Hair breakage or new hair growth?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlaanzuino

Reaction score
Hi all, a friend has got lots and lots of what looks like breakage all over her head and seems to be getting worse recently. She washes her hair once a week using Tigi mainly naturally dries, hardly uses heat but uses protection when she does. Has never bleached only coloured a few times to hide small amounts of grey. Her 10 year old daughter seems to have the same problem also? Her skin has got bad recently so I’m wondering whether it could be hormonal. She always has lost a huge amount of hair but has so much hair too and I always put it down to regrowth but seems to be getting worse (see pics) any ideas?xx
5B4379D8-7C2A-4A2F-8DFB-D05FC0D05FD1.jpeg
2AC8D1BE-DB51-4772-B167-8EBCA16DAE35.jpeg

Could be alot of factors. But it.coudm be a mixture of breakage and the natural hair cycle.

It could be caused by stress as everyone is more stressed on the whole.

Changes in diets, hormones (as you said) and rapid weight loss.

Even though she mainly leaves it to naturally dry, does she tie it up damp or go to sleep with it damp as this can cause alot of breakage.

How does she tie it up, is it super tight with a bobble, maybe switch to a scrunchy or something similar which is kinder to the hair.

What pillow case does she have? Silk pillow cases are great for reducing breakage when sleeping. Does she tie it up loosely to sleep to reduce stress on the hair or does she leave it down and maybe suffer with alot of friction when asleep.

Is the shampoo she's uses still suitable for her needs?

How does she shampoo it? Is she rough? Does she roughly rub it dry with the towel or gently squeeze the excess water out? Does she also use conditioner? (Squeeze out excess water before conditoner is applied to the hair gets a stronger concentration of conditioner to seal the cuticle)

How does she brush/comb her hair. Is she rough with it and does she go roots to ends or start from the ends and gently detangles as she moves towards the roots.

What condition are her hair tools like? Is the hairdryer really old so the thermostat might not be working properly so excessively hot?

Does she look after her daughters hair with the same routine because if they have the same haircare routine etc then her daughters will be similar in condition? And it may be.mkre.down to the haircare routine than a bit hormonal change?

Sorry there's alot but these are the sort of things I would be asking clients if there was a change in their hair.

Thank you Piercednige
This is her response-
I go to bed with wet hair sometimes and I do use a tight hair bobble when it’s in a pony tail (occasionally) to keep it back but I’ve done this my entire life and never had this issue before. I’ll start using scrunches.

I go to sleep with it all down. Should I have it up to sleep? I don’t have a silk pillow but will invest. Silkme is the one recommended but it’s £80! I’d have to buy two, one for me and little one.

I’m not rough when shampooing. I rinse out all the shampoo and then condition it. I dry it gently and do squeeze the excess water out before putting it in a micro fibre hair turban.
I rarely blow dry my hair but straighten it once a week. I use a hair comb and use a tangle tease for daughter. I’ll invest in one for me too. I brush from the bottom and work up.
I guess I do have the same routine with daughters hair but I’ve never straighten it.

Should I blow dry both our hair if we wash late in the evening?

Just so strange as nothing has really changed for us and never had anything like this before. I will take everything into consideration. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

She has so much hair and looses so much which is she by I’ve always put it down to regrowth. I asked if she has noticed an increased loss recently and she said her hair has always fallen out in clumps so hard to tell if any more.
Many Thanks

This is her daughters hair. She uses blue Tigi bed head shampoo and conditioner on her and her daughter xx
9733DBC0-2B01-475F-8807-14EB9C3A27F2.jpeg
BFF157ED-0DC4-48AC-BA43-CBA4CFF21BA3.jpeg

Both of them look to have dry hair. Maybe they need a deep conditioner and a leave in too.
Look on Amazon for silk pillow cases....mine is made by Zimasilk and cost me £23 each and they have zips which keeps the pillow in place better than envelope cases. Have never paid anywhere near £80 for one!!

I have a feeling it could be the heat defence product. I’ve come across this before and when the lady stopped using it her hair was great . I know it sounds crazy but it’s true

Too much protein can also cause breakage. Check if she’s using any hair products with added protein as they should only be used occasionally.

Latest posts

Back