Hair colour help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolled up

Reaction score
Right geeks i need your help please :)

Had a client in yday (sister in law) who wanted to go a warm medium blonde with light blonde highlights. She is a natural base 5 With about 2 nches of regrowth and had last coloured her hair with a semi at the start of this year (box dye brown) she had previously coloured it with a permanent brown (again a box dye) as she was bright red before and wanted to go back brown so there was red coming through on the ends.

I used blondi rae first to lift the red on the ends out, then did a full head bleach with 6% but her roots took better than i thought (previous times they have needed 9% and havent gone lighter than yday) so after the bleach we were left with darker ends. I used NXT 7.3 on the roots with 3% and 8.3 on the ends with 6% to get the colour even but the roots have now got a greeny tinge to them :/ should i have pre pigged the roots first and how could i correct this? I doing the higlights this weekend. The whole roots havent got a green tinge just in parts. Please help me as my brain has turned to mush aha! Thanks, Amy x

Last edited:
Pics

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561706.407348.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561706.407348.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 276
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561718.379465.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561718.379465.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 317
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561735.072892.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561735.072892.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 262
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561750.305043.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561750.305043.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 273
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561767.240114.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336561767.240114.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 288
Right geeks i need your help please :)

Had a client in yday (sister in law) who wanted to go a warm medium blonde with light blonde highlights. She is a natural base 5 With about 2 nches of regrowth and had last coloured her hair with a semi at the start of this year (box dye brown) she had previously coloured it with a permanent brown (again a box dye) as she was bright red before and wanted to go back brown so there was red coming through on the ends.

I used blondi rae first to lift the red on the ends out, then did a full head bleach with 6% but her roots took better than i thought (previous times they have needed 9% and havent gone lighter than yday) so after the bleach we were left with darker ends. I used NXT 7.3 on the roots with 3% and 8.3 on the ends with 6% to get the colour even but the roots have now got a greeny tinge to them :/ should i have pre pigged the roots first and how could i correct this? I doing the higlights this weekend. The whole roots havent got a green tinge just in parts. Please help me as my brain has turned to mush aha! Thanks, Amy x

is .3 gold in NXT? I would probably highlight with bleach 3% and put a semi in between to even it out. I would just use a neutral base too rather than gold.
You may want to water the 3% down for the root then use 3% as normal on mid lengths and ends, to counteract the root glow.
I cant see a greeny tinge myselfbut it may be the pics.
On the semi, go a shade darker than you previously did and this should cover it....
Sorry if that not much help babe, suffering from brain mush myself today!! xxx

Thanks hun! yes .3 is gold, she wanted it quite warm. Panic over now as she called me to tell me it was greeny (didnt look green when i did it) but has been into the hairdressers next to her work and asked her friend about it. I spoke to the hairdresser on the phone and there is no green tinge aha! It just looked greeny to the client :/ i am doing her highlights tonight now, going to use a toner but i dont know which one. I have prviously asked on here about a violet toner and someone told me that i could use a light blonde NXT colour and add violet pigment but ive already got some 11.02 could i use that with 6%? Its superlight natural pearl blonde btw xxx

11.02 wont lift her existing tint babe, Id use bleach....
thought i couldnt see green!!
xxx

I meant bleach highlights then tone with the 11.02 :) would that be ok as a toner? Xx

I meant bleach highlights then tone with the 11.02 :) would that be ok as a toner? Xx

Don't know about nxt but I've never known a brand you can tone with a highlift, I always use base 10/9 depending on the hair I'm toning and the result I'm aiming for

hi hon i prob wouldnt tone with an 11 it would be too harsh, i tend to go for a 9/10 and this still keeps it very light espesh if put on wet hair and kept an eye on. xxx

Agree, I would lift then tone with 8 or 9. Do NXT do pure toners like Matrix? If youre looking for honey tones then 8 or 9 would be fine to tone, but Id use the Quasi range if they have one
xxx

Thanks everyone :) just thought if ask about the 11.02 as I didn't have time to run to capital and that was the only light colour I had :/ didn't need to tone in the end tho :) just half head highlights with 3%. (pic taken in artificial light) xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336603007.723751.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336603007.723751.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 462
Lovely :biggrin: And not at all green :wink2: xx

Thank you :) yep no green aha! She wants to go lighter now :) ive never done highlights with 3% before (havent really done many since college and was always taught to use 6-9%) and im amazed how it lifted so well! I thank salon geek and all you lovelys for this :) xx

For future reference, personally I wouldn't tone with an 11. as I *think* it's a high-lift shade?? Anyway, you can end up lifting the roots (ginger) and making the ends go blue/purple. Also, using 6% doesn't seem right to me as it's lifting, not depositing.

I always use an 8 or a 9, usually a violet with 3% or 1.9%.

I have read to never put a permanent over bleach, even when toning, but have had no problems.

But, it all turned out great by the looks of it :):) x

Ok now she wants to go darker instead but still With highlights. She's asked her hairdresser friend and she has said to mix 6 & 6.3 together and put that on the hair that's not being highlighted does that sound ok? I e got a feeling it's still gonna be too warm and that's what she doesn't like about it :/ xx

I don't use NXT colours, but of its the same as loreal, I would avoid using the .3 as isn't that gold? .. And with it being so warm already, that would be adding more warmth which, you say, she doesn't like. Personally I would opt for something with blue ash to counteract the orange tones.. Not sure what that is in NXT range. (.1?)
Hth x

Ok now she wants to go darker instead but still With highlights. She's asked her hairdresser friend and she has said to mix 6 & 6.3 together and put that on the hair that's not being highlighted does that sound ok? I e got a feeling it's still gonna be too warm and that's what she doesn't like about it :/ xx

Well first of all you need to do a consultation to determine the all over shade shed like to be and then you can take into account her existing colour and choose and appropriate tint to give you the desired result.
If the other hairdresser has done this and she picked out a 6.3 then I definitely wouldn't use this. Is nxt are the bases natural or neutral? If natural then I'd say a base 6 with 6% just incase you get creeping oxidation still

I know right? I said this to her (about it still being warm ) but she said its ok. :/ don't think she'll like the outcome tho. Didn't think you could mix permanents? That's what I was taught anyway. I said ash but the hairdresser said no which Is making me doubt my decision :/ think they are neutral but I'm not sure and I cant check now cos I'm at work :/ x

You need the blue ash to counteract the orange tones to give you a neutral base colour.. I think it would be best for your client to look and show you pics of what her desired result is because perhaps her definition of 'warm' is different to yours :) .. Xx

This is the photo she sent me so I'm thinking just a flat 6 as this is still quite warm? Xx

Latest posts

Back