Hair damaged by professional, advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelbyday

Reaction score
I'm really looking to explain what's happened to me the last couple of weeks and see if anyone can give me any advice about what I can do from here.

I used to have rich, plum hair with 99J extensions. My own hair was in very good condition, to a couple of inches below my shoulder. I'm getting married next year, and I had been thinking about changing my hair colour for the wedding, to something more natural.

I spoke to my hair dresser about lightening it to a dark blonde (I realised this would take time) and she suggested changing it now, which would give us plenty of time to get through some stages of colour change before the wedding. she took a hair sample (a full length piece) and said she'd test it to see how well the colour pulled out. after a week or so she said it lightened well and booked me in to have it done.

On the day, she removed my extensions and did what i thought was 2 bleach baths (although she said it was something else, not bleach, it was blue like bleach). the first time it lightened my hair to a deep orange colour, and the second time, to a very mixed result, some blonde, some very "pink". To my surprise, she then put a colour on straight over this - i THINK it was a 7.13. This looked reasonable after drying in the salon lights. I then had some new extensions put in and left.

Over the next few days, in natural light, I could see that my colour was very patchy. The roots were one colour, the lengths another, and in some places (primarily where I straighten my hair more often, like around my face) there were really orange patches (this is not just brassy, but very warm indeed). I sent photos and she asked me to come back. A week after my first appointment I returned.

She said my hair had "oxidised" and i'd need bleach on it to even it out. After an hour, she took the bleach off and immediately i could see damage. My hair was in small spirals (it's usually straight). When she started to blow dry it, pieces broke off. at this point, what I really wanted to do was leave, but my hair was now yellowy and looked a total state. She put an 8.13 colour on my hair (she said it was with a 10% peroxide so it wouldn't do any more damage). The resulting colour is really quite nice, but my hair is ruined. She told me not to use heat on my hair and I went home to cry.

After 3 days I washed my hair. It felt weird, not like hair at all, almost like soft jelly. pieces broke off as I was washing it. I dried it on cold setting, but it took almost an hour to dry. I can't put my fingers through it while it's wet. I dried it straight with a paddle brush as best as I could do, but it looks like cotton candy. The ends look like I've had an electric shock. I've had to cut off the very worst damage around my face. I've lost maybe an inch and a half through breakage and am sure this will continue for some time yet.

I have a good job and it's embarrassing going into work looking like a fluffy mess.

I've spoken to my hair dresser again today (almost 2 weeks after original appointment) as she wanted to put my extensions back in tomorrow. I've said I can't have this done, as the state of my hair is so bad that I couldn't look after it between the extension hair. She offered to do a "global keratin treatment" on my hair to "strengthen it and improve condition".

I've looked this up, and there are many people saying it has dried their hair out... I can't see how using another chemical on already chemically damaged hair is the solution?? Can anyone tell me what I might consider doing now (other than cutting it all off, because the damage is all but the first inch of hair!).

I'd really just like to hear some other professional opinions? I paid a lot of money to have this done, and even more for new extensions, which are now in their box not in my hair!

Sorry about the long post - any thoughts are most welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you've had quite a rough time. It's hard for us to advise on it when we can't actually see it.

Do not get a global keratin treatment. I *think* this is a straightening type of treatment, I just don't think you need any type of chemical treatment on it again just now.

Get to a good salon and ask them to recommend some good aftercare (did your stylist do this?) Schwarzkopf oil miracle range is good, I'd recommend the shampoo, mask and leave in conditioner to you personally. Wella Brilliance range is also good.

All the best xx

I'm really looking to explain what's happened to me the last couple of weeks and see if anyone can give me any advice about what I can do from here. I used to have rich, plum hair with 99J extensions. My own hair was in very good condition, to a couple of inches below my shoulder. I'm getting married next year, and I had been thinking about changing my hair colour for the wedding, to something more natural. I spoke to my hair dresser about lightening it to a dark blonde (I realised this would take time) and she suggested changing it now, which would give us plenty of time to get through some stages of colour change before the wedding. she took a hair sample (a full length piece) and said she'd test it to see how well the colour pulled out. after a week or so she said it lightened well and booked me in to have it done. On the day, she removed my extensions and did what i thought was 2 bleach baths (although she said it was something else, not bleach, it was blue like bleach). the first time it lightened my hair to a deep orange colour, and the second time, to a very mixed result, some blonde, some very "pink". To my surprise, she then put a colour on straight over this - i THINK it was a 7.13. This looked reasonable after drying in the salon lights. I then had some new extensions put in and left. Over the next few days, in natural light, I could see that my colour was very patchy. The roots were one colour, the lengths another, and in some places (primarily where I straighten my hair more often, like around my face) there were really orange patches (this is not just brassy, but very warm indeed). I sent photos and she asked me to come back. A week after my first appointment I returned. she said my hair had "oxidised" and i'd need bleach on it to even it out. After an hour, she took the bleach off and immediately i could see damage. My hair was in small spirals (it's usually straight). When she started to blow dry it, pieces broke off. at this point, what I really wanted to do was leave, but my hair was now yellowy and looked a total state. She put an 8.13 colour on my hair (she said it was with a 10% peroxide so it wouldn't do any more damage). The resulting colour is really quite nice, but my hair is ruined. She told me not to use heat on my hair and I went home to cry. After 3 days I washed my hair. It felt weird, not like hair at all, almost like soft jelly. pieces broke off as I was washing it. I dried it on cold setting, but it took almost an hour to dry. I can't put my fingers through it while it's wet. I dried it straight with a paddle brush as best as I could do, but it looks like cotton candy. The ends look like I've had an electric shock. I've had to cut off the very worst damage around my face. I've lost maybe an inch and a half through breakage and am sure this will continue for some time yet. I have a good job and it's embarrassing going into work looking like a fluffy mess. I've spoken to my hair dresser again today (almost 2 weeks after original appointment) as she wanted to put my extensions back in tomorrow. I've said I can't have this done, as the state of my hair is so bad that I couldn't look after it between the extension hair. She offered to do a "global keratin treatment" on my hair to "strengthen it and improve condition". I've looked this up, and there are many people saying it has dried their hair out... I can't see how using another chemical on already chemically damaged hair is the solution?? Can anyone tell me what I might consider doing now (other than cutting it all off, because the damage is all but the first inch of hair!). I'd really just like to hear some other professional opinions? I paid a lot of money to have this done, and even more for new extensions, which are now in their box not in my hair!
Sorry about the long post - any thoughts are most welcome.

What a shame :-(

Yes the keratin can strengthen hair, but it's not a conditioning treatment. The problem is the treatment is set with hot irons sometimes up to 8 times. I really wouldn't recommend putting that amount of heat near your hair.

In short the treatment is good but your hair couldn't withstand the process.

Invest in an intensive treatment like Philip Kingsley elasticiser and a good cut and unfortunately just leave it alone.

O no your poor hair, my advice would be to get yourself some good products, I like the tigi urban antidotes shampoo and conditioner, they have 3 different levels depending on how damaged your hair is. Try and stay away from heat and get regular haircuts, every 6 weeks. It will get better but with a lot of tlc. Also do not go back to that hairdresser! X

Latest posts

Back