Hair color at home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RA07041980

Reaction score
Hi All... I'll try and make this as direct as possible.

About 6 years ago an old colorist of mine used to use Redken high lift el-mn on my level 2-3 hair and tone using 8GN and 9V. My hair was lightened enough and in excellent condition.

For the past 5 years I've been experimenting with different colorists who have all used bleach to lighten which pretty much destroyed my hair and I ended up losing all dimension. I stopped using bleach for months and grew out as much as I could and did a big chop.

Went to a new colorist who I gave my history to and requested to go back to highlight color. He did not tone it after. It looked great in the salon but now that I'm seeing it in different light, its way too warm/brassy. Lots of red/orange undertones which I dont really remember happening with my old colorist.

I'm not a stranger to at home color refreshing so I bought some Redken 8GN to tone my hair yesterday hoping the red would cancel with the green but it looks like pretty much nothing happened. I mixed a 1:1 of toner and Shades EQ Processing Solution. I used a scale so I know it was exact.

Did I do something wrong? How can I fix this awful color? Thanks!

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Unfortunately, the hair professionals using this website are not allowed give detailed technical information or colour formulas to those who are unqualified.

The best advice we can give is for you to visit a colourist for a consultation and assistance.

Hi All... I'll try and make this as direct as possible.

About 6 years ago an old colorist of mine used to use Redken high lift el-mn on my level 2-3 hair and tone using 8GN and 9V. My hair was lightened enough and in excellent condition.

For the past 5 years I've been experimenting with different colorists who have all used bleach to lighten which pretty much destroyed my hair and I ended up losing all dimension. I stopped using bleach for months and grew out as much as I could and did a big chop.

Went to a new colorist who I gave my history to and requested to go back to highlight color. He did not tone it after. It looked great in the salon but now that I'm seeing it in different light, its way too warm/brassy. Lots of red/orange undertones which I dont really remember happening with my old colorist.

I'm not a stranger to at home color refreshing so I bought some Redken 8GN to tone my hair yesterday hoping the red would cancel with the green but it looks like pretty much nothing happened. I mixed a 1:1 of toner and Shades EQ Processing Solution. I used a scale so I know it was exact.

Did I do something wrong? How can I fix this awful color? Thanks!
Return to the stylist who just did your colour and tell them you don't like how warm it is. The colour you applied hasn't helped with your colour, there's a lot of theory, training and experience involved in colour correction. This is definitely not something anyone should be attempting themselves.

Latest posts

Back