Hair dilema with finding a nice blonde!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

Iv been having my hair coloured blonde since my teens, and lately my hair colour has been too brassy/yellow tones and im finding it difficult to get the COOL BLONDE COLOUR , but still look like natural blonde hair, not full bleach.

My hair is a natural mousy dark blonde and Iv been going to a salon who use Wella colour.

First I had 12/1 ash blonde but it came out still golden, then my hairdresser said to get the cool blonde, (more of a ash, whitish blonde) shed have to go for 6 % bleach. So Iv been having 6 % bleach highlights and she recommended I have 6/7 chocolate brown with them so its more natural.

I ended up with hair that went darker and darker every time I went for my roots, so she said we can do 2 bleach to one chocolate, but I still felt it was coming out almost stripy, like black and white and not very natural as the two colours were far apart:rolleyes:

So she tried a 5/? something brown colour with the bleach highlights which then turned ORANGE as it faded:irked:

So I went back ,and have the same old stripy effect and my hair condition is somewhat fluffy/thining due to the constant bleaching:cry:

Sorry for the long detail:rolleyes: My question is, is there such a thing as a colour that can lift the hair to a cooler blonde that has no golden or yellow tones, rather than using bleach as my hair is not in a good place right now:irked:

If bleach is the only answer is there a brown shade or darker ash shade to tone it down without going dark or GREEN as my hairdresser says??

Im sure its very difficult to advise without looking at my hair but Id really appreciate advice on getting a cooler shade of blonde:) Or am I expecting miracles:smack:

cheers

nenee

With L'Oreal, we would use a toner (called PO1) to tone down the warmth/ redness, ( - you can use toners to add warmth too, but this particular one removes it) I'm not sure if there is an equivalent in Wella though :s

Hi nenee, This is a hard one as highlights tend to get all muddled up together and you get blonde ones being colored brown and brown ones being lifted back to blonde again ,
then fade becomes involved making the brown ones that were previously blonde become a dull brassy blonde and they all get mixed up together.

Your hairdresser may have a better chance of picking the same ones up again if you just stick to one colour for now.

So perhaps have the scattered bleached blonde ones that you like ,
then just stick to those and then your hairdresser could try then to pick out the same ones when you need a root regrowth .

To answer you question about the cool ash brown tones , this would be a very bad idea to apply ash on previously bleached hair as it can grab and go far too dark and khaki tones can arise making your hair look dirty and Grey looking
it would be wise to stick to more golden brown bases of sixes and sevens no
lower as grab can occur and go far too dark :eek: .

Your hairdresser could try a toner for the blonde highlights in colour fresh 8/81 silver ash , this would be ok as a refresher treatment for you as it will not grab .

but do make sure it is colour fresh and not colour touch .

and perhaps you could use a silvering shampoo in between.

Hard to explain I know,
but your hairdresser could maybe clarify it a bit better for you
as she will show you on you're actual hair :hug: x

hi , what i think makes a nice soft ash blonde is a mix of pale bleach h/l and a hard ash like 7.1 mixed with something a little warmer( we had run out of colours when we tried this )like 7.7 . otherwise you could carry on with the hi lights and have a slightly deeper warm neutral toner on(the warmth is nearly always absorbed when going darker) like 8.03 med beige blonde this would blend in regrowth too depending on how dark you are . this gives more of a natural classy blonde rather than a white icy sarah harding blonde!

Hi there

thanks for your help on this issue, it sounds complicated too me only be a nail and skin geek :eek:, I guess I need to go to a colourist and take your great info with me, it also sounds like its a difficult one to get right

cheers everyone

nenee:)

Hi before I was a hairdresser i was always in there and it never was what i wanted which is realy annoying if you constantly go back and its always not how you would like it!! maby you could consider changing to another salon? as your hair is damaged see a seniour colourist and during the consultation take the colour chart and hold the colours you like against your head then make the strands the size you would like your highlights also I would recomend deep conditioning treatments your stylist will be able to advise you on one you could buy at a salon to use at home hope this helps a little bit:hug::green:

Hi before I was a hairdresser i was always in there and it never was what i wanted which is realy annoying if you constantly go back and its always not how you would like it!! maby you could consider changing to another salon? as your hair is damaged see a seniour colourist and during the consultation take the colour chart and hold the colours you like against your head then make the strands the size you would like your highlights also I would recomend deep conditioning treatments your stylist will be able to advise you on one you could buy at a salon to use at home hope this helps a little bit:hug::green:

I know I am starting to feel im too fussy and i get embarrassed asking or if i want to try a different colour i feel guilty as I am not happy with what shes doing, its a vicous circle:irked:

Im also worried about changing to a different colourist in case they get it wrong also and i end up bald with all the colours im having:cry::cry:

Iv found a hairdressers near me, who have a finalist in the loreal colour competition working for them, does this mean she will be experienced and the best in her field, I know its most probably a silly question but does it mean she knows everything about colouring, highlight issues etc or that shes good at the new colour styles etc:!:

good advice about the strands etc il be doing that thank you

cheers

nenee

sounds all good what I would do is book a consultation with your new colourist and see what she says as i cant see your hair cant tell how damaged it is!!! Also you got any friends who swear by their colourist and always get what they want maby they could advise you?? Dont be afraid to change as its your hair and your paying to get what you want!!!! The consultation is vital she should discuss life style examine the hair visualy and by touching it and explain axactly what shes going to achieve and what canot be achieved due to damage etc if your not 100 percent comfortable with the consultation dont book just say youl be in touch usualy if you phone a salon thele offer a free consultation(i worked where my boss was a wella mastercolourist she was amazing and she always took time to do a thourough consultation and I do the same I hope this helps you out!!!:)

Thank you thats brilliant advice, il book a consultation and see how I get on

cheers

nenee:)

Latest posts

Back