Hair colour help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balayage

Reaction score
Man client with natural base of 3 (or 4 i will post a picture of his hair) wants to dye whole hair with 4 and ends with 5. Which numbers shall I choose to avoid red and orange tones? Last time he dyed hair with number 4 and after some washes he got red/orange tones. Shall I choose 4.1 and 5.1? Anything else? Thanks.
IMG_20190630_195313.jpeg

Why do you think he got orange/red tones after washing it a few times?

Why do you think he got orange/red tones after washing it a few times?
To be honest I am an apprentice hairdresser yet. Propably I need to add blue to counter them?

If your client is a natural base 3 and you use a level 4,permanent colour, this will lift up to a level 4 which will then expose red tones in the hair. See lightening curve attached. The tint that you applied (4) will already contain the amount of red tones you would find in a natural base 4 so you're adding to the existing red tones too. To be honest I'd re think the colour choices. There really isn't going to be much of a contrast between a 4 and a 5. It will more than likely just look like the colour has faded slightly on the ends.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 27
If your client is a natural base 3 and you use a level 4,permanent colour, this will lift up to a level 4 which will then expose red tones in the hair. See lightening curve attached. The tint that you applied (4) will already contain the amount of red tones you would find in a natural base 4 so you're adding to the existing red tones too. To be honest I'd re think the colour choices. There really isn't going to be much of a contrast between a 4 and a 5. It will more than likely just look like the colour has faded slightly on the ends.
You again. Always helpful. [emoji173]️
He want to be a brunette. As you can see his color is quite dark and it's natural. And he eant to highlight the ends 1 level. Or just lift the color to the whole head 1 to 2 tones. What do you suggest? I mean what numbers. 4.1? 5.1? Or anything else?

You again. Always helpful. [emoji173]️
He want to be a brunette. As you can see his color is quite dark and it's natural. And he eant to highlight the ends 1 level. Or just lift the color to the whole head 1 to 2 tones. What do you suggest? I mean what numbers. 4.1? 5.1? Or anything else?
The best way to get a clean level 4 would be to lift the hair beyond a level 4 and then deposit the level 4 with correcting tones.

The best way to get a clean level 4 would be to lift the hair beyond a level 4 and then deposit the level 4 with correcting tones.
When you say lift you mean bleach hair? Or what?
He wants to dye hair 1 or 2 tones with a normal dye. Nothing special. But he wants to avoid orange/red tones.
4.1 or 5.1 wont work? Blue can counter those tones I think.

No blue counteracts orange. You will expose a lot of red tones, so you need an intense green Ash but sometimes the amount of Ash you need to rid of the red will leave the colour so dense that yiu won't feel like you've achieved the 1 level of lift. The best was to achieve a cooler result and a lighter base is to prelighten the hair first then deposit the desired tone. It's inevitable that hair colour fades, if you lift it with tint and achieve a cooler result, the Ash tones will still dipleate over time and expose the underlying red anyway.

Latest posts

Back