Had to wear a dust mask today at college they are horible

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzandbeauty

Reaction score
Hi iv been having alot of problems with my skin and now i have a very bad chest infection.Anyway im on steroids/anitibiotics from the dr for it.I decided to buy some dust mask as i had a college last night and dint want to miss it evan tho i felt awfull :cry:as the coarse ends in 2/3 time so its not the time to be having off sick.Anyway i got my mask and felt very stupid really but the girls in class are great and understand why.But 5 minutes into the lesson it was making me sweat under the mask which i thought was awfull,my top lip was wet through i kept taking it down to wipe my lip.Does anyone else have to use these and do you sweat on ya lip aswell please,just thought id ask or is it me?

Thanks x

I actually wear them all the time aswell as gloves. I never take any chances when it comes to my health. The place where i work i rent a part of a salon where there are manicure tables without dust suction. If i do a few customers a day the dust is everywhere. I can,t imagine sitting there so close to someones nails with dustfilings flying upwards, i would inhale all of that. Before i didn,t wear any gloves my skin on my hands and forearms was really dry and started to itch every evening so i panicked and started with gloves aswell. I don,t have any problems now so i don,t mind wearing them.
The dustmasks are sometimes warm but i never actually sweat in there...but then again i live in Sweden => mostley cold here :green:

I have only heared customers talk possitive about it and never get any strange reactions.

Saying that my hands are really itchy now come to think of it and i always use cream etc,but saying that im itchy on my hands,face n neck as i have sensitive skin. The room we was in for college as no ventalation and there is about 10 girls in there all buffing/blending so not good really but got about 2/3 weeks left then im done. So with no air in there it was quit stuffy n hot in the room to start with unlessn it was me,but the girls asked for the fan on so must have been.Thanks for replying x

Saying that my hands are really itchy now come to think of it and i always use cream etc,but saying that im itchy on my hands,face n neck as i have sensitive skin. The room we was in for college as no ventalation and there is about 10 girls in there all buffing/blending so not good really but got about 2/3 weeks left then im done. So with no air in there it was quit stuffy n hot in the room to start with unlessn it was me,but the girls asked for the fan on so must have been.Thanks for replying x

No problem,

Maybe you got warm from focusing so intensively on your job :wink2: But indeed with 10 girls in a room...no ventilation...:rolleyes: can,t be any good.
I heard some other nailtechnicians talk about getting allergic to the products and i got scared hearing it since i love doing nails. I am carefull never to get product on the skin of my customer or me but all the dust caused problems for me aswell. Maybe i am on the sensitive side aswell..wel....better to be safe then sorry :green: even though i sometimes look like i am going to perform surgery with the mask and gloves :lol:

I invested in my health a long time ago by purchasing good ventilation systems to extract any dust immediately as I make it.

ALL manufacturers advise technicians to have extraction ventilation and it really is silly in my opinion to ignore a manufacturer's advice.

I have never worn a mask or used gloves BUT I have perfected the techniques to make sure I create very little dust and I never get product on my hands and wash frequently in any case.

I would rather work smart to protect myself than wear masks and gloves which I personally would find very restricting and uncomfortable ... Plus I do not like how it looks to clients.

I do wash my hands quite alot i thinks its the dust thats irritating them,i think it is due to the college not having good ventalation.With about 10 girls all in there blending etc it must be loads flying about. I do work smart but last night i had to wear it as i wasnt having any more dust breathed in from all the class. I felt i was going to perform an operation and was glad at the end to take it off beleive me. I dont really have a problem at home when i practice on freinds its just really college thats doing it the most.But i am going to buy a dust extraction anyway.thanks for replys x

Unfortunately there are many colleges who's facilities are driven by budget - so they don't have ventilation and don't practice good hygiene routines.

There are a few types of masks that you can wear - the 'cone' ones are likely to cause most heat build up compared to the type used by doctors/dentists etc.

Another good way to reduce dust is to use impregnated wipes on a frequent basis - at least in between clients. This will remove the dust and trap it in the wipe which can then be placed in a bin.

If your hands are itching and you are washing your hands regularly, perhaps you should look at the product you are using. For regular hand wash you're best using a product that has skin conditioners or your hands will start to dry up.

I did wear a cone one as it was the only one they had in my town where i live not very good for shops its all seaside rock etc. The college is up on hygene so thats ok but they dont have anything for us nail tech,s to learn right i.e vent/tables etc.The teachers have treid and our last 2 teachers have been great to try and help us.Thanks for the replys x

The problem is that i work in another salon where i am very restricted in what i do. All the furniture and everything is hers and she doesn,t want me to change things. I am planning on moving from there to rent my own place and then i will get one of those dust absorbers.

I read Nail structure & product chemistry by douglas d. schoon and i read => "nothing you can buy will do a better job of protecting your lungs than a simple dust mask"
So the first thing i did was buying them and wearing them...just because i read it

As to filings i do manage to get it on my arms and hands since nothing sucks the dust down...this will change in the future when i get one of those dust absorbers

Latest posts

Back