Hair colour PPD allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdavies

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help me please. My hair is medium brown and I would say I’m about 80% grey. Im allergic to PPD. My hairdresser said she can start putting some bleach foils in my hair but it will take some time because I’m dark. Does anyone know of a toner I can use that will take the brassiness out but will not effect the brown that’s still in my hair. I’m not ready to completely transition to grey I’m only 40 but I’m willing to go lighter just don’t know what my options are

My hairdresser said she can start putting some bleach foils in my hair but it will take some time because I’m dark.

Don’t understand this comment.
If you want to be much lighter, she just needs to put more bleach foils in. Shouldn’t take several appointments unless she’s taking out old colour, but if you’re allergic to PPD, that seems unlikely?

Not all colour products contain the same ingredients so you’d need to be patch tested for each one. You might find more tolerance for a semi-permanent colour that doesn’t need mixing with developer.

Can you stick to using a good salon quality purple shampoo as a toner?

Don’t understand this comment.
If you want to be much lighter, she just needs to put more bleach foils in. Shouldn’t take several appointments unless she’s taking out old colour, but if you’re allergic to PPD, that seems unlikely?

Not all colour products contain the same ingredients so you’d need to be patch tested for each one. You might find more tolerance for a semi-permanent colour that doesn’t need mixing with developer.

Can you stick to using a good salon quality purple shampoo as a toner?

That’s my question if I’m going bleach highlights from Med brown my hair may take a yellow tinge. When that happens normally a toner is applied to get the desired blonde colour but I’m allergic to PPD that’s in most toners and most salon purple shampoos. I didn’t know if there was anything I could use that toned the colour down but didn’t have PPD in. My preference would be to stay brown but there’s nothing I can use other than henna. I used to use clairol nice and easy 6 to 8 washes but it started turning my roots yellow. My hair has built up some colour but there’s loads of golden tones to it. I’m just conscious the colour isn’t going to take and once I’ve committed to going bleach I can never go back

Most purple shampoos that I’ve used don’t contain PPD (Paraphenylenediamine)
Try Osmo Super Silver No Yellow shampoo.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Trioleate, Amodimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzophenone-4, Parfum (Fragrance), Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Triethylene Glycol, Ci 60730 (Ext D&C Violet No2)

I highly recommend fanola no orange shampoo for dark hair that throws gold, I use it on mine every third wash, leave on for 5 mins xx

Latest posts

Back