Hair BBC3

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was slightly mortified watching this programme. I hope they stick to styling braiding etc rather than cutting and any other processes!---almost a liability. Some great creativity - we all started somewhere!

However i was too busy swooning over steve jones....hubba hubba! xoxo

agreed- some great creativity - loved the snow queen! But as for the first challenge- why did none of them think to measure their work to ensure they had met the brief?! beyond me! And what do they win? the chance to be a hairdresser/train etc at the end? Otherwise what are they promoting? how you dont need to bother with qualifications? Its confusing! And what if the girl whos a nurse does win - and doesnt want to give up the career shes spent years at medical school for for the chance to train? ( if that even is the prize? ) crazy stuff but entertaining watching - wont be suprised if i throw my pin tail at the tv next time tho!

I thought the program was just about people who do their every day jobs but just have a passion for doing hair - like a hobby they enjoy. They're not suppose to be great hair cutters or produce amazing colour. They experiment with family and friends hair cause they just like to have a go and obviously have an interest in it. So as for saying you wouldn't want them to colour or cut your hair well they don't claim to be qualified in those areas. They just have ideas and want to express themselves - nothing to do with making it look like hairdressing isn't serious or worth training for but hair is fun, qualified or not.

I get that they are creative which is fine for hair ups/avent garde, but the public will be thinking why am I paying my hairdresser for hair cuts when my neighbourhood, friend or sister could be doing it! Steve Jones eye candy helps! Looks like they are doing layers and colour next week, I hope they all feck it lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I dont think it will affect those who are qualified.

They are talented and I hope they do well. Qualifications dont make anyone - they are just letters on paper to say you can do something at exam standard.

Its a constant learning curve and these people have done it off their own back and have been chosen out of hundreds as they have raw talent.

It takes bottle to do that. Good on them

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

What I don't get is they judged on one length cuts that they haven't any experience of ? And the French guy not sure bout him lol x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive popped over to this forum, hoping there was a thread about the hair programme. I was watching it last night, but didnt get to see it all. Im not a hairdresser at all, but I throughly enjoyed the programme and I want to watch the rest of it, although your threads have put me off a bit. It just makes good telly, rather like the British Bake off.

I know a patent solicitor who says the Dragons Den programme is one she cant watch as its unreal.

I enjoyed it, they took it all seriously whereas on programs that include beauty therapy they are usually a joke.
Found it weird that they were cutting though

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't see why people are so horrified about this program?! They are a bunch of amateurs who love to do hair (what we all were before we started training!)
It's a bit of fun that's all!
I personally liked it! X

HairBy Amanda

I enjoyed it too! Hope they're only cutting & colouring dolls heads though! Lol! I couldn't put hair up like they did! X

I really enjoyed it this week! Did anyone else?:)

I'm really enjoying it, was glad that ebuni left last night, she should have gone last week in my opinion! But love the programme, for amateurs there's some unbelievable talent there:) x

I want my hair set now. Loved the hair hats and want to do them hair bows on someone now x

I think they're more talented than many many stylists ! Cutting maybe not but styling very talented, I worked with a very highly trained hairdresser and she was amazing on paper but a c**p hairdresser ! Just shows you ! You can be qualified up to your armpits but if you can't do the practical stuff then that's that !

Last edited:
I loved all the plaits, especially the feather one!

I actually thought that the programme proved beyond all doubt that cutting hair is really hard and requires training. All of them did a very poor job of cutting the dolly head. I don't think any reasonably intelligent person watching the show would think, 'Hey, my totally unqualified sister/neighbour/friend who likes doing hair up could do my cut & colour loads cheaper than a real hairdresser'. It is just a fact that hair up and styling is a totally different skill from cutting and colouring hair - most 'real' hairdressers (and by this I mean people who work in a salon cutting and colouring hair day to day) are not very good at dry styling and hair up in my experience because they don't do it very much. All but one of the hair stylists (and by that I mean stylists who style hair for a photo shoot, wedding etc) I have come across in real life have not in fact been qualified hairdressers but makeup artists who have done hair-up training. I think the cutting task demonstrated very clearly that being able to do creative hair-up doesn't make you a hairdresser. It's a totally different job and different skill set.

I loved watching their hair ups, some amazing imagination,but watching them cut was painful!!

Awww that poor woman!
Catching up from Tuesdays, and just felt for that model when kobi turned round and said I'm shaving it... Her face bless her losing her lovely long locks lol

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving this show atm! Watching them trying to cut hair is cringe! Why are they getting non trained stylists to cut precision cuts? X

I watched it, and was a bit disappointed that the standard was so low, even on the hair ups. There was some truly awful, totally amateur work. The cuts were painful to watch.
We all started learning somewhere, and it grew up playing with my girls world, just like everyone else! If anything, it shows that what we do isn't as easy as it looks, especially considering the speed and accuracy that we have to work.
What I'd love to see is a pro version, showcasing the best of the best, possibly as a contrast. I for one would love to watch a truly gifted pro produce flawless hair ups.

Latest posts

Back