head on.

Good luck, I hope you will keep us all posted on your journey, maybe write a blog here or some thing? :)

Mobile Manicure, I will check out South Trafford College. It's not far at all from where I live, and I like that they push you hard. I agree, this is definitely needed and welcome!

I will of course keep you all posted, and let you know which course I end up doing. After doing some more research (based on the advice I've been offered in this thread), I would imagine that I will be starting a course in the next month or so, or at the latest just after new year, so I will update you as and when. Writing a blog sounds like a good idea Rachel :) There must be a way around me not having to have my own nails done, using a model instead for my student partner to practice on instead of her having to practice on me.

But my main concern, in regards to how a guy would be received in this industry has been more than reduced, if not wiped out completely because of the replies I've had to this post. And I thank you all for that.

Have a great weekend everybody, and chat with you soon :)

x

Just wanted to say Hello Steve, and give you the link to the CND academy in Manchester.

http://www.creativeacademymanchester.co.uk/education_14-05-2012.pdf

Please feel free to call or pop by to meet the team of CND ambassadors here.
If you are free this Tues 6th Nov, you are more than welcome to pop in and meet our latest foundation students as they complete there CND 14day complete course, some are even geeks on here. I know they would be glad to share their experience of the training with you.
Good Luck in your career with whomever you begin your journey with.

Just wanted to say Hello Steve, and give you the link to the CND academy in Manchester.

If you are free this Tues 6th Nov, you are more than welcome to pop in and meet our latest foundation students as they complete there CND 14day complete course, some are even geeks on here. I know they would be glad to share their experience of the training with you.

What a lovely offer Julia, I hope Steve takes you up on it, it could be the start of something amazing!

Good luck Steve.

Hi Julia

I would love to take you up on this. I am free on Tuesday, so please let me know when the best time to come down would be. I will check out your link and get all the directions to get there from the site.

Thanks for this Julia. I really appreciate it.

Hi Julia

I would love to take you up on this. I am free on Tuesday, so please let me know when the best time to come down would be. I will check out your link and get all the directions to get there from the site.

Thanks for this Julia. I really appreciate it.

Best time Steve would be around 2 or 3pm.

Do tel if you have difficulty finding us 0845 2000 311.

Look forward to seeing you Tues. From memory we have geeks curvy girl and dream nails on this particular course.

See you Tues.

Best time Steve would be around 2 or 3pm.

Do tel if you have difficulty finding us 0845 2000 311.

Look forward to seeing you Tues. From memory we have geeks curvy girl and dream nails on this particular course.

See you Tues.

Tuesday at 2pm it is! Thank you Julia. And have a great weekend

Hi Steve, you are in the very best hands with Julia and the team in Manchester. I did much of my training with them and went on to be an educator for CND myself... Sky's the limit when you get with the right people, right time and right brand!!! Best of luck!!! Wish u lived in iom. Would snap u up!

Hi Steve

I do not really have anything different to add in terms of training etc, all has been covered by the other lovely geeks on here but I just want to say that your gender would not put me off becoming a client. In fact I think it would be quite refreshing!

In addition to this after reading your posts and replies to people on here, I can tell that you are a really nice genuine guy, this will come across with your clients and potential clients and once you are established I am sure you will thrive. The fact that you are even on here asking for advice prior to jumping in tells me that you want to do things properly and this is the perfect recipe for success.

I sincerely wish you the VERY best of luck, you have my warmest welcome to our much loved industry should you decide to go ahead (which i defo think you should) x

I wouldn't have a problem with a guy doing my nails or working in my salon!

If I were you I would not pay the deposit on that training class you first mention!!
If you want a good reputation you need to do good nails!! People aren't going to come back if you don't know what your doing and the nails aren't nice :(

Your education is the foundation to your business!!! Don't cut corners it's really not worth your reputation!! Just so you know what is about average price for a good education you need to add another zero to the price of that first course you mentioned!! Hmm maybe seen like a lot but in the long run it not actually to bad to say it sets you up ready to work, unlike the 2/3 day courses were your no were near ready to work and then you pick up bad habits!!

Julia and the girls at Manchester are amazingggg!!! And your lucky to have them near you!! I would have a good chat with them about what you want to do and they will be more than happy to start you off with your journey into the nail industry!!!

Good luck :)

We have some fantastic geeks on here that are male so hopefully they'll pop up with some advice speaking from experience for you too.
!
I do believe we've already had some fab advice from a male nail geek on the first page :)

See its all geeks who love nails, who cares what gender is behind that brush ;)

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to add that I started out in this industry doing a one-day nail course, and ended with me owning my own salon! The course was obviously shockingly bad, but it gave me an idea of whether or not it was something I wanted to pursue.

If you are in two minds (although it seems you have already decided!), try a very short course but bear in mind you will need to do a "proper" course with one of the above-mentioned companies. Yes, this will cost you more, but may give you a short taster iykwim.

If you have definately decided you want to train, dont waste the money - just go straight for a "proper" course.

ps - most of my hairdressers have been men, so I certainly would not care what sex my nail tech was, as long as they were professional and gave an excellent service xxxx

Good luck, and welcome to the site xxx

Good luck Steve! Your post has inspired me- go for it!!! X

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

Hi Steve. Not read all the replies but I'm a guy and never looked back. Had the same doubts as you but never looked back. Not blowing my own trumpet but clients love that I'm a guy. They say they prefer it! I'm constantly busy throughout the year and have really good relationships with my clients. As for training if you want the best CND all the way! Best marketing, training and products. More expensive but as in everything you get what you pay for!!!

Latest posts

Back