Had to cancel day’s work 3 days in advance, client’s mum livid with me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautiqueSpa

Reaction score
I am currently having some works done on my treatment rooms to create 2 rooms out of 1 large one. The work is nearly finished but I am pretty sure it will run into next weeks bookings which start on Wednesday so today I messaged all my Wednesday customers to give them a heads up that I may need to cancel the appointments due to works carrying over into next week. I didn't want to risk leaving it to the day before to give people enough time to make other plans in case the works do run over, I really think they will but a miracle may happen. Everyone of my customers was fine with it except one lady who had booked a Groupon pamper package for herself and her wife. A Christmas present from her Mum. I have just received an angry message from the Mum saying how disgusting I am to cancel at such short notice, 3 days, and that it's her daughters wife's birthday and she can't believe I run my business like this and that I've ruined her daughters wife's birthday, that they have an 8 week old baby and the day was such an important day for them. Told me to enjoy my Sunday Roast (weird) and told me not to spare a thought for the people who keep me in business!

Now I have already replied politely to the Mum to say that unfortunately the work over running is out of my hands, it's a wonky flooring issue and my building is listed and that I informed them as soon as the issue came up. Explained I would offer them a refund but it's a Groupon booking so nothing I can do except offer them a future appointment which obviously isn't ideal given all the circumstances regarding child care, booking time off work, which I'm pretty sure they'd have done anyway as it's her 30th Birthday, but I just wanted to put this on here to see if I am out of touch with being a irked by the Mums nasty message on this one. She's said she'll complain to Groupon 'instructing' them to terminate my contract immediately and will be leaving me reviews online.

Then received a further email telling me to not be so condescending by apologising for the disappointment as I have no idea! What the hell lady, it's a facial and head/neck massage not a triple heart bypass! I wish my problems were only a facial cancellation and not a floor issue that's now gonna cost me over a grand to fix!

Last edited:
I’d bar them from my salon.... i always found it was the cheap ppl that were the most demanding. I don’t do offers now....so if it was me, they could run and jump and so could groupon xxxxx

Massive overreaction, things happen that are beyond our control, you were very accommodating and polite. Take no notice, I doubt Groupon will do anything for her either. She's being ridiculous.

Nah Groupon won't do anything about them. I have a great relationship with my Groupon contact. Just I'm new so was wondering whether my 3 days notice was a bit short in relation to what others have had to do in the past. I've had to cancel on the day before after waking up with runny nose colds but never had anyone get nasty over that lol. I think this woman must have issues or they're going through something at the moment. I won't take it personally.

Thanks for the reassurance, it's appreciated xx

What a nasty piece of work and the type of client non of us needs nor deserves. You have kept your cool and she has sent a ridiculous email that we can only say is totally pathetic.
Poor you, but don't let her get to you.
We do have to cancel on occasion, we are most of us self employed anyway so it comes with the job actually.
She is just spoilt , selfish and egoccentric..............there are a lot of them about and you my friend were unlucky to have to deal with her outburst.
My electricity is off on Tuesday (9-5) OMG ! There are several trees being felled on my road to prevent cables coming down in the future ,and I have had to cancel 5 clients. They have been very understanding, even though I have given them only the 4 days notice that I have had myself.
I haven't had to suffer any ear bashing from any of them thankfully.
I was going to say , not that she deserves your time , but could you do that teatment as a home visit ? Have you a portable couch ? I have done things occasionally if needed ...just to keep the peace. not that she deserves it. You will get your money and she will not need a further appointment with you.
Good luck and Take care x

Groupon customers are the worse. I stopped my self employed therapist using them.

Groupon customers are the worse. I stopped my self employed therapist using them.
You do realise that you can’t tell your S/E therapist how to run her business, don’t you?
Obviously, you can point out the pitfalls and strongly suggest things but you can’t actually impose your will on her, although I completely understand your feelings towards companies like that.

You do realise that you can’t tell your S/E therapist how to run her business, don’t you?
Obviously, you can point out the pitfalls and strongly suggest things but you can’t actually impose your will on her, although I completely understand your feelings towards companies like that.

I do realise that but I won’t have them in my salon. If they want groupon they can buy their own shop. I had one accuse my beautician of being racist because she wanted £60 lashes after paying groupon £30 [emoji24][emoji24] she threatened to leave bad reviews on MY salon google page .

I had to cancel loads due to abnormal smear test result and was called into hospital. Everyone was very understanding. Oh boy did i get one client telling me it was vital she had to have her appointment!! my s/e therapist were not gonna be in that day and i needed to rearrange within the week. Client still ranted at me, i expressed i was sorry but i would give her a goodwill gesture, she was still mad! I make a terms of business which state for any reason we might have to cancel do to illness etc- just to protect myself for future bs. what can you do eh?!

Just a note for anyone getting threatened with any bad reviews/blackmail if treatment is not carried out is called "malicious communications" which you can use as a log or file a police report on. xoxo

Thank you all and thanks wonderwoman for the knowledge about malicious communications. Not heard from her again, thank God. Lucky escape methinks.

Latest posts

Back