Guy wanting to become a nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd actually prefer to have my nails done by a guy. Find them easier to talk to lol.

I do believe we've already had some fab advice from a male nail geek on the first page :)

Oh god yes sorry nailzoo/Carl!! My bad I don't notice :o

Hi Steve and welcome to our wonderful Salon Geek:)

First up I have to say....one of our very own male members who responded to your thread is Nailzoo.
Nailzoo (Carl) is pretty much the top male tech here in Australia and if you go on to You Tube and type in Nailzoo, you will see his awesome talent.
This is just my opinion but being a male in the industry might be a teeny weeny bit harder to begin with but if you set yourself apart with something special, then you will end up with a full book of clients.
Take Nailzoo for instance, (again this is just my own opinion from what I have seen) Carl sets himself apart from the norm by offering kick a** natural looking enhancements, he actually uses the true meaning of the word enhancement and he enhances the nail and the enhancements he does, look very very natural. To me, this is what sets him apart and what he is known for (amongst many other things of high accomplishment).

The only other thing I think you need to have that is a bit different from most men, is good listening skills, cause us girls love to talk the ears of beauty therapists:)
They always say that us beauty therapists/techs are like therapy sessions cause the clients can tell you all their secrets and problems and we must listen (and work at the same time).

Please please please, do not book into this 2 day course, you WILL regret it. You only have to do a search here in SG and you will find many many threads where a member has done a "quickie" course and at the end of the course, they find they know next to nothing and no where near enough to make a living out of this industry.

If you offer top notch training, top notch products to your clients, then this will put you ahead of many other techs and help your fears of being a male in a female industry.
I know how you feel by the way, I am an ex funeral director and then went on to study Embalming and I was the first female to ever work in this industry in my area and the first female to go through my embalming course and it was scary at first but I was welcomed with open arms and all was good.

Glad to have you here at SG and I can see with how you write your posts that you are a lovely guy and if you want something to happen, you will make it happen for you and I believe the dream of becoming a successful nail tech is well with in your reach.

Good luck and yes, we would all love to hear updates as you are going along your journey. You just have to add to this thread as the updates occur and it will pop up to the front page again and it's all kept in the one thread for all to read.

Afternoon everyone. :)

Lucious, thanks for posting, it's inspiring to hear everyone address my concerns and put them to rest, but it also means a great deal to hear from another guy working in the industry (sorry Nailzoo, I didn't realise you were a guy also when I read your post yesterday). Especially hitting a chord with me is your comments about building up a client base and having a really good relationship with them. Of course, being able to do a great job on nails is an absolute must, but it is undoubtedly important to actually get on well with clients, as I do believe this will make it more likely that they do remain regular clients. These two aspects, in my limited understanding of the industry as a complete novice, do go hand in hand I believe.

As you all know from reading this thread, I'm meeting with Julia on Tuesday, and I'm really looking forward to it. Because their course costs more, it may well be that I will have to wait a few months in order to save up, but I'll discuss that with Julia on Tuesday in more depth.

And thank you Nicolee - I didn't realise that I had inspired anyone with my posts - on the contrary it's you lot who are inspiring me! Wooshka, I don't want to blow my own trumpet or anything, but I do like to think I have rather good listening skills - I actually really enjoy people talking the ears off me! It's another reason why I want to do something else other than my current business. I work from home and because it's predominantly website/email based, it often results in many working days where I don't actually chat with anyone. That's a major downside for me of the work that I currently do.

Afternoon everyone. :)

Lucious, thanks for posting, it's inspiring to hear everyone address my concerns and put them to rest, but it also means a great deal to hear from another guy working in the industry (sorry Nailzoo, I didn't realise you were a guy also when I read your post yesterday). Especially hitting a chord with me is your comments about building up a client base and having a really good relationship with them. Of course, being able to do a great job on nails is an absolute must, but it is undoubtedly important to actually get on well with clients, as I do believe this will make it more likely that they do remain regular clients. These two aspects, in my limited understanding of the industry as a complete novice, do go hand in hand I believe.

As you all know from reading this thread, I'm meeting with Julia on Tuesday, and I'm really looking forward to it. Because their course costs more, it may well be that I will have to wait a few months in order to save up, but I'll discuss that with Julia on Tuesday in more depth.

And thank you Nicolee - I didn't realise that I had inspired anyone with my posts - on the contrary it's you lot who are inspiring me! Wooshka, I don't want to blow my own trumpet or anything, but I do like to think I have rather good listening skills - I actually really enjoy people talking the ears off me! It's another reason why I want to do something else other than my current business. I work from home and because it's predominantly website/email based, it often results in many working days where I don't actually chat with anyone. That's a major downside for me of the work that I currently do.

Just wanted to say after reading it all that i think you have a great attitude and seem very confident and i believe those qualities will take u where you want to be :) good luck with everything im sure u will do great :D x

Been reading this thread from yesterday. I think all the other geeks gave all their best answers and thoughts. So good luck for you. I wish everyone in this industry had your attitude to be best or good, then we wouldn't here those horrific stories.

Think the others have covered most of it but wanted to add I was trained by a male tech. The one and only ketan patel (who has now retired which I am happy for him but sad for me ha) have to say I was amazed and he is an amazing nail tech.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

By the way we have a male nail tech here, who works for one of the BEST salons. I think it says a lot, hope it inspires you :)

Firstly Hi and welcome to Salon Geek :) This forum is an incredible resource and best of all its free, so I hope you enjoy it and it helps you along your journey.

So firstly I would get myself some tea or coffee on tap and really explore this site and have a good read. I personally have learnt more from the amazing people on here than I ever did in my training years ago. There is a search function at the top of the nail geek page, type in your search words there, i. e. Training courses and a heap of old threads will come up. The search tool is invaluable!!

I think you wanting to take this path is a great idea, my husband is very creative and I have often tried persuade him to train with no success as yet :wink2:

So I wish you the very best of luck on this new and very exciting journey. Oh and CND are the bomb, a very well recognised company and every penny spent is totally worth it.

Have fun :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi steve id say go for it .It is nice to see some diversity in this industry and too be fair i am dieing to see more male nail techs at least it gives us ladies some hard decent compettion :lol:
However the acrylic course you are about to take up will not help you ..It will never cover half of what you need as a good start and grounding. I would go to college and take up some decent but basic and highly important steps then do some short courses after ..Better still if you can find a course with a particular brand that will give you basics right through to intermidate and pro then brill .:lol:
But whatever you do not do a 2day course till you have learnt the important basics first ..I will brief you that you have a long way to go at times it will feel like a never ending preperation to business with all details that are needed but you will be fine good luck:wink2:

Hi Steve is it Julia at the Manchester CND academy. If so brilliant you can't get better. I'm on day 14 of my complete course there on Tuesday. :)
Vicki x

Hi Vicki

Sounds like you are loving the course. Will you be around Tuesday around 2pm? Would be great to have a chat and hear about the course face to face with someone doing it. I'm really looking forward to meeting Julia also, and really appreciate her offer for me to come down on Tuesday.

Oh, I should say, based on the advice of many of you in this thread, I have decided against doing the two-day course. I didn't pay a deposit, and although the trainer who runs that course seems like a lovely lady (and she was disappointed with my decision not to go ahead with her), I have to look after my own interests first and take the best available option in order to not only start, but to progress my career.

Oh, I should say, based on the advice of many of you in this thread, I have decided against doing the two-day course. I didn't pay a deposit, and although the trainer who runs that course seems like a lovely lady (and she was disappointed with my decision not to go ahead with her), I have to look after my own interests first and take the best available option in order to not only start, but to progress my career.

You just made the first wise decision in starting your career:)
Who cares if she's disappointed, she'll fill your spot with someone who thinks "doing nails" is easy and thinks that they will be fully qualified after 2 days and ready to "work":rolleyes:

Great choice Steve and you will reap the rewards for it in years to come.

Nothing much more to add, other than I have been in the industry over ten years and have only just begun my path with CND and Sweet Squared starting with Shellac but over the next few months I will be rebranding all of my systems to CND as their ethos and training is second to non! I would also like to wish you the very best of luck on your new career path and say I too would have no problem with a guy doing my nails as long as he was well trained

Hiya everyone.

An update. I went to Creative Academy Manchester on Tuesday and met with Julia and Sarah there, who were so welcoming and supportive, and gave me a lot of confidence in pursuing a career in this industry. I also met the girls currently undertaking the CND course, and while I didn't really get much opportunity to talk in depth with them about the course, what was apparent straight away was the enthusiasm they are expressed in regards to the course. I've decided - this course is definitely the one I want to undertake, and so I am saving up over the Christmas period so that I can sign up and start my training come the new year.

So I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone here who recommended this course to me. Also I want to thank everyone who said that I shouldn't undertake the 2 day course that I had originally planned to do. And also I want to thank everyone for your support and encouragement that you have given me in regards to pursuing my training in this industry.

I've booked an appointment at a salon near where I live for next Tuesday, so that I can experience first hand nail techs at work. I know I can watch instructive videos on YouTube, but I do feel that actually being there and thus able to ask questions face to face will prove invaluable and give me a great insight into the practical nature of the industry. Will give you all an update to let you know my experience next Tuesday.

Needless to say, I feel really excited about this, and having been told by Julia and Sarah at Creative Academy Manchester that me being a guy is really no obstacle in being able to forge a successful career in the industry, this just gives me so much confidence.

Steve
x

Hiya everyone.

An update. I went to Creative Academy Manchester on Tuesday and met with Julia and Sarah there, who were so welcoming and supportive, and gave me a lot of confidence in pursuing a career in this industry. I also met the girls currently undertaking the CND course, and while I didn't really get much opportunity to talk in depth with them about the course, what was apparent straight away was the enthusiasm they are expressed in regards to the course. I've decided - this course is definitely the one I want to undertake, and so I am saving up over the Christmas period so that I can sign up and start my training come the new year.

So I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone here who recommended this course to me. Also I want to thank everyone who said that I shouldn't undertake the 2 day course that I had originally planned to do. And also I want to thank everyone for your support and encouragement that you have given me in regards to pursuing my training in this industry.

I've booked an appointment at a salon near where I live for next Tuesday, so that I can experience first hand nail techs at work. I know I can watch instructive videos on YouTube, but I do feel that actually being there and thus able to ask questions face to face will prove invaluable and give me a great insight into the practical nature of the industry. Will give you all an update to let you know my experience next Tuesday.

Needless to say, I feel really excited about this, and having been told by Julia and Sarah at Creative Academy Manchester that me being a guy is really no obstacle in being able to forge a successful career in the industry, this just gives me so much confidence.

Steve
x

Great news, Steve. And smart decision. You could not have made a better one IMHO. :hug:

Thanks Geeg. You know when something just feels right? That's exactly how I feel about the CND course at Creative Academy!

Thanks Geeg. You know when something just feels right? That's exactly how I feel about the CND course at Creative Academy!

Hi Steve, just wanted to say hi, sorry didn't get a chance to talk to you properly on tuesday - I was sat next to Vicki (being a stress-head due to the theory exam) when you walked in the room with Julia.

you looked like you thoroughly enjoyed Sarah's little treat - she's a fabulous educator, as is Alison.

CND are a global leader in this industry. I am proud to say (now that I am a fully qualified CND professional) that I am a part of the CND family.

the girls at Creative Manchester will give you support throughout your CND Complete course and beyond.. way beyond.

I started 'doing nails' at the end of May this year.

and now? nails are who/what I am. I have a passion for it like no other.

my website:http://www.darlingdigits.com/

i'm sure our paths will cross again..see you at the Academy!! xxx

Hiya everyone.

Steve
x

Glad we helped point you in the right direction (and all those thank you's!! - If I ever need an Oscar speech written I know where to come lol) Are you booked to get your own nails done on Tuesday then?

Latest posts

Back