Hair colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillianR

Reaction score
Hi hoping someone can help me here. I have been using home colour for a long time. I normally use a purple/plum colour on my hair and it has now faded out to a reddish colour. After a disappointing salon experience months ago I have finally decided to go to another professional to have my hair coloured. I understand that red isn't an easy colour to cover and my hairdresser has advised against stripping the current colour out as it is damaging to hair. I am hoping she will be able to colour my hair brown, she has said that she may have to go quite dark but I was just wondering if someone on here could tell me roughly how dark she will have to go?

I can upload a pic of my current hair colour once my phone has charged if that will help any.

Thanks in advance
:)

Is your hair damaged at the moment?

A light cleanse using bleach will not be damaging if applied correctly and if it's just to remove the tone.

Why not go to a salon that has experience with corrective colour?

Agree with Kimi. It sounds like you need to find a more experienced colourist.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you? We have a few excellent Scottish geeks on here, including Kimi!

Agree with Kimi. It sounds like you need to find a more experienced colourist.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you? We have a few excellent Scottish geeks on here, including Kimi!

Are you a Mod??!!! Just noticed!!

Thanks for the replies I don't think my hair is too damaged as I don't use straighteners and I use my hairdryer on a low setting but I have been dying my hair for about 12 years and have had 2 perms previously so not sure how much damage really. I have been previously diagnosed with stress induced alopecia and I have bouts of psoriasis on my scalp, so not sure if that has anything to do with why she has advised against stripping it (cant remember if I told her or not). Previous salon refused to strip it as well. I live in Ayr.

do you use XXL live colours?

that might be the reason they have refused to strip your colour.

I have previously used XXL but they tend to cause discomfort on my scalp so had to stop using them. I think the last one I used was Violet Vendetta by L'Oreal Feria (hope it's ok to put the name on here)

That might be why they don't want to do it. They are notoriously challenging to remove.
It's not about being a good colourist, just something this things won't budge.

I didn't mention to her which brand of dye I used although she does know its a home done dye job. A previous attempt at a salon was unsuccessful in changing the colour. The only thing that was different was the three inches of root grow out which was a lovely shade of brown. I should have said something at the time but the girls in the place I went to seemed so determined to convince me it worked but I would need several touch ups to finish it so I wound up just buying another box of feria :(

Trying to upload a couple of pics of my current hair colour. Hopefully it will work. I do have to say though the red is a bit brighter in natural light than is showing on my screen but not by that much.

20140902_214745.jpg 20140902_215145.jpg

I'm hoping eventually to have my hair light brown/ honey as my eyebrows are quite light and Im terrified of having them tinted lol may even go as far as back to blonde.

hi everyone :) i would be very very thankful if someone tell me how to achieve this color of the picture.I'm asking for the numbers of catalog for example Wella Kolestone

Attachments

• 345de3cf2e45d83c8eaee49d540e35e1.jpg
    345de3cf2e45d83c8eaee49d540e35e1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 118
hi everyone :) i would be very very thankful if someone tell me how to achieve this color of the picture.I'm asking for the numbers of catalog for example Wella Kolestone

Are you a hairdresser? We can't give you the "numbers of catalog" if you aren't. By the sounds of it your not, best go to a salon x

Latest posts

Back