Hair colourist, is she right?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe30

Reaction score
Hi, I recently had my regrowth done with highlights. The highlights are much lighter than the rest of my hair and also much thicker than my previous highlights. I asked for it to be fixed and they said it just needs a toner. I’m really not convinced. Any opinions would be great as I don’t want to do the wrong thing. It just looks terrible :( pics attached

Nope, I’m not seeing terrible at all.
Naturally, if you already have some existing highlights, then adding some more will make your hair look overall much lighter.
That’s entirely normal.
Clients who have a half head or T lights every 8 weeks or so sometimes opt for a few lowlights to be added every 3rd or 4th appointment, to create more of a contrast.
However, if you want a more natural sun kissed highlighted look, you need to opt for a balayage technique, but it will leave your roots darker. Also, expect to pay more for the service because it’s usually carried out by higher skilled hairdressers.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply, appreciate it. Would the same apply if I just had the highlights done on my regrowth not through the lengths? Would you agree that just a toner on the roots will fix this? They also did just very chunky highlights, where as I usually have, (and asked for) baby lights for more of a natural look. It looks so bad at the moment I can’t wear my hair down. I’ve attached some more pics in better lighting. Just to add the previous place I went for highlights left me with a weird orange band below the now very blonde roots. (I discussed this also with the hair colourist, and asked if she could do anything about it but she didn’t). Just a mess, I just worry a toner alone won’t fix this.

A toner won’t change the colour of your roots, no.
Now you’ve put up another picture, I agree it‘s not a great job and could definitely be improved.
The original pics you posted were only showing as thumbnails for me so they didn’t look that bad.

However, whether the current hairdresser can improve it or not, I can’t really say. The fact they’ve suggested just adding a toner sounds like they’re not too interested in whether the client leaves happy or not.

Have you any friends you can ask for a recommendation for a good colourist for where you live? Years ago there was a young woman with fabulous hair working on the supermarket checkout and I complimented her hair and asked her where she got it done. She was happy to tell me and that was my hairdresser sorted for the next few years. :)

A toner won’t change the colour of your roots, no.
Now you’ve put up another picture, I agree it‘s not a great job and could definitely be improved.
The original pics you posted were only showing as thumbnails for me so they didn’t look that bad.

However, whether the current hairdresser can improve it or not, I can’t really say. The fact they’ve suggested just adding a toner sounds like they’re not too interested in whether the client leaves happy or not.

Have you any friends you can ask for a recommendation for a good colourist for where you live? Years ago there was a young woman with fabulous hair working on the supermarket checkout and I complimented her hair and asked her where she got it done. She was happy to tell me and that was my hairdresser sorted for the next few years. :)
Hey and thanks again for your reply, it’s nice to know that I’m not goi g crazy and this isn’t a good job at all. I’ve just love to Guildford from London and unfortunately there don’t seem to be many good colourists here. I’ve asked around and people who have been here years all struggle to find someone good. I know it’s so difficult to say when you’ve just seen pictures but is there anything you can recommend I ask the salon to do, I’m going back tomorrow. They’ve scheduled in an hour and I’m seeing the most experienced colourist at the salon (been there 25 years which sounds good but makes me think she might not be up to date on new techniques). My roots look really stripy almost black and white and then there’s this orange band leading into my usually fine highlights. I’m at a loss and am so worried they will do something to make it even worse! I wear my hair up everyday with having a baby and this is what it looks like when up. I’ll attach a pic. Just looks terrible :( you don’t happen to know anyone good based in Surrey do you ? (Long shot) lol

Attachments

• F4E01F81-B525-4388-9CE7-407E40D43A7B.jpeg
    F4E01F81-B525-4388-9CE7-407E40D43A7B.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 43
  • 500EC595-7DE6-4B85-9140-9C96972E74A1.jpeg
    500EC595-7DE6-4B85-9140-9C96972E74A1.jpeg
    708.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 411B1C6C-462C-4046-A7E1-92ABCF2321D0.jpeg
    411B1C6C-462C-4046-A7E1-92ABCF2321D0.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 43
Hey and thanks again for your reply, it’s nice to know that I’m not goi g crazy and this isn’t a good job at all. I’ve just love to Guildford from London and unfortunately there don’t seem to be many good colourists here. I’ve asked around and people who have been here years all struggle to find someone good. I know it’s so difficult to say when you’ve just seen pictures but is there anything you can recommend I ask the salon to do, I’m going back tomorrow. They’ve scheduled in an hour and I’m seeing the most experienced colourist at the salon (been there 25 years which sounds good but makes me think she might not be up to date on new techniques). My roots look really stripy almost black and white and then there’s this orange band leading into my usually fine highlights. I’m at a loss and am so worried they will do something to make it even worse! I wear my hair up everyday with having a baby and this is what it looks like when up. I’ll attach a pic. Just looks terrible :( you don’t happen to know anyone good based in Surrey do you ? (Long shot) lol

I agree with @AcidPerm, a toner alone won’t fix this. There are different bands of colour. You definitely need a balayage technique, maybe “air touch” the hair would be sectioned and elevated and a hairdryer taken to it to blow out the shorter length (take a look online) and the stylist could then lowlight the shorter length and foil the longer length to remove the bands. I live in Surrey but unfortunately work nowhere near! I’m in North London for work. I can’t unfortunately think of anybody off the top of my head to recommend in your area, however, I have just had a little look on Instagram, check out @jasminehatchhairdressing, I can’t personally say I’ve seen her work in the flesh or know her by any means but the work on her page is great!

I agree with @AcidPerm, a toner alone won’t fix this. There are different bands of colour. You definitely need a balayage technique, maybe “air touch” the hair would be sectioned and elevated and a hairdryer taken to it to blow out the shorter length (take a look online) and the stylist could then lowlight the shorter length and foil the longer length to remove the bands. I live in Surrey but unfortunately work nowhere near! I’m in North London for work. I can’t unfortunately think of anybody off the top of my head to recommend in your area, however, I have just had a little look on Instagram, check out @jasminehatchhairdressing, I can’t personally say I’ve seen her work in the flesh or know her by any means but the work on her page is great!
Thanks so much @james28 thats really helpful, can I ask where about you are in north London as I’m sometimes in Finchley and would love to find someone good. I went back to the salon and they ‘fixed it’ by doing more highlights and through the band, then put on a warm toner as the roots were so light and now lighter with more highlights and a ash toner through the ends, so it now looks ginger at the roots, the band is still visible and the lengths just look dull and awful. I’m thinking I just have to accept my hair now as I don’t want to keep bleaching it. Nightmare!

Have you tried Goldsworthys? They're Guildford way, if not guildford itself.
Very top end, but exceptionally good.
They may have a senior training session you could be a model for.
At the least they can advise what to do next.

Latest posts

Back