Hair color dark to blonde grey coverage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michalaurenty

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have a client, she doesn’t want to use bleach on her hair and she wants to go blonde. She is natural level 5/6 she wants to go to max level 9 what can i use on her except the bleach. She said I can’t use the bleach in her and that her grays are resistant. Can I just pop on her Wella Koleston 99/0 with 6%?

You are the professional so it’s up to you to choose how to achieve the desired target colour but IF she has got resistant hair, then you’d be lucky to lift the natural more than 2 levels using 6%.

I just want to know if it’s possible to do that she told me she doesn’t want to use bleach and no more than 6% developer. Bless her

I wouldn't recommend using tint to lighten a base 5/6 to a level 9. You will expose a lot of warmth. Also, you would need to use higher than 6% to do this.

I would use lightener and 6% and then tone depending on what result you are after.

It will come out very warm, orange basically.

I love when clients try to tell you they don’t want this and that but want it to a certain way, If they knew what they were doing they would be doing it themselves, it’s for you as a stylist to explain to them that bleach isn’t used the same as way back and most of us prefer the low and slow route for better lift better condition hair etc, I’ve found that some clients haven’t even understood what peroxide is and automatically think your bleaching their hair 🤦🏻‍♀😂

I totally get you guys! I just never tried to lift anyone with hair color only. Did it work for anyone?

I saw on another feed someone used a brand called Keune & the tint lifted tint ?

You need to educate your client.
If I was attempting this and bleach was out of the question.... Then I'd probably use 12/0 +12% to lift it and then tone it.

Thank you darling

You need to educate your client.
If I was attempting this and bleach was out of the question.... Then I'd probably use 12/0 +12% to lift it and then tone it.
How come I can never get a toner to work on hilift tint?

I totally get you guys! I just never tried to lift anyone with hair color only. Did it work for anyone?
I’m late but decided to give my 2 cents. When doing hairclor I always like to take the least compromising route to maintain the hairs integrity. In this particular case I would use 12%/40vol with highlift color 11 or 13 to get the lift but go back in with toner (ash or matte) base demicolor to tone on towel dried hair and just eyeball it

So you use 12% & highlift on white hair & it colours ?

So you use 12% & highlift on white hair & it colours ?
It will turn yellow, you cannot remove colour from grey hair because there isn’t any, so it turns yellow

I’m late but decided to give my 2 cents. When doing hairclor I always like to take the least compromising route to maintain the hairs integrity. In this particular case I would use 12%/40vol with highlift color 11 or 13 to get the lift but go back in with toner (ash or matte) base demicolor to tone on towel dried hair and just eyeball it

A developer of 12% plus tint is going to be more damaging than using bleach & 6%, because the 12% is going to blow the cuticle right open. Then you’re adding more developer when toning afterwards unless you’re using a semi to tone.

A developer of 12% plus tint is going to be more damaging than using bleach & 6%, because the 12% is going to blow the cuticle right open. Then you’re adding more developer when toning afterwards unless you’re using a semi to tone.
Ok I see that, my mistake. I know the rule of the thumb is always 6%/20 vol for grey coverage but if you add olaplex (% of grey wasn’t mentioned) and get the lift when you go back in and tone with demi or semi on towel dried hair ... on healthy hair that’s med to coarse texture all of that plays a factor and I hardly ever use 12%/40vol but sometimes I bend the rules to get the desired results and my clients have healthy hair

I love when clients try to tell you they don’t want this and that but want it to a certain way, If they knew what they were doing they would be doing it themselves, it’s for you as a stylist to explain to them that bleach isn’t used the same as way back and most of us prefer the low and slow route for better lift better condition hair etc, I’ve found that some clients haven’t even understood what peroxide is and automatically think your bleaching their hair 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
So So true!

Why not try a mix of bleach, shampoo &peroxide & keep your eye on it until it lightens enough, rinse & colour to get desired effect. This is what I was taught when I went to college.

What % white is she ?

Hey darlings! Okey, so she is a level 5/6 with 30% of white. She can’t use bleach because she gets irritation. She mentioned that her goal is level 8/9 and she doesn’t care if it goes bit warmer. She is tired of having her roots bleached every time and getting hot scalp with irritation for couple of days. She also gets irritation when developer higher than 6% is being used. Do you guys have any experiences with clients that are darker and you lift them without high lift or bleach to level 8/9 and what colors do you use/recommend. I work on KP and Illumina. I was thinking to throw on her 7/81+8/69+9/60 and a dash of 6/16 from illumina with 6% developer. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your responses :)

Latest posts

Back